Current process for obtaining a Khmer driving license

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Current process for obtaining a Khmer driving license

Post by Railroad »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:55 pm I guess the answer is in a ABBA song ...
Take a chance on me?
Money money money?
Does yer mother know?
I have a dream?
Gimme gimme gimme (a ban after midnight)?

No, yous got me 'ere. :shrug:
khmerre
Expatriate

Post by khmerre »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 pm Just wondering
why is Cambodia the only country i know of, that requires you to have a drivers license from ur OWN country to renew the Cambodian license in Cambodia?

First time i can get it but than every year??

Are they saying their license is not good enough to get a renewal?
because in a normal country to get/convert the DL you have to give back your old (previous country) DL, but in KoW is different
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Can insurance be obtained with a non Cambodian licence?
People of the world, spice up your life.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

khmerre wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:07 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 pm Just wondering
why is Cambodia the only country i know of, that requires you to have a drivers license from ur OWN country to renew the Cambodian license in Cambodia?

First time i can get it but than every year??

Are they saying their license is not good enough to get a renewal?
because in a normal country to get/convert the DL you have to give back your old (previous country) DL, but in KoW is different
HUH?
i currently posses a valid US Ca license and a Thai license<
before also had a Nepal license
so at one time 3 valid license
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
carlsagan
Tourist
Russia

Post by carlsagan »

I have a US driving license and need to get a Cambodian one, any advise or guidance of where to do this guys ?
Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

International driver's license available, apparently for both Cambodians and foreigners with Khmer license:
According to the Ministry of Public Works and Transport, as to how to apply for a national driver’s license change to an international driver’s license just bring the national driver’s license with some necessary documents, including:

* National driver’s license (original valid for at least 1 year)

* Khmer Nationality Identity Card (Copy certified by the competent authority)

* Passport and visa are valid for at least 15 days (for foreigners)

* Proof of residence (issued by the commune chief for foreigners)

* 4.5 x 4.5 white photos
Source: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501309439/ ... s-license/
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Kiwi info is the way to go..

As for driving here, road rage!!!! I walk and bike around and still find myself like wtf.... Be safe and good luck with the license
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

"International driver's license" is a Myth

AFAIK: a Barang can not get an International driver's PERMIT with a Khmer license, even thou they claim you can
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

If you have your national licence, plus the intarnational-one from your country, you can get insurance for a car. used to rent car at Lyna-garage on 430-street, and they arange everything with the rental contract. And they also arranged me a khmer licence, just with the copies of my national and international-one. But suddenly, I would say in 2018, they said, you dont need anymore a khmer licence, we arrange everything on your IDL.
When i came in with my belgian car at Koh Kong border last december, nobody asked me about insurance or DL. Get stopped by traffic-police twice entering PP, and they had no idea what do to with me, but with my 25 words of Khmer they were convinced i was a good boy and let me go without teamoney. Insurance, as far as i know, not compulsary. In Thailand, yes, compulsary, and they did check it when i entered on the Malay-border.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic