Passport seized in Phnom Penh airport

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Passport seized in Phnom Penh airport

Post by Kigna »

In recent months I have read your posts about the arrival at Phnom Penh airport and none have informed that the police are taking your passport and will issue it at the end of the hotel quarantine this situation is very unpleasant. No one has ever been in addition to keeping you locked up taking your passport like a criminal. And that no foreign embassy, ​​I think the American or British one, has made demonstrations.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Passport seized in Phnom Penh airport

Post by Chuck Borris »

MOH take the passport, not the police. It is to preventing people to escape quarantine. Beside you don't need a passport in your room?
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Yep, don't want you doing a runner like this 👣👣

Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Dude I bet you're freaking out right now lol!
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

If that idea scares you best go to Phukhet, Bahamas or Cancun- maybe Ibiza.
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

i have been to thailand and other latin america and europe countries in these 2 years and never any country had ever managed to collect my passport. not even the united states or russia or china.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Yeah well you may be in for a nasty shock if you come here, because that is what happens here.
Last edited by nemo on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

:facepalm: Has been mentioned many times that Immigration officers keep hold of your passport at passport control on arrival, and that it will only be returned to you upon release from quarantine. The reason for this is to discourage people from escaping quarantine.
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:44 pm :facepalm: Has been mentioned many times that Immigration officers keep hold of your passport at passport control on arrival, and that it will only be returned to you upon release from quarantine. The reason for this is to discourage people from escaping quarantine.
I do mea culpa.I have not read this information on the forum.com anyway thanks for your reply.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kigna wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:14 pm In recent months I have read your posts about the arrival at Phnom Penh airport and none have informed that the police are taking your passport and will issue it at the end of the hotel quarantine this situation is very unpleasant. No one has ever been in addition to keeping you locked up taking your passport like a criminal. And that no foreign embassy, ​​I think the American or British one, has made demonstrations.
I hesitate to disagree.

general-chatter/topic45403.html
First post, all in sequence, July

It’s not seized, it’s simply retained.

Cambodia does a lot of things which don’t make sense from their point of view or many others’. It’s a bit like having a face to face meeting with a druggie or an alcoholic. It’s a bit random. But there’s plenty of guidance for the unwary. Retaining the passport is actually something that used to be common place in many parts of the world; Eastern/Soviet/former commie-block, many less developed countries, Middle East and Asia. We’ve just become so accustomed to modern ways, that resetting back to the last century is a bit of a shock.

Now, the thing to do is assess the situation. What would you like to do with your passport that an electronic copy won’t suffice for the remainder of quarantine?
Where are you quarantined? If it’s a good place, relax, enjoy. Maybe the night staff can find a suitable masseuse to waste an hour.
If it’s shit, revel in the glory of your own episode of get me out of here, or that SAS wannabe thing. 14days of introspection and soul searching, or even sole searching if the floor’s a bit rough.

You’ve stuck your hand in the vacation lucky dip, and found it’s been mounted on top of the dog poop bin.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic