Current process for obtaining a Khmer driving license

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Current process for obtaining a Khmer driving license

Post by Ozinasia »

I went with my International license it was NOT accepted :(
They say not valid in Cambodia been stopped twice both times $5.00 sorted it out
duran
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by duran »

I got my first licence here in 2012. Did the course and the test (despite holding a valid German licence). No regrets as a 10 year licence removes the hassle of renewing it yearly.

When I applied for the licence, I used Lucky Lucky back then. First thing they wanted to see was the course completion certificate.

I lost the licence sometime in 2016 and applied for a replacement (which explains the strange date gap (2012 - 2026)

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Ozinasia wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:24 am I went with my International license it was NOT accepted :(
They say not valid in Cambodia been stopped twice both times $5.00 sorted it out
Was that in a car or motorcycle?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

[/quote]
Was that in a car or motorcycle?
[/quote]
In Car at 64 lifes to short to be riding motor bikes here
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I get mine renting a car in LYNA-garage, on 432str, they arranged me everything for soemthing as 40 dollar if i rmemeber good, but only for 1 year. Had to pay a new-one every year, but suddenly, i think from 2018 they said, you dont need it anymore, your international is now accepted, especially they needed a valid one for insurance on the car. Since that, knever had issues with my international-one. BTW, nice people overthere for a car to rent, speek perfect english, usually older lexus 300s they rent !!
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

do LYNA-garage have a email address or facebook so I can ask I was told other way around International was ok but now not and that was at the motor licensing dept at Aeon II if there is a quick fix to get a genuine one I'd do it ASAP. My Ozy one expired and no chance to get back to Oz to get a new one which they insisted on or go for a test which was something I am not keen on at all.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

lyna-garage.COM

its on 430 street but close to junction with 432 !!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Just wondering
why is Cambodia the only country i know of, that requires you to have a drivers license from ur OWN country to renew the Cambodian license in Cambodia?

First time i can get it but than every year??

Are they saying their license is not good enough to get a renewal?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:40 pm Just wondering
why is Cambodia the only country i know of, that requires you to have a drivers license from ur OWN country to renew the Cambodian license in Cambodia?

First time i can get it but than every year??

Are they saying their license is not good enough to get a renewal?
I guess the answer is in a ABBA song ...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Lyna car rental would rent out based on a foreign licence and international driving permit. But if I remember correctly, this precluded insurance cover by them. So don’t hit anything.

This based on me renting cars back in 2018/19. I also rented through Europcar (they used to have a depot opposite the airport) in the same way, but I was covered. Then I got the one year licence which actually eased the rental process.

I gather there’s issues getting insurance on a one year licence, but I’ve not tested this. The plan is to get a 10 year licence, and at the same time get her indoors driving. Buy a tank of our own, and never be confined by the whims of owner/driver rentals.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic