Cambodian and Chinese police raid 200 arrested

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodian and Chinese police raid 200 arrested

Post by nemo »

Massive joint Cambodian and Chinese police raid on compound in Phnom Penh, close to 200 suspects arrested

A joint police team, comprising of a task force from Cambodian police and officials from the Ministry of Public Security of the People’s Republic of China, seconded by Beijing, raided a large gated compound in Sen Sok, Phnom Penh on Friday, September 17.

In the raid, close to 200 people, comprising Chinese, Vietnamese, and other nationals were detained.

A huge amount of equipment synonymous with online gaming, phishing, online dating and scamming, crypto currency mining and fake Bitcoin trading were seized along with substantial amounts of cash.

A Cambodian police official – who declined to be identified as they are planning further rains and arrests – told Khmer Times

“This is not related to the China Project reported by Khmer Times, but rather a smaller version of it operating in Phnom Penh.”

“We have been observing the compound for sometime and decided to conduct the raid when we received information that there were victims of extortion – both sexual and financial – being illegally detained inside the compound,” he said.

A member of the Chinese Ministry of Public Security of the People’s Republic of China, who declined to be identified but participated in the raid, said that there were more than 40 rooms in the 3 one and two storey buildings inside the compound.

“It has a large yard, mini mart and a restaurant inside to cater to the occupants of the building. Another building appears to be under construction and the Cambodian police have done a great job of nabbing all those in the compound. The entire perimeter of the building had a two meter high wall and four layers of razor wire on top.”

“Interrogations are continuing and once completed, we hope the results will be shared with us to enable us to establish several key facts such as are whether they wanted in China for criminal or organised crime activities and if they are members of triads,” he said.

Most of the Chinese detained are from Yunan Province – as are the extortion victims. There were a sizeable number of females detained, both suspects and alleged victims of online dating scams.

On the morning of September 13, Chinese State Councilor and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Wang Yi brought up the issue of online gambling and criminal activities linked to this activity with Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister Hor Namhong.

Police said that they are also tracing the owner of the large compound and also to determine whether the three buildings and a fourth building under construction are owned by the owner of the compound or sub leased by others.

In addition to this, another search was expected to be carried out on the buildings -which are currently sealed – to look for passports and other documents which the first raid did not unravel. The compound was also sealed after the raid.

More arrests and raids are expected after the Khmer Times expose, including raids in other parts of the country.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50937433/m ... -arrested/
Ahyou!whyme?
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Cambodian and Chinese police raid 200 arrested

Post by Ahyou!whyme? »

nemo wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:54 am there were more than 40 rooms in the 3 one and two storey buildings inside the compound...It has a large yard, mini mart and a restaurant inside to cater to the occupants of the building. Another building appears to be under construction
Staggering that it can get that far in the first place. How flagrant can you get ?

Even though there were 200 people involved, and whilst the main thing I guess is that the operation's been successful, isn't it a bit embarrassing that Cambodia couldn't handle this themselves ? Why couldn't they have used special forces ?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I wonder if this is the normal practice of criminal organisations too construct buildings with onsite amenities and secure fencing around the compound. I mean the fencing is there on any building, but it's purpose is there to help keep the criminals on the outside.
The raid after all seemed to be successful. But I think naming the Khmer times, and the story that they had run on a similar site has more than likely tipped the criminals off at that destination and obviously many other areas.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

AndyKK wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 pm The raid after all seemed to be successful. But I think naming the Khmer times, and the story that they had run on a similar site has more than likely tipped the criminals off at that destination and obviously many other areas.
Yes, I have noticed Chinese scurrying around Sihanoukville in recent days; so, some have definitely moved house during the last week... there are very many without papers, visas, etc...

I think it will be very difficult for the authorities to clean up. There are so many underground illegal ops running here by Chinese, Indos, Malaysian Chinese, etc, etc, and the usual assortment of heavily tattooed Serbo-Croat mafia and Russian money-laundering hoods, still...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Ahyou!whyme?
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Ahyou!whyme? »

orichá wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:59 pm
AndyKK wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 pm The raid after all seemed to be successful. But I think naming the Khmer times, and the story that they had run on a similar site has more than likely tipped the criminals off at that destination and obviously many other areas.
Yes, I have noticed Chinese scurrying around Sihanoukville in recent days; so, some have definitely moved house during the last week... there are very many without papers, visas, etc...

I think it will be very difficult for the authorities to clean up. There are so many underground illegal ops running here by Chinese, Indos, Malaysian Chinese, etc, etc, and the usual assortment of heavily tattooed Serbo-Croat mafia and Russian money-laundering hoods, still...
Very sad for a country with so much pain to have the past replaced by this. Very very sad.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

Operation low hanging fruit ?

Media reports indicate thousands invloved....

Make a few token arrests and leave alone the big boys paying the big bucks to those high up ?
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

Ahyou!whyme? wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:07 pm isn't it a bit embarrassing that Cambodia couldn't handle this themselves ? Why couldn't they have used special forces ?
I personally think it's ok to include the Chinese agents. Both the criminals and direct victims are mostly their citizens.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Said it before and i’ll sayit again , dog eat dog
survival of the fittest , I could tell you many things but ,
…never nimd.
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

LoukBongThom wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:29 pm
Ahyou!whyme? wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:07 pm isn't it a bit embarrassing that Cambodia couldn't handle this themselves ? Why couldn't they have used special forces ?
I personally think it's ok to include the Chinese agents. Both the criminals and direct victims are mostly their citizens.
Well we are in china and run by china so OK
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

pissontheroof wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:13 am Said it before and i’ll sayit again , dog eat dog
survival of the fittest , I could tell you many things but ,
…never nimd.
Nobody cares about your Burger King stories.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic