Current process for obtaining a Khmer driving license

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Current process for obtaining a Khmer driving license

Post by Chad Sexington »

Is anybody up to speed with the current process / documentation requirements etc. for obtaining a Cambodian driving license for a car?
I’m contemplating purchasing a car and want to keep everything legal and above board regarding registration and insurance.
My current driving license and my passport were not issued by the same country (UK passport Norwegian license)
Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Current process for obtaining a Khmer driving license

Post by paul2d »

Instructions for obtaining Driver License from Cambodian Ministry of Public Works and Transport: https://www.mpwt.gov.kh/en/public-servi ... -s-license

Best of luck.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

As your passport and DL are not issued by the same country, you cannot convert to a Cambodian DL, you will have to sit the test. The bright side of sitting the test is that you get a 10 year license.
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Is it true that you don’t need a license for 125cc or less?
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:37 pm As your passport and DL are not issued by the same country, you cannot convert to a Cambodian DL, you will have to sit the test. The bright side of sitting the test is that you get a 10 year license.
Does that have to happen in PP? Or is it possible to take the test in Sihanoukville or Kampot?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Testing only in PP, unless there has been recent changes. See the step-by-step guides below courtesy of CNM Motors...

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:37 pm As your passport and DL are not issued by the same country, you cannot convert to a Cambodian DL, you will have to sit the test. The bright side of sitting the test is that you get a 10 year license.
unless you over something like 50 or 60 than its one year
hence reason i dont give a fuck to posses a Cambodia DL, My thai license is accepted for ASEAN countries an it good for 6 years and only cost me $16

As to it being accepted by the cops,
over the past 15 years driving here i'd say if i get stopped by an English speaking cop, its accepted, Khmer speaking $5-20 fine which i can live with
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I know someone who just got his 10 year. He's in his late 50s.
He had to get his residency certificate from the sangkat.
He had to pass the theory test.
He passed his practical at the fourth attempt. There are some difficult manoevures. Seats and mirrors cannot be adjusted.
You can pay to do an hour of practice before the test. You need to figure out (or be told) the tips for getting the manoevures right.
Btw, if anyone says they did it and it's easy. Yes it was but it's different now. They have a special test centre only for foreigners.
My friend took a Khmer-speaking helper.
All-in cost about $300.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:28 am unless you over something like 50 or 60 than its one year
I believe 10 year licenses aren't issued to those aged 60+...don't quote me in that though.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Ryan754326 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:43 pm Is it true that you don’t need a license for 125cc or less?
Under 125cc the license was abolished some years back, the reason being it was difficult for people living in rural areas to travel too Phnom Penh to take their tests too obtain a license, but that is obviously a law aimed at Khmers. You can ride a moto under 125cc but for foreigners it will always be a gray area.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic