4 Months in Cambodia - Thoughts so far...

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 4 Months in Cambodia - Thoughts so far...

Post by kgbagent »

Great post bro
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Good detailed report,I wish I had your editing talent. You must be a keyboard warrior.
Cheers
MaxNormal
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MaxNormal »

cabron wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:55 pm Good detailed report,I wish I had your editing talent....
Cheers
Thank you. However upon re-reading there are a couple of unfortunate vocabulary repetitions and grammatical errors I would fix, but I know the edit feature turns off quickly on the forum, either that or I can't find the button haha.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

Excellent read thanks for taking the time to write it.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

MaxNormal wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:40 pm
cabron wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:55 pm Good detailed report,I wish I had your editing talent....
Cheers
Thank you. However upon re-reading there are a couple of unfortunate vocabulary repetitions and grammatical errors I would fix, but I know the edit feature turns off quickly on the forum, either that or I can't find the button haha.
Same here cannot find the link for picture attachments.
Boredom is like a shroud
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:28 am nice report;
Dam i miss my first experiences in SE Asia when everything was new and exciting
when you become an expert traveller or even a resident of a foreign country it may be time to leave and open a new blank page in your diary. Those "new and exciting feelings" will come back. There is so much new stuff to discover a life is not enough to cover only a small fraction of it.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

It’s hard to express the feelings that go with first impressions of any place, as they are uniquely your own, but can be coloured a lot by what you’ve already learned. Even just turning a corner in a long road, that you’ve maybe travelled along before.

I arrived for the first time in Cambodia before all this worldwide mayhem. My first experience of Phnom Penh was full of the riverside bustle as it was. I envy you Max, coming in to a more raw version of Cambodia. (Setting aside much of the misfortune that has turned things back for many). In my head rightly or wrongly, I imagine that it’s the more fundamental character of the people; dealing with it, readjusting and keeping moving. I’m a bit of a people watcher. A voyeur; Happy to relax over a beer or a cup of tea, and just observe people going about what they do.

For many commentators here, they’ve known places as they were, and seen it all pulled apart. Not as cataclysmically as a war or some natural disaster, but unsettling and disruptive anyway. You hint at this in your words about the roads in Siem Reap. You are probably going to experience a rebuild instead of a tear down. It’s likely not going to be slow development, more a time lapse fast forward in some ways.

Keep it coming.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

to travel hopefully
is better than to arrive
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Cheers
Are you The Pinstripe Freak?
MaxNormal
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MaxNormal »

Khmu Nation wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:44 pm
Cheers
Are you The Pinstripe Freak?
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about so I would assume not :unknown:

Sorry hehe :P

EDIT: I just googled this and found out who he was. haha... :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic