House arrest in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: House arrest in Siem Reap

Post by Kammekor »

MaxNormal wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:26 pm
If Cambodia is so far along with its vaccine program and the ratio of deaths to survival continues to get better and better, there really is no need for zones or restrictions. Just open up internally, then when ready, to vaccinated people from outside also, and let the chips fall where they may... I feel like that's maybe callous, but at the same time, I don't see any other way out after a successful vaccination program...
AFAIK there have no detailed numbers been published about the Siem Reap situation. we don't know how many people occupy beds in hospitals, how many are available for regular care, how many are seriously sick, how many died, or nearly dead.... So supporting or criticizing this lock down is kind of hard to do.

IMHO Cambodia is doing relatively well with pin pointed lock downs in specific areas instead of blanket of a nationwide lock down. If you're in such an area it sucks, I know, my village has been locked down for three weeks and I was locked out, but at least the rest of the country is more or less free to go as they please.

If the Cambodian vaccination program has been successful remains to be seen. Time will tell.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Cambo Dear wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:36 am
TWY wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:08 pm I think its pretty clear that while the Chinese vaccines administered here in Siem Reap are effective at preventing most severe illness and death they aren't preventing the spread in any significant way. Cases were nearing 500 a day when they declared the red zone and from what my wife has been told the vast majority of those cases were being discovered at the hospitals as people went to seek care - they weren't "near death" but not in good shape either and there simply isn't much medical capacity here in SR to deal with it.
None of the vaccinations can prevent spread, they reduce the chance that you'll need to be admitted to hospital, thus relieving the pressure on healthcare systems. It is here to stay, it is endemic and the choice now is either accept that and crack on or don't accept that and keep your society in perpetual states of house arrest and allow the possibility of a few deaths destroy the lives of millions. Whatever happened to the ethical stance of 'for the many, not the few'??
So if the Siem Reap health care is overwhelmed with sick people they should just let it run its' course instead of slowing it down?

It's not as if a whole province, or the whole country, has been paralyzed. A few areas have been locked down for a week, or two.
Does that suck? Yes.
Does it suck a lot? Yes.

Is it the end of the world? Probably not.
Was it needed? Maybe.

Do the vaccines work? probably not enough for a full re-opening. I guess that's the real news from this event.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:28 am
Cambo Dear wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:36 am
TWY wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:08 pm I think its pretty clear that while the Chinese vaccines administered here in Siem Reap are effective at preventing most severe illness and death they aren't preventing the spread in any significant way. Cases were nearing 500 a day when they declared the red zone and from what my wife has been told the vast majority of those cases were being discovered at the hospitals as people went to seek care - they weren't "near death" but not in good shape either and there simply isn't much medical capacity here in SR to deal with it.
None of the vaccinations can prevent spread, they reduce the chance that you'll need to be admitted to hospital, thus relieving the pressure on healthcare systems. It is here to stay, it is endemic and the choice now is either accept that and crack on or don't accept that and keep your society in perpetual states of house arrest and allow the possibility of a few deaths destroy the lives of millions. Whatever happened to the ethical stance of 'for the many, not the few'??
So if the Siem Reap health care is overwhelmed with sick people they should just let it run its' course instead of slowing it down?

It's not as if a whole province, or the whole country, has been paralyzed. A few areas have been locked down for a week, or two.
Does that suck? Yes.
Does it suck a lot? Yes.

Is it the end of the world? Probably not.
Was it needed? Maybe.

Do the vaccines work? probably not enough for a full re-opening. I guess that's the real news from this event.
Is there any word from the authorities on the situation at the local hospitals, or is it possible that it's probably only a rumour that the health services are overwhelmed. But even so lockdowns are imposed because they are felt nessasery precautions to ensure the well-being of people, or to confine the problem. Are there large numbers of people being reported sick in the red areas?
How too have people got on with the Chinese herbal medicine being given out freely too them, there were reports that if that type of medicine not being taken properly could cause actual problems.
Also, to mention the vaccines! I recall a few things mentioned of late, one question asked was "how did China have so many Covid19 vaccines already at their disposal". In fact they had so many plentifully, enough to supply too many other countries, and most being that of poorer countries the World Health Organisation gave the vaccine the status of emergency use. Many results on the effectiveness of the results came from those other countries, due to corruption some say figure's are not accurate. Up to date the Chinese have not provided any data source of their own on the vaccine, and it was recently they themselves questioned the effectiveness of the vaccine, implementing that a booster maybe the answer. But again mixed messages seem to come from that country, such as the amount of their own population vaccinated, and they have no problems with Covid19. But their people are to isolate in Cambodia before returning home, due to people before returning with the infection of the virus. But again questionable, firstly, are the Chinese visitors not vaccinated, and China too are giving one of the two vaccines in aid, the second vaccine is paid for by Cambodia at the expense of millions of dollars based on its effectiveness.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

AndyKK wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:40 pm How too have people got on with the Chinese herbal medicine being given out freely too them, there were reports that if that type of medicine not being taken properly could cause actual problems.
Not sure, I asked the Missus to chuck them all.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Here you go, Siem Reap:
Cambodia News, (Siem Reap): The Siem Reap Provincial Administration would like to introduce the action plan for the supply of food and necessary materials during the closure of the red and yellow areas in Siem Reap city, Siem Reap province.

The Siem Reap Provincial Administration is honored to inform the people and the public that the Siem Reap Provincial Administration has decided to block red and yellow areas in Siem Reap to prevent and respond to the spread of Covid -19. In order to facilitate the daily life of the people and the public in the closed area, the provincial administration recommends that all red areas citizens are not allowed to leave their homes or lodges without permission from the competent authorities.
Arrangement of food and essential supplies: Citizens and the public can order daily necessities and supplies by phone or online, organized by the provincial and municipal administrations, and have a delivery team arriving at the residence or hotel free of charge, and transportation costs are paid by the provincial administration.
Citizens and the public can order groceries and daily necessities for sale at outlets that are authorized and determined by the competent authorities in the village, commune, by phone or online, without allowing you to go out to buy directly.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Looks like you get a new red plastic chair with your food, what percentage of people in Siem Reap are vaccinated? Not enough obviously.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

There is a video of an Israeli deputy being recorded talking to his friend and saying that these restrictions are being imposed to try to entice more people to get vaccinated.

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Kigna wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:03 am There is a video of an Israeli deputy being recorded talking to his friend and saying that these restrictions are being imposed to try to entice more people to get vaccinated.

So what does that have to do with Siem Reap, and the alleged current spread of the delta variant of Covid-19 through the Thai-Cambodian border by traders crossing the border ?
:sign17:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:13 am
Kigna wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:03 am There is a video of an Israeli deputy being recorded talking to his friend and saying that these restrictions are being imposed to try to entice more people to get vaccinated.

So what does that have to do with Siem Reap, and the alleged current spread of the delta variant of Covid-19 through the Thai-Cambodian border by traders crossing the border ?
:sign17:
It is part of the lies to close the country in a permanent state of emergency.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

It is part of the lies to close the country in a permanent state of emergency.
That would benefit who exactly?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic