Thief Nabbed for Stealing from Sleeping Hospital Patient

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thief Nabbed for Stealing from Sleeping Hospital Patient

Post by pissontheroof »

cabron wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:42 am
atst wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:53 am Who needs 3 phones and needing them while in hospital?
in Cambodia phones is a symbol of prestige, one have IPhone but sleep on floor.
I got 4 iPhones ( 2 not have sims , not used for the phone part )
I got 2 new macbook 💻 and 10 iPads ..
and a few androids i never use them ..
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Yobbo wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:33 am
atst wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:53 am Who needs 3 phones and needing them while in hospital?
Are we victim blaming again?
Oh great! This may be a good time for me to standup upon my horse & show everybody how virtuous I am!
:bigeyes:
I knew after I posted someone would react but not at all your reading to much into my question, settle down
I'm puzzled by someone needing 3 phones my life must be to simple I've only needed one but do have two sim cards
Last edited by atst on Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

cabron wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:42 am
in Cambodia phones is a symbol of prestige, one have IPhone but sleep on floor.
One for selling whitening cream.
One for barrang.
One for boyfriend.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The perp lives in the death street.. ;-)
Captain Bonez
Baked
Nigeria

Post by Captain Bonez »

Maybe she's a roving reporter
If you enjoy noise pollution and obnoxious driving practices, Phnom Penh is the place for you!

This.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Good that the thief was caught.

Missus was telling me that a while back there was a thief at her hospital.

He or she would pretend to be a family relative, join a patient who had lots of family members (and extended family and well-wishers) constantly going in and out, and then steal money and valuables. Rinse and repeat. Lots of patients’ families affected.

Thief was never caught. No one even remembers anyone out of place. There are that many people going in and out of some patients’ rooms. With 4-8 patients in a room, add in all sorts of visitors, and that’s a lot of potential victims.

Unless you are a white or black foreigner. Everyone remembers a foreigner.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

For those who have never been in a Cambodian hospital - providing food, and sometimes even basic care, is left up to the patients' families. So, unlike western hospitals, you do have random people wandering around the hospital wards at all hours.
But normally there will be a family member who sleeps in the same room or close by the patient.

I thought it was a bit weird to suggest that the patient in the OP should have locked her hospital room from the inside. :?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:25 pm Good that the thief was caught.

Missus was telling me that a while back there was a thief at her hospital.

He or she would pretend to be a family relative, join a patient who had lots of family members (and extended family and well-wishers) constantly going in and out, and then steal money and valuables. Rinse and repeat. Lots of patients’ families affected.

Thief was never caught. No one even remembers anyone out of place. There are that many people going in and out of some patients’ rooms. With 4-8 patients in a room, add in all sorts of visitors, and that’s a lot of potential victims.

Unless you are a white or black foreigner. Everyone remembers a foreigner.
So are you saying a foreigner couldn't get away stealing at the hospital? :facepalm:

Or, you're saying Khmers would prefer to steal from foreigners? If thieves knew there was was one in the hospital, they would bypass the locals and target where they reckon the money is?

Why was there even a need to mention foreigners in the context of this story? Why the need to mention white and black?

Dude- you better lighten up..
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Yobbo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:29 pm So very little compassion yet so dastardly enterprising.
Take from people when they are at their lowest & most vulnerable point.
Yes, you are right. But they are at their lowest stealing everything available from someone splattered on the street after being run over and killed on their moto.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:57 pm The perp lives in the death street.. ;-)
Maybe he knows JENNY!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic