Khmer Drone

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Khmer Drone

Post by kagi »

channelnewsasia.com

Cambodian students build manned drone to aid community

PHNOM PENH: Inspired at first by a desire to beat their city's notorious traffic, a group of Cambodian students have designed a prototype drone that they hope can eventually be used to ferry people around Phnom Penh and even help fight fires.

With eight propellers and using a school chair for the pilot's seat, the drone was developed by students at the National Polytechnic Institute of Cambodia (NPIC) on the outskirts of the capital.

"The drone, when we see it flying without a pilot, there is a lot of shaking but when I sit on it and fly ... it becomes more stable and I feel so excited," said Lonh Vannsith, 21, the pilot of the drone.

"We wanted to solve some problems for our society by making a taxi drone and ... inventing drones for firefighters," he said, noting how, for example, they hoped it could reach the upper floors of a building to bring a hose where a fire truck could not reach.

The prototype can carry a pilot weighing up to 60kg and fly for about 10 minutes for a distance of 1km. It took three years of research and development and cost around US$20,000 to build.

While the team hopes it will eventually fly far higher, when manned the drone currently only rises to as much as 4m.

The project faced delays because of lockdowns during the COVID-19 pandemic and also as components like the propellers and the frame had to be ordered abroad, said Sarin Sereyvatha, who is NPIC's head of research and development technology.

The team plans to improve the design to allow it to take more weight, as well as fly further and more stably at a higher level.

"In principle, if we make one drone, the cost is expensive but if we make them to sell on the market, the cost will go down," said Sarin Sereyvatha.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Khmer Drone

Post by Darkcel »

Those little red chairs can barely hold up a drunk, they expect someone to sit in one while it's flying through the air?
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Surely it ceases to be a drone once someone is sat in it?
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Its nice to see some really impressive tech like this being developed here. Hopefully in future there can be some practical use for it.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

canucklhead wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:16 am Its nice to see some really impressive tech like this being developed here. Hopefully in future there can be some practical use for it.
Pretty sure it’s been invented already as they sourced all the parts, including the frame, from overseas (ie China).
It seems all they did was add a red chair and say they hope to go really high and put out fires, but only for 10 minutes (which a km radius it’d take 10 mins to get there).

All good though. Gets their brains working. 👍
People of the world, spice up your life.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

mannanman wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:38 am
canucklhead wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:16 am Its nice to see some really impressive tech like this being developed here. Hopefully in future there can be some practical use for it.
Pretty sure it’s been invented already as they sourced all the parts, including the frame, from overseas (ie China).
It seems all they did was add a red chair and say they hope to go really high and put out fires, but only for 10 minutes (which a km radius it’d take 10 mins to get there).

All good though. Gets their brains working. 👍
And at a 60 kg. weight limit for 10 minutes at 4m, I think their projected flights won't last nearly that long. After all, how much help can 60 kg. (3 of those 20L blue canisters) of water be to a building that's already engulfed in flames??
spielben
Tourist
France

Post by spielben »

This is super exciting. Surely nothing new in the military field, but price of component and availability make it affordable for general public.
I am a professional drone pilot, and I discovered fpv a year ago, since then I have built 4 drones. Nothing as big as the one mentioned above.
but I am very enthusiast with this project and wish them good luck and yes drone are used a lot in different industries
It doesn't take out the long process to outsource, built, tune, fly and crash... :lol:
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

spielben wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:52 pm This is super exciting. Surely nothing new in the military field, but price of component and availability make it affordable for general public.
I am a professional drone pilot, and I discovered fpv a year ago, since then I have built 4 drones. Nothing as big as the one mentioned above.
but I am very enthusiast with this project and wish them good luck and yes drone are used a lot in different industries
It doesn't take out the long process to outsource, built, tune, fly and crash... :lol:
Is drone pilot an actual job or is it like an Instagrammer or youtuber, unless you’re a military drone pilot?
Artisan
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Artisan »

pebbles&nightsky
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

“Car” a Trabant without engine.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic