How do Foreigners view Cambodians?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Pedrazo
Expatriate

Re: How do Foreigners view Cambodians?

Post by Pedrazo »

Captain Bonez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:22 am They drive like absolute fucking shit and have zero consideration for others when being loud as fuck or care 1 iota about your personal space. Other than that, they're alright.
Some foreigners in Cambodia drive like absolutely shit too.

newsworthy/barangs-involved-fatal-accident-t16687.html

That's not about nationality or ethnicity it's becuz the country has no enforcement of traffic laws.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

FrankReynolds wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:32 am
Captain Bonez wrote:They drive like absolute fucking shit and have zero consideration for others when being loud as fuck or care 1 iota about your personal space. Other than that, they're alright.
I got a week ban for saying less than this Image
I took it in the spirit I assume it was intended, semi-humorously.

As for my foreigner views of Cambodians well, OK, I'll wade in for anyone who cares since the question was asked.

On the downside, I find some can be a bit unwilling to admit they're wrong. I don't expect much when your car which is driving the wrong way down the road forces me - who is driving the correct way - to take aversive action and we make eye contact, but a simple nod or wave of apology or acknowledgement would convince me that you're not a complete asshole. Perhaps this small negative only applies to entitled car-driving types but I think it's synonymous with the broader idea of not thinking about others.

In the interests of balance, there are more things I like about Khmers or I wouldn't be here. Sharing food, chatting, making sure to include strangers / visitors, being generally very welcoming, tolerance levels, not wanting to fight me because I'm bigger than most of them and having a more light-hearted view of day to day life are just some.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Bongmab69 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:07 am i do compare them often with spanish people (as i live overthere also for big part of the year); they come out of a dictatorship in the 70s and the smart people are all killed or run away, the left-overs are usually not the smartest, the difference between spanish and khmer is, the khmer more then once, appolugised, to be not really smart, and the spanish think they are supperior ras, and a big world power (they forget its 500 years ago). That makes me smile a lot in KOW (and in Spain). And fort those who say Khmers are smart: ask anny 20-year old girl you met how much is 93 minus 25 !! ??
What does one define as 'smart'? Intelligent, educated, qualifications, has a lot of knowledge, has a lot of wisdom, a quick mind?

I've heard the argument before too that the KR killed off all the smart people so what is left is dumb people. To my mind, natural intelligence is something that's inherited. Some kids are just bright right from the get go. The rest I think is learned either via parents, teachers and education. Of course, in a country like Cambodia unfortunately, whether you're smart of not, further education opportunity often only comes to those who have well off parents. eg I know a lot of young ladies either via Mrs Cargo's friends or restaurants, shops et al where they're working full time during the day and going to uni at night. So many are trying to lift themselves up.

Also, I'm not sure that maths is high on the curriculum here and many khmers don't even finish high school. I don't think that's an indicator of smartness.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Pedrazo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:32 pm
Captain Bonez wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:22 am They drive like absolute fucking shit and have zero consideration for others when being loud as fuck or care 1 iota about your personal space. Other than that, they're alright.
Some foreigners in Cambodia drive like absolutely shit too.

newsworthy/barangs-involved-fatal-accident-t16687.html

That's not about nationality or ethnicity it's becuz the country has no enforcement of traffic laws.
Generally speaking yes, and many khmers don't even have a licence coz it's not needed under 125cc for moto. Heck, you see kids as young as 8 or whatever riding around.

For those that do have licences here, is the bar set very high in terms of the test and difficulty?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:24 pm
I've heard the argument before too that the KR killed off all the smart people so what is left is dumb people.
That's often bandied about. Many smart people survived by keeping quiet, however a lot of them left via the Thai camps later. Many other educated people who went abroad during the wars since returned. The almost 10 year gap in education for those in the provinces would have made a huge difference though.

Also, I'm not sure that maths is high on the curriculum here.
It used to be mandatory for anyone who wanted to pass their high school exams. Now classes are split into those who want to pursue STEM subjects - for them Maths is mandatory and at quite an advanced level (to me anyway). Those who pursue thesocial Studies angle don't have to do hiigher maths.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

IN MY eyes, if you need a calculator to make 93 minus 25, you are not smart, but of course thats my personal theorie, try to find out where cambodia was ranked in this:

https://factsmaps.com/wp-content/upload ... a-2018.png

strangely, spain either wasnt in, because:
Reading results for Spain were not published after the OECD detected “anomalies” that indicated the students responded unnaturally quickly to the questions – “in less than 25 seconds.” (El País)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:34 pm
For those that do have licences here, is the bar set very high in terms of the test and difficulty?
The bar is 300$ in my province.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:29 pm
I was quoted 100-something to turn any license into a Cambodian one. About double if you have no license to begin with. Also depends on whether you are prepared to go to their office on your own or prefer sending someone else.

I guess if you are local its cheaper and possibly even such a no-issue that nobody really thinks about a license being necessary.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:48 pm
I was quoted 100-something to turn any license into a Cambodian one. About double if you have no license to begin with. Also depends on whether you are prepared to go to their office on your own or prefer sending someone else.

I guess if you are local its cheaper and possibly even such a no-issue that nobody really thinks about a license being necessary.
My price is a quote from the local driving school for locals needing a license for a car.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:04 pm
ItWasntMe wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:48 pm

My price is a quote from the local driving school for locals needing a license for a car.
I hear you.. was actually talking about a license for heavy motorbike. Not sure if they are different but also would expect to pay more if going through a school.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic