House arrest in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: House arrest in Siem Reap

Post by TWY »

There is an appalling disconnect between the "woke", "spiritual" or whatever self-perception of many SR expats and their total disregard for others.
----------------------

I agree 100%. I'll add to it. A decent percentage of the NGO crowd here in Siem Reap more than fits the description. Their open contempt for Khmer people belies the fact they only have a living by exploiting their sad tale of Cambodia so that they and their families can pretend to be "someone". There are to be special rules for themselves. The Khmer people are not to be around them other than to serve them.

I have a few friends that are Russian. They have said to me more than once that they love Americans, they just hate the ones that keep coming to Russia telling them how to live. Several years ago Russia finally cracked down and threw out a large percentage of the NGO's operating in Russia. Cambodia would do well to do the same.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Typhoon28 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:53 am
One thing to consider is that we have a new police chief who I'm sure is also taking the chance to stamp his authority, puff his chest and send the green shirts out on the hunt for rule breakers.
Sent from my TECNO LD7 using Tapatalk
Good point. From experience in Sihanoukville, there are a lot of expectations when a new police chief takes over, and he usually comes out swinging.

EDit.
Ok, I see that the new police chief of Siem Reap took over just one week ago. This is really new. newsworthy/new-police-commissioner-for- ... 46486.html
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:17 pm The announcement came at about the same time it started so no chance to stock up legally.
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:05 am At least in missus’ village, a 1 day notice was given, to allow villagers time to stock up, etc. in preparation for quarantine.
There was at least 24 hours notice given to SR Residents via media and social media that there was a pending lockdown and that coloured zones would be reintroduced, giving everyone plenty of time to prepare, unlike previous lockdowns in other parts of the country where the announcements were usually made late at night a couple of hours before the restrictions went into effect.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Well that sucks for all affected.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 pm
reggie perrin's dad wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:17 pm The announcement came at about the same time it started so no chance to stock up legally.
newkidontheblock wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:05 am At least in missus’ village, a 1 day notice was given, to allow villagers time to stock up, etc. in preparation for quarantine.
There was at least 24 hours notice given to SR Residents via media and social media that there was a pending lockdown and that coloured zones would be reintroduced, giving everyone plenty of time to prepare,
Well, well...

Far be it from me to argue with PSD-Kiwi about something like this but I'd like to know where and when exactly it was posted.

I knew nothing about it which is not surprising as I don't use Facebook but most Khmers I have spoken to were taken by surprise.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Screw that - if the vaccines work, why lock down; if lockdowns work, why vaccinate? At some point, we're all going to have to accept there is a new type of flu that some (very, very few) people are susceptible to and may die from. That usually means that they are in their 80's and would have succumbed to an illness - any illness that came their way at that time. Locking up healthy people and preventing children from accessing education and other social outlets is sadistic.
MaxNormal
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MaxNormal »

I popped in the restrictions thread and linked to this article: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50939880/c ... siem-reap/ and queried that there is no mention of extension of the coloured zones which are/were up for review today.

As SR residents, if anybody hears further about the coloured closures, could you pop that info in this or the other thread. There are a few of us keen to hear as soon as possible so we can make plans or shop or prepare further for more staycation... :S
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Pizzalover wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:32 pm They are true grandchildren of Empire. Put them into a time machine 150 years back. Some uniform and a whip - they would do perfectly fine.
Hmm, that has a ring or truth...
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:39 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:49 pm
There was at least 24 hours notice given to SR Residents via media and social media that there was a pending lockdown and that coloured zones would be reintroduced, giving everyone plenty of time to prepare,
Well, well...

Far be it from me to argue with PSD-Kiwi about something like this but I'd like to know where and when exactly it was posted.

I knew nothing about it which is not surprising as I don't use Facebook but most Khmers I have spoken to were taken by surprise.
There was a post on fb late (?) Thursday afternoon concerning a complaint by the governor. The people were given shit about yellow zone restrictions, which was true, and that a red zone would be becoming. There was no precise info as to the timing.
The red zone started on Friday 1 pm. The news broke when bridges over the river were blocked. I was in the market early that day and nobody had any idea. When I saw the post about the bridges, by chance, I rushed out to get some stuff not knowing that it was illegal to get out. The official info and a sort of translation came in the afternoon.

One problem is that many are guilty, including me, of not spending their days on FB. The reason might be that we are, sadly, no longer teenagers and, sadly, have other things to do. Secondly, there is always a time gap. This order was particularly badly timed. 1 pm is not good for anyone. They could have waited for the evening curfew at 9PM and all would have been good. People could have stocked up, businesses would have made some much needed money. As result of the chaotic introduction, people were again out on Saturday morning.

The problem is that determined drinkers and gamblers (here the Cambodians take the lead) give a fuck. The drinking and gambling is worse than before as people have more time. It seems that some parts of the police are involved in the procurement of beer. There is no other explanation for seeing boxes of cans, originally packed shipped on motor bikes around a red zone and that regularly as stocks dont survive for long.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

MaxNormal wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:58 am I popped in the restrictions thread and linked to this article: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50939880/c ... siem-reap/ and queried that there is no mention of extension of the coloured zones which are/were up for review today.

As SR residents, if anybody hears further about the coloured closures, could you pop that info in this or the other thread. There are a few of us keen to hear as soon as possible so we can make plans or shop or prepare further for more staycation... :S
That's a different pair of shoes. Some local expats declared this to be the end of the red zone but, of course, they knowingly misrepresent things. The decision on the red zones is due for Friday or Saturday.
It looks bad as the orange zones keep growing:
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50940569/m ... -19-cases/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic