House arrest in Siem Reap

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: House arrest in Siem Reap

Post by Pizzalover »

Deliveries have been sanctioned and arranged. It took until Monday to get the drivers tested and registered. Now things are up and running. At least for foreigners with a phone or access to wifi and a bit of money things should be ok. Add to that the underground economy, virtually anything goes depending on the time of the day.

Some western shitheads are mad that they cannot run around without masks anymore or drink in bars. Several bars had made it a habit to officially on fb announce that they are closed in line with the regulations. In reality it was a code for customers to come by. One bar on concrete road had a line around the front and the shutter down, the last 80 cm open. Behind was the party and that was AFTER the decreed lockdown as a red zone. If the owner is unhappy about the vague info, I can give his full name, name of the bar, day and time. Just to be clear about it, for any grand standing - use the fb account of the governor.

It would be an impressive list to note examples of how last week the yellow zone restrictions were openly breached by many locals and statistically a lot more foreigners.This was addressed by the authorities. At the time, local markets were closed down or operated with less than 50% of the sales spots, the itinerant sellers not counted. The impact on the income of the small guys does not need to be explained.

There is an appalling disconnect between the "woke", "spiritual" or whatever self-perception of many SR expats and their total disregard for others. As long as the party runs, nothing matters. They are true grandchildren of Empire. Put them into a time machine 150 years back. Some uniform and a whip - they would do perfectly fine. One of the biggest local online foul mouths against vaccinations etc. got stuck in a red zone area. Now he cries on fb for help to smuggle his fat body and white face out of SR. Of course he plays the victim and that after being in the city illegally. Since authorities have seized bikes and perhaps or allegedly taken in runners there cant be any doubt what the proposal means.

What we see are some loud foreigners crying about their loss of privilege. Some Westerners and entitled locals continuing as before and also locals who struggle to survive day by day and who have not much choice other than breaking the rules.

Apparently, it will be at least another week, speak up 1. Oct. Many believe that SR wont open before the 8th after the holiday.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Pizzalover wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:32 pm There is an appalling disconnect between the "woke", "spiritual" or whatever self-perception of many SR expats and their total disregard for others. As long as the party runs, nothing matters. They are true grandchildren of Empire. Put them into a time machine 150 years back. Some uniform and a whip - they would do perfectly fine. One of the biggest local online foul mouths against vaccinations etc. got stuck in a red zone area. Now he cries on fb for help to smuggle his fat body and white face out of SR. Of course he plays the victim and that after being in the city illegally. Since authorities have seized bikes and perhaps or allegedly taken in runners there cant be any doubt what the proposal means.

What we see are some loud foreigners crying about their loss of privilege. Some Westerners and entitled locals continuing as before and also locals who struggle to survive day by day and who have not much choice other than breaking the rules.

Apparently, it will be at least another week, speak up 1. Oct. Many believe that SR wont open before the 8th after the holiday.
Couldn't have said it better.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

I'm a bit confused by a couple of the replies. I'm not disputing them, I'm just not sure where people are coming from.

Some people have been breaking the rules openly and I don't believe even bars operating secretly weren't known about by the authorities. What I don't get is why nothing much was done.

This may be a mis-read but I'm getting the feeling that some replies are suggesting the new rules are just deserts.
I think most people have been following the rules. It seems heavy-handed hitting everyone with this.

*I'm not especially woke, nor am I a colonialist hangover. I'm disappointed I can't walk along the river in the afternoon or easily buy food but I'm more concerned about people who aren't stocked up or free and easy with food delivery apps
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

nemo wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:48 pm Image
What are they going to do to my volunteer helpers? :shock:

Seriously though, that could be useful for some here, assuming they'll get food / run errands for those who can't. Cheers :thumb:
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Poor bastards
Typhoon28
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Typhoon28 »

Siem Reap ain't much fun at the moment, lockdown along with shitty roads, business closures and regular heavy rain. Getting battered from all angles.

I also think these current measures are a 'punishment', but rules were never enforced so of course people will flaunt them. The serving of alcohol in bars is an open secret and has been for months. The stopping of all services was worrying at the weekend, thankfully we are now up and running with deliveries etc. The proposed government food distribution system didn't work as expected.

One thing to consider is that we have a new police chief who I'm sure is also taking the chance to stamp his authority, puff his chest and send the green shirts out on the hunt for rule breakers.

The guys,making these decisions have no idea what its like to be in a house alone with kids for days on end whilst trying to work, I'm sure they have their maids, house keepers and entourage to sort that shit out.

Sadly those that are being punished are not the ones that are reeling from this, its the everyday citizens scraping by with an already bad hand, their necessity to go and find food etc for the family outweigh the risk of being caught so they continue.

Hopefully there will be a reprieve by the weekend while they update the ever unclear rules, so we can get to banks and shops and stock up before the end of the month.

Sent from my TECNO LD7 using Tapatalk

Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

Pizzalover wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:32 pm Deliveries have been sanctioned and arranged. It took until Monday to get the drivers tested and registered. Now things are up and running. At least for foreigners with a phone or access to wifi and a bit of money things should be ok. Add to that the underground economy, virtually anything goes depending on the time of the day.

Some western shitheads are mad that they cannot run around without masks anymore or drink in bars. Several bars had made it a habit to officially on fb announce that they are closed in line with the regulations. In reality it was a code for customers to come by. One bar on concrete road had a line around the front and the shutter down, the last 80 cm open. Behind was the party and that was AFTER the decreed lockdown as a red zone. If the owner is unhappy about the vague info, I can give his full name, name of the bar, day and time. Just to be clear about it, for any grand standing - use the fb account of the governor.

It would be an impressive list to note examples of how last week the yellow zone restrictions were openly breached by many locals and statistically a lot more foreigners.This was addressed by the authorities. At the time, local markets were closed down or operated with less than 50% of the sales spots, the itinerant sellers not counted. The impact on the income of the small guys does not need to be explained.

There is an appalling disconnect between the "woke", "spiritual" or whatever self-perception of many SR expats and their total disregard for others. As long as the party runs, nothing matters. They are true grandchildren of Empire. Put them into a time machine 150 years back. Some uniform and a whip - they would do perfectly fine. One of the biggest local online foul mouths against vaccinations etc. got stuck in a red zone area. Now he cries on fb for help to smuggle his fat body and white face out of SR. Of course he plays the victim and that after being in the city illegally. Since authorities have seized bikes and perhaps or allegedly taken in runners there cant be any doubt what the proposal means.

Very very well said. Mày I add that in the last few days
It's been great working in garden fixing sink.

And most of all seeing who ish on face book
Some real strange people at times
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Typhoon28 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:53 am

The guys,making these decisions have no idea what its like to be in a house alone with kids for days on end whilst trying to work, I'm sure they have their maids, house keepers and entourage to sort that shit out.

Sadly those that are being punished are not the ones that are reeling from this, its the everyday citizens scraping by with an already bad hand, their necessity to go and find food etc for the family outweigh the risk of being caught so they continue.

Two excellent points which bear repeating! Well said!
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

reggie perrin's dad wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:04 pm I'm a bit confused by a couple of the replies. I'm not disputing them, I'm just not sure where people are coming from.

Some people have been breaking the rules openly and I don't believe even bars operating secretly weren't known about by the authorities. What I don't get is why nothing much was done.

-------------------------

Well, now something has been done.

The # of cases was steadily rising here in Siem Reap. Over the past two weeks (prior to the lockdown) my wife was coming home from the market telling me that more and more people are sick and in hospital/quarantine. And that more roads/areas were being closed.

Keep in mind that Siem Reap is heavily vaccinated. The authorities here did a pretty decent job of giving vaccines and a high percentage of the population received them. The delta variant has simply overrun the vaccines and far too many people simply assumed that since they were vaccinated they no longer had to be careful.

Personally, I hope they do start raiding the bars and other establishments that break the rules and start to void visas of those attending. Round them up and ship them out!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic