American Hotel Owner in Kratie has been summoned for questioning on a case of Child Sex Offenses

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Timmy69
Expatriate

Re: American Hotel Owner in Kratie has been summoned for questioning on a case of Child Sex Offenses

Post by Timmy69 »

rubberbaron wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:03 pm You misread. I never imagined I speculated. There is a difference you know.
Something has been very ugly about your postings on this thread.

You claim to know information that has not been made public, like about who reported him (third party) and when his accusers came forward.

You speculate that this was an act of revenge, you speculate that he thought the victims were 18, and then when others disagree with you, you complain:

"But please everybody cut the speculation and wait for the outcome of the hearing before the magistrate on Sept. 30."

Why is speculation that McMahan is innocent allowed but speculation that he is guilty isn't allowed?
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American Hotel Owner in Kratie has been summoned for questioning on a case of Child Sex Offenses

Post by rubberbaron »

Timmy69 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:33 am
rubberbaron wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:03 pm You misread. I never imagined I speculated. There is a difference you know.
Something has been very ugly about your postings on this thread.

You claim to know information that has not been made public, like about who reported him (third party) and when his accusers came forward.

You speculate that this was an act of revenge, you speculate that he thought the victims were 18, and then when others disagree with you, you complain:

"But please everybody cut the speculation and wait for the outcome of the hearing before the magistrate on Sept. 30."

Why is speculation that McMahan is innocent allowed but speculation that he is guilty isn't allowed?
Ugly is a somewhat strange choice of word here. You read something into this that's simply not there. I didn't say I know who reported him. The article says it was a third party, a term used when the identity of that party is not known or doesn't want it known.
Initially I pointed out the options. I didn't complain. You shouldn't quote parts out of context. I described this man the way I know him and just exhorted people to wait for the outcome of that questioning and that they shouldn't speculate any further, which would include myself. This is not a complaint by any stretch.
Before he was arrested he should still be considered innocent until proven guilty. That's what it was all about at the beginning. When further details were known I had to revise my opinion. Since the victims came forward he surely looks guilty and will most likely be sentenced to a pretty long prison term. Technically he is still innocent until the court passes sentence. He is in pre-trial detention. He is not serving a sentence yet.
This is just for clarification, not that I would have to justify myself to you or anybody else here.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: theRe: American Hotel Owner in Kratie has been summoned for questioning on a case of Child Sex Offenses

Post by rubberbaron »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:39 pm Siem Reap has been a haven for gay pedophiles for years, maybe some have moved to Kratie since. Disgusting bunch anyway, always ready to defend their brethren's sins.
Sihanoukville pre-Chinese times wasn't any better. And it's not only gay pedos, but pedos in general. Running a hotel you encounter your share. We wouldn't accept obvious cases but sometimes we really wouldn't know and girls and lady boys often have fake ids.

You do sound a bit unctuous with that 'brethren's sins' part.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Whatever happened to Stefan Struik? Does he still post here?

newsworthy/two-cambodian-men-and-dutch- ... n%20Struik.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Siville in it;s past was more inclined to bribe for human trafficking & drugs, though sexual offenses are well within the hierarchy of clichés.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

This report confirms that two underage boys affirm that they were raped by the American suspect while working at River Dolphin Hotel in Kratie. APLE are offering assistance to the boys and their families.

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): According to a press release from APLE Cambodia, Kratie Provincial Court on September 19, 2021, charged a 74-year-old American man with child prostitution with sex acts on two underage boys, under Article 34 of the Law on the Suppression of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation.

The suspect was taken to the provincial prison to await trial, the source said. Kratie Provincial Anti-Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Police launched an investigation into a case of abuse by an American businessman in the province after receiving a report from a civilian reporter based in the APLE community.
Both the victims have identified the suspect as a rapist, and confirmed sexual activity on them several times while they were working at his hotel.
https://dap-news.com/national/2021/09/22/186164/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

not saying he did or didn't do it, but i still question the 2 year period an with aple involved, if there was any pressure on the 2 boys to confirm

with child sex, once Accused .....forever quilty
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Many rape victims don't report it. There's nothing strange about two village kids being ashamed and afraid of not being believed. Victim-blaming goes on all the time. (Ahem.)

Perhaps the arrival of the APLE team was the catalyst which encouraged the boys to come forward, but that doesn't mean that APLE set it up.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

He must of been the talk of the town!
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:24 pm ok; he is charged,
but still, why did it take them 2 years?
What does it matter that it took 2 years? He is charged now with victims ready to come forward so hopefully if he is found guilty he gets the sentence he deserves
and doesn't bribe his way out of it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic