American Hotel Owner in Kratie has been summoned for questioning on a case of Child Sex Offenses

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Re: American Hotel Owner in Kratie Arrested for Child Sex Offenses

Post by Multipox »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:27 am ....
Cambodia Breaking News, (Kratie): The foreign owner of the River Dolphin Hotel in Kratie, RICHARD LYNN McMAHAN, has been summoned by Kratie Provincial Prosecutor to appear before the Anti-Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Office before September 30 for questioning on a case of sexually assaulting children.
some khmers will stoop very low to either knock out barang competion or get hold of his property
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American Hotel Owner in Kratie Accused of Child Sex Offenses

Post by rubberbaron »

The property is in his Khmer partner's name. He isn't even officially the owner.
Reckoning
Expatriate

Post by Reckoning »

Multipox wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:05 pm
Cambodia Breaking News, (Kratie): The foreign owner of the River Dolphin Hotel in Kratie, RICHARD LYNN McMAHAN, has been summoned by Kratie Provincial Prosecutor to appear before the Anti-Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Office before September 30 for questioning on a case of sexually assaulting children.
some khmers will stoop very low to either knock out barang competion or get hold of his property
I find it odd that whenever a Cambodian is accused of a horrific crime, especially one of sex or violence involving children, the unanimous consensus on expat online groups is "Lock him up! Cut his balls off! I hope he's beaten in prison!"

But when an expat is accused of pedophilia, half the responses are "It could be a set up, innocent until proven guilty, maybe someone is just after his money."
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Reckoning wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:00 am
Multipox wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:05 pm
I find it odd that whenever a Cambodian is accused of a horrific crime, especially one of sex or violence involving children, the unanimous consensus on expat online groups is "Lock him up! Cut his balls off! I hope he's beaten in prison!"

But when an expat is accused of pedophilia, half the responses are "It could be a set up, innocent until proven guilty, maybe someone is just after his money."
I get your point but it's not quite as black and white as that. Cambodians are not generally known for making up false child sex accusations against other Khmers. I get the feeling that if they tried, they're unlikely to get very far, and there will be grave consequences on the accuser if it is found to be a false allegation. They tend to settle their grievances in other ways, such as throwing themselves off of buildings in a 'that'll teach you' kind of way or setting fire to their own family house and only then coming to the realisation that they'e now homeless.

But when it comes for foreigners living out here, especially westerners, everybody know, both westerners and Khmers, that that one thing you can do if you truly want to completely f*** up someone's life is to throw a child sex accusation at them. It destroys them on so many levels, even if it never gets to court. Just the idea that someone was accused is often enough to destroy their reputation and make life very, very difficult out here for them.

As we've seen, there have been many legitimate cases of real nasty pedos committing horrific crimes out here, and of course it's right that they' get everything they deserve, but I'm sure there are a many, many cases where someone has simply upset someone, perhaps a business deal went bad, and they're now serving time for crimes they didn't commit. Not only that, but serving sentences for the worse types of crimes imaginable.

I loathe trial by social media and from what we know so far about this case, there is nowhere near enough evidence to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he's guilty so I'm happy to go with innocent, until something else comes along to change my mind.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Reckoning
Expatriate

Post by Reckoning »

xandreu wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 am Cambodians are not generally known for making up false child sex accusations against other Khmers.
The suggestion that Westerners are "known" for making up child sex allegations is ridiculous.
xandreu wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 ameverybody know, both westerners and Khmers, that that one thing you can do if you truly want to completely f*** up someone's life is to throw a child sex accusation at them
xandreu wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 ambut I'm sure there are a many, many cases where someone has simply upset someone, perhaps a business deal went bad, and they're now serving time for crimes they didn't commit.
Has this ever actually happened? A westerner stitching up a child sex allegation against another Westerner to take over his business or something? You're saying "everybody knows" and you're "sure" it has happened, but you are presenting no evidence or examples.

xandreu wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 amI'm happy to go with innocent, until something else comes along to change my mind.

He was just teaching the boys English then?
Reckoning
Expatriate

Post by Reckoning »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:55 am co-owner's dirty trick, place your bets :
If he is indeed the co-owner of a crappy backpacker guesthouse in Kratie, how much is ownership interest worth these days? $300?

You think his co-owner decided "I'm getting tired of splitting all this money we have pouring in with Rick, I'm going to pay some Khmers to make up false allegations of child sex against him?" That's pretty far fetched.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Reckoning wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:35 am
Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:55 am co-owner's dirty trick, place your bets :
If he is indeed the co-owner of a crappy backpacker guesthouse in Kratie, how much is ownership interest worth these days? $300?

You think his co-owner decided "I'm getting tired of splitting all this money we have pouring in with Rick, I'm going to pay some Khmers to make up false allegations of child sex against him?" That's pretty far fetched.
What is far fetched is to say that "I think his co-owner blablabla..."
I have no idea what is the real story here, but the two main possibilities here having been evocated, up to you to split it into more accurate possibilities.
It doesn't seems to sit out of those two though, but i'd like to know so if it was the case.

All i know is that a lot of westerners are here to live the sex life of their dreams, and some locals aren't shy when it comes to take advantage of some situations. Nothing to do only with Khmers, you can see it a bit everywhere.

And of course both kinds aren't the majority, just a nasty fraction. Otherwise i wouldn't have spent so much time around here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cambo swa wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:12 am
Ghostwriter wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:55 am Here we go, legit or a co-owner's dirty trick, place your bets :
If it is legit, why do they give him 2 weeks to appear so he has time to do a runner? Looks like a case from a couple of years ago anyway.
and why did it take 2 years to bring a case against him?> Same goes in America these ladies bringing cases against men from something that took place 40 years ago

something just rings smear campaign..

Once accused....quilty forever.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Re: American Hotel Owner in Kratie Accused of Child Sex Offenses

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

I have personally known "Rick" - RICHARD LYNN McMAHAN for quite some years now and, as such, have no reason to believe that there is any truth in this belated and isolated allegation.

He is not an owner or part owner of the River Dolphin Hotel, where I frequently stay, but a Shareholder in the hotel, just one of a number of shareholders.

He does not even reside in the River Dolphin Hotel but separately close by and is a daily visitor to the hotel of which he is a shareholder.

I also know and like the young, enterprising Cambodian owner of the River Dolphin and his wife and children.

Personally, I doubt that there is any substance to this allegation. But I keep an open mind on such matters until brought to a legal conclusion.

I am a firm believer in letting the law, even in Cambodia, run its course.

As matters currently stand, this allegation/accusation is only for investigation at this stage and can easily be thrown out/dismissed by the investigating magistrate.

I am a firm believer in the presumption of innocence until proven otherwise - not pre-trial by forum or media.

Time will tell and the truth, what ever it may be, will come out.

OML
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Reckoning wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:41 am
xandreu wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 am Cambodians are not generally known for making up false child sex accusations against other Khmers.
The suggestion that Westerners are "known" for making up child sex allegations is ridiculous.
That's not what I said. Please keep my words in context.
xandreu wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 ameverybody know, both westerners and Khmers, that that one thing you can do if you truly want to completely f*** up someone's life is to throw a child sex accusation at them
xandreu wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 ambut I'm sure there are a many, many cases where someone has simply upset someone, perhaps a business deal went bad, and they're now serving time for crimes they didn't commit.
Has this ever actually happened? A westerner stitching up a child sex allegation against another Westerner to take over his business or something? You're saying "everybody knows" and you're "sure" it has happened, but you are presenting no evidence or examples.
Yes. Are you not aware that Cambodia had, and still has to some extent, a reputation for being an international child sex hub? Most other people are, including Khmers themselves, and if you're not, you should perhaps lift up the internet and take a peek underneath. While it does seem that as of late, westerners being convicted of child sex crimes appears to have gone down, the accusations still come thick and fast. To the extent where myself and many others, won't have any contact with children out here at all. If I begin quoting individual cases we will be here all day debating their actual innocence or whether they were set up, and I have better things to do. As I said, I'm sure that many of these convictions were correct and true, but I have doubts about many others.
xandreu wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:00 amI'm happy to go with innocent, until something else comes along to change my mind.
He was just teaching the boys English then?
Do you know any different?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic