House arrest in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: House arrest in Siem Reap

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

KunKhmerSR wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:57 pm It's over!
Certainly seems to be! Traffic has reappeared on the road outside and the neighbours have already hit up the market. But is it official yet?

Could you post a source if you have one?

Cheers
KunKhmerSR
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by KunKhmerSR »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:09 pm
Certainly seems to be! Traffic has reappeared on the road outside and the neighbours have already hit up the market. But is it official yet?

Cheers
https://www.facebook.com/TeaSeiha0055

This is the post on the governors FB page. HS orders are a bit buried in the middle

EDIT: Also official announcement is out on the town hall page!
https://www.facebook.com/SiemReap.provincial/
Last edited by KunKhmerSR on Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Kigna wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:24 am The vaccine does not serve to protect but to identify you with the QR code. Inside it is your health information and soon when they implement the digital currency, everything will be in there. As already happens in China, if you are not aligned with the system, your bank account will shut down, you will no longer be able to travel or do things freely. You will be under their rule. So slaves
not only that also the size of your pecker which is, of course, the reason why you're so scared and spread such nonsense. Rabbit holes are meant to serve as permanent accommodation...

Seems the red zone is over. Check points are being dismantled right now. What this will mean for business opening remain to be seen by tomorrow.

I m not all sure that this had to do with progress.Just today the provincial government started random checks, 200 tests per sangkat, to get a clear idea. They might have been planning for a more limited opening tomorrow. Whatever the plan was, it seems that orders from high above turned such considerations into waste paper. The usual crowd celebrates and might believe that it is over, others wonder what will hit us next.

The reasons for the opening are probably more economic and especially the desperate situation of many locals. I am happy to walk a bit and get some things done but then apprehensive that this might turn out to be a dance on top of UXBs which a fuse burning.... Let's hope for the best.
Typhoon28
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Typhoon28 »

I've just driven across town, its coming back to life and the green shirts are shipping out

Sent from my TECNO LD7 using Tapatalk

TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:09 pm

Cheers
Yeah, I have a great source.

My wife asked me if I'd buy her some jewelry if she could get some ice cream for the kids and snicker bars for myself.......

I thought for a few seconds and said - so they've opened things back up? :D

Door slams but a few seconds later I hear the motorbike starting so things are definitely open and we've got some good stuff on the way hopefully!
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

The theory among some locals, which I picked up from some khmer bro's and rellies of the gf over a few ganzbergs, is that the local guv was under intense pressure to keep his job due to rising Covid cases in the city and area and he over-reacted by shutting down everything he could and making as many people as possible stay home, with disastrous results for the local economy and populace. When all the complaints started flooding in, HE got involved and said Stop That Now. So with ill grace the guv cancelled the lockdown, but with threats that he would be going back to HE if we all didnt behave ourselves. Seems a likely theory, maybe a change will be on its way at the provincial hall.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

Pizzalover wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:20 pm
Kigna wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:24 am The vaccine does not serve to protect but to identify you with the QR code. Inside it is your health information and soon when they implement the digital currency, everything will be in there. As already happens in China, if you are not aligned with the system, your bank account will shut down, you will no longer be able to travel or do things freely. You will be under their rule. So slaves
not only that also the size of your pecker which is, of course, the reason why you're so scared and spread such nonsense. Rabbit holes are meant to serve as permanent accommodation...

Seems the red zone is over. Check points are being dismantled right now. What this will mean for business opening remain to be seen by tomorrow.

I m not all sure that this had to do with progress.Just today the provincial government started random checks, 200 tests per sangkat, to get a clear idea. They might have been planning for a more limited opening tomorrow. Whatever the plan was, it seems that orders from high above turned such considerations into waste paper. The usual crowd celebrates and might believe that it is over, others wonder what will hit us next.

The reasons for the opening are probably more economic and especially the desperate situation of many locals. I am happy to walk a bit and get some things done but then apprehensive that this might turn out to be a dance on top of UXBs which a fuse burning.... Let's hope for the best.
I am not going to convince arrogant and rude people. but if you were a little informed you should know that at the world economic forum in davos switzerland they had spoken extensively about it a few years ago. search the internet who is charles schwab.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

hdgh29 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:20 pm The theory among some locals, which I picked up from some khmer bro's and rellies of the gf over a few ganzbergs, is that the local guv was under intense pressure to keep his job due to rising Covid cases in the city and area and he over-reacted by shutting down everything he could and making as many people as possible stay home, with disastrous results for the local economy and populace. When all the complaints started flooding in, HE got involved and said Stop That Now. So with ill grace the guv cancelled the lockdown, but with threats that he would be going back to HE if we all didnt behave ourselves. Seems a likely theory, maybe a change will be on its way at the provincial hall.
I know it's only a rumour but this makes sense.
What doesn't make sense is shutting down only parts of the city based on (presumably) case numbers in individual communes / villages. The thinking there = that's where you got the bug, cos you live there? So that area needs shutting down? Not possible you picked it up elsewhere. I suppose that's what happened in PP a few months back and I never really considered the lack of logic before.

Being trumped by the big man is a hefty loss of face and seems deserved. As for going back to him if we don't behave, it might be easier to behave if the rules are absolutely clear. Most people haven't been 100% sure on curfew, alcohol, bars, dine in, inter-commune travel, sports, gyms etc.

Perhaps the lack of transparency is part of the nature of governance in a country where bureaucracy often functions to facilitate bribes.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Take the opportunity to get some supplies for home just in case there's a change of plans again.
I've got the gf to put a few kilos pork , chicken in the freezer, get large water,case of beer and coke to keep in storage :beer3:
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Kigna wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:49 pm
Pizzalover wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:20 pm

I am not going to convince arrogant and rude people. but if you were a little informed you should know that at the world economic forum in davos switzerland they had spoken extensively about it a few years ago. search the internet who is charles schwab.
You're hijacking this thread for your fear mongering and conspiracy theories. You have nothing, zero, to contribute to the topic. You have no knowledge. As for your rabbit hole nonsense - there is nothing to convince. Wake up, get a life or at least shut up. You are wasting time. People here have more brains than you can afford. Stop bullshitting.

Back on topic. The numbers in SR were bad and the discovery of clusters at an illegal night market and a huge one at Wat Polanka did not help. The governor seemed to have a good strategy. Earlier the week, the city was isolated according to village and not commune anymore. The smaller units would have allowed a more targeted isolation and opening in the coming week and also stopped the runners. On Thursday, the random testing was under way, when the news from the capital broke. The random testing would have provided data to base an opening on. This was sabotaged. It took the esteemed expats less than 2 hrs from the announcement of the strong man to be back on Soksan road. Socializing in groups in front of the bars with a beer in hand and no mask. That was three rule breaks in one. They were celebrating their "victory." Cambodian were not better and walking around in groups without face masks.
To be honest. I appreciate the chance to get to the ATM. Do some shopping and take of some other matters. But it is only a convenience. Foreigners usually had no problems in obtaining almost anything they wanted through deliveries. The restaurant deliveries took a bit time to be fully operational again but such problems are nothing new. We talk about expats complaining on a high level. it was more about life-stile and nothing compared to the suffering within the Cambodian communities. The beer kept coming but the drinking was no longer public.

As for our colonials. I had a neighbor who came as a NGO volunteer with a stipend from her home government. So nice money, little work and a great time. The working was part-time and became less if any when schools closed. She violated as a matter of course all rules. Bringing in people, organizing parties in common spaces. Red zone lock-down? no problem. She disappeared and came back bringing with her people and spreading out. Finally the owner told her to leave and take her crowd with her. Next thing she is on fb and tried to organize transport to Kampot although the town was locked-down. She came to help the Cambodians because she cared so much. SR is like a theater stage where these people perform while creating on social media an entirely different image of themselves that has little to do with their real lives. Pasolini has a master piece, Salo. These characters are not too far from those depicted in the movie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic