Passport seized in Phnom Penh airport

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Passport seized in Phnom Penh airport

Post by atst »

Have you never been on a cruise, this happens all the time passport returned day before departure of your cruise.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

Looking at the other posts as well, maybe the best thing would be for the OP to return to their home and not venture outside again unless mommy is there to hold his/her hand
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Kigna wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:45 am Honestly I don't care. I might expect these stupid visa restrictions from a rich country like Singapore or Hong Kong, but a country with an annual capital income of 1600 $ behind Laos and Vietnam no no no ha ha ha ..
Great, another privileged traveler looking looking down at the poor. Just what we need here :good:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
gim2
Tourist
Mongolia

Post by gim2 »

intersting they do that, USA passports are considered property of the US government and not the holder, imagine the US govt would take a n interst in the passport being retained or taken by anyone
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

gim2 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:16 am intersting they do that, USA passports are considered property of the US government and not the holder, imagine the US govt would take a n interst in the passport being retained or taken by anyone
I'm pretty sure the US Govt knows about it considering it has happened to every US passport holder who has entered in the last how many months.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Kigna wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:45 am Honestly I don't care. I might expect these stupid visa restrictions from a rich country like Singapore or Hong Kong, but a country with an annual capital income of 1600 $ behind Laos and Vietnam no no no ha ha ha ..
Wait so if a country is poor then it should have less strict laws to mitigate a deadly pandemic? Or just less strict when foreigners are concerned? I don’t understand what you’re saying here.

I’m sure whatever point you were trying to make probably makes sense, but all I’m reading from that is a tone of “I’ve got more money than these peasants, they should be glad of my presence and treat me with more respect”.

Maybe travel isn’t for you.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

I am always of the opinion of never letting someone "retain" your passport. It gives them too much power over you. I have heard too many horror stories when this happens.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

techietraveller84 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:14 am I am always of the opinion of never letting someone "retain" your passport. It gives them too much power over you. I have heard too many horror stories when this happens.
It's a good point to start from.

Unfortunately Cambodia is of the opinion they want to retain your passport while you're in quarantine. They experienced too many horror stories when they didn't.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

techietraveller84 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:14 am I am always of the opinion of never letting someone "retain" your passport. It gives them too much power over you. I have heard too many horror stories when this happens.
Definitely if it’s a private organisation like an employer or hotel.
If it’s the immigration department of a country you’re trying to get into then frankly they’ve already got you by the balls regardless. Fighting it is more likely to backfire than to help.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Fuck it. It's the MOI. They could hold on to it until I go, for all I care. Just give me a receipt and top it up when required. Catch ya in '26.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic