Sneaky Phone Thief Takes Advantage, and Gets Beaten by Vigilant Neighbors

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Sneaky Phone Thief Takes Advantage, and Gets Beaten by Vigilant Neighbors

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): At 9:30 am, on September 21, 2021, Chorn Chanda, a 25-year-old man living in Prey Tea village, Sangkat Choam Chao 3, Khan Po Sen Chey borrowed an Oppo cellphone from a 33-year-old woman, Meas Sophal, to make a call, but then he attempted to run away with her cellphone while she was sweeping the floor of her front porch.
The woman immediately shouted out loud ' Stop thief ! ' ,which got the attention of the neighbors, who then chased after the thief, caught him, and got the phone back. Then the neigbors gave the phone thief a beating before the police arrived in time to rescue him.
Nobody was questioned or made to account for beating, and police took him down to the lockup.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: Sneaky Phone Thief Takes Advantage, and Gets Beaten by Vigilant Neighbors

Post by Random Dude »

Every time I see pictures of someone being taken away by the police on the back of a motorbike I wonder how often the cop gets attacked from behind / bike crashes and the guy makes a run for it.

Maybe crims in Cambodia are more trustworthy or less violent or something but I'm pretty sure that would never work in most Western countries.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Random Dude wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:46 am Every time I see pictures of someone being taken away by the police on the back of a motorbike I wonder how often the cop gets attacked from behind / bike crashes and the guy makes a run for it.

Maybe crims in Cambodia are more trustworthy or less violent or something but I'm pretty sure that would never work in most Western countries.
You do realise that he is hand-cuffed. (And has just had the shit beaten out of him.)
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:55 pm
Random Dude wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:46 am Every time I see pictures of someone being taken away by the police on the back of a motorbike I wonder how often the cop gets attacked from behind / bike crashes and the guy makes a run for it.

You do realise that he is hand-cuffed. (And has just had the shit beaten out of him.)
Imagine how hard it would be trying to ride a motorbike while the guy sitting behind you is clawing at your eyes,clubbing you with his fists, choking you with the handuff chain and doing his best to get you to crash so he can make a run for it.
I wasn't specifically talking about this case, it just reminded me of other pics I've seen where I always thought the crim could have easily caused a lot of trouble if he wanted to.
duran
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by duran »

I'm sure the guys driving these police motorbikes are armed. Criminals wouldn't dare make a wrong move.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

The copper is obviously not worried. Heck he is not wearing a helmet and (probably) in sandals.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Hand cuffed behind makes it hard. Are there many plain clothes cops about? Albeit the dude's got some sort of ID lanyard.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

hanno wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:46 pm The copper is obviously not worried. Heck he is not wearing a helmet and (probably) in sandals.
Yep
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

duran wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:38 pm I'm sure the guys driving these police motorbikes are armed. Criminals wouldn't dare make a wrong move.
I'm not so sure the police being armed stops crims fighting back, especially if they think there's a chance they could escape but maybe you're right, presumably if they had constant problems doing it they'd stop.

I just think of all the police shows we see on TV here where idiots getting arrested spit, bite and don't exactly go into the car quietly. It would be hard to imagine having one of them sitting behind a cop on a bike and being co-operative and mellow while he gets taken away.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

When you're a bum in the 3rd world and the police show up it's quite a sobering experience. You know that things are going to get very bad, and from bad to worse with one wrong move. People quickly go from unmanageable to perfectly compliant if they are clear enough to understand what is happening...
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic