House arrest in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

House arrest in Siem Reap

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Since Friday lunchtime, significant parts of Siem Reap have been declared red zones and those of us stuck in them are not allowed out. No exercise, no shopping. Nothing.

The announcement came at about the same time it started so no chance to stock up legally.

I might get tired of eating canned food but I won't starve but what about people who aren't (able to be) well stocked up? It forces them to sneak out to the overpriced, behind-closed-doors markets that have already sprung up. By doing this they're breaking the law but what's the alternative?

I read something from the provincial governor saying people had a 'bad attitude' to covid restrictions. Maybe true, I don't know but people have been living (officially) without alcohol for months, everything connected with fun is supposed to be closed and the tourist trade - the lifeblood of the town - collapsed more than 18 months ago. Most people don't have bottomless wealth to fall back on and are really suffering. Is it any wonder if some places were opening in defiance of decidedly murky rules about what was allowed and what wasn't?

The latest extreme measures feel like a punishment for the 'bad attitude'.

Cambodia is now one of the most vaccinated countries in the world, isn't it? Is it not perhaps time to start living with it?
Ahyou!whyme?
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: House arrest in Siem Reap

Post by Ahyou!whyme? »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:17 pm No exercise, no shopping. Nothing.
That is fucking shit. Hope for you and others it's over quickly.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I asked the Missus how she was faring tonight and if she had enough supplies. She told me not to worry as a) her brother has a permit to move out and about and b) she has a supplier who told her that he could deliver anything she needed. I guess most Khmer have similar arrangements.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

If you are not allowed to go to the shop to buy food, water etc, then are these not being delivered to people ?

I find it hard to believe that people have no way at all to get food & water, & are being left to starve to death
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

jaynewcastle wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:40 pm If you are not allowed to go to the shop to buy food, water etc, then are these not being delivered to people ?

I find it hard to believe that people have no way at all to get food & water, & are being left to starve to death
Yes you can get things not a issue maybe not all you want but you can get
The major issue here I think is getting people to wake up before real shit starts, As much for restrictions it will be good in the end I hope
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:17 pm Since Friday lunchtime, significant parts of Siem Reap have been declared red zones and those of us stuck in them are not allowed out. No exercise, no shopping. Nothing.

The announcement came at about the same time it started so no chance to stock up legally.

I might get tired of eating canned food but I won't starve but what about people who aren't (able to be) well stocked up? It forces them to sneak out to the overpriced, behind-closed-doors markets that have already sprung up. By doing this they're breaking the law but what's the alternative?

I read something from the provincial governor saying people had a 'bad attitude' to covid restrictions. Maybe true, I don't know but people have been living (officially) without alcohol for months, everything connected with fun is supposed to be closed and the tourist trade - the lifeblood of the town - collapsed more than 18 months ago. Most people don't have bottomless wealth to fall back on and are really suffering. Is it any wonder if some places were opening in defiance of decidedly murky rules about what was allowed and what wasn't?

Cambodia is now one of the most vaccinated countries in the world, isn't it? Is it not perhaps time to start living with it?
Please read your post again then go to the closest Mirror with no pink champagne on ice and repeat this
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Oumedc wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:47 pm
jaynewcastle wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:40 pm If you are not allowed to go to the shop to buy food, water etc, then are these not being delivered to people ?

Yes you can get things not a issue maybe not all you want but you can get
The major issue here I think is getting people to wake up before real shit starts, As much for restrictions it will be good in the end I hope
What is the 'real shit' that's going to start? :shock:
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

If you didn't get to the bank (assuming you are banked) before the lock down then getting food and water delivered is going to be difficult if you didn't have a lot of cash lying around.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

At least in missus’ village, a 1 day notice was given, to allow villagers time to stock up, etc. in preparation for quarantine. Missus has sent quite a bit of rice and smoked fish and dried pork to the family to prepare for this. Unfortunately, a lot of it has already been eaten.

Younger sister took notice opportunity to sneak out. She’s now stuck somewhere in hinterlands of Cambodia.

Sorry that it has come to this.

But remember (according to some members on CEO), Cambodia is doing great and the rest of the country is free and open, with mass tourism to restart soon.

But seriously, please stay safe!
STEVITO
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by STEVITO »

paul2d wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:00 pm If you didn't get to the bank (assuming you are banked) before the lock down then getting food and water delivered is going to be difficult if you didn't have a lot of cash lying around.
Would have been the case 2 years ago. Nowadays the majority of people accept online payments, ABA etc. So even you go to a butchers in Old Market you can do an ABA payment. Some older people might struggle with not having a smartphone/not having a bank account etc but there is usually some support mechanism such as another person in the family paying on their behalf.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic