Passport seized in Phnom Penh airport

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Passport seized in Phnom Penh airport

Post by Railroad »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:56 pm .....and soul searching, or even sole searching if the floor’s a bit rough.
That's really quite clever.....will have to remember that one.
:hattip:
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Railroad wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:00 pm
Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:56 pm .....and soul searching, or even sole searching if the floor’s a bit rough.
That's really quite clever.....will have to remember that one.
:hattip:
My daily contribution to culture and travel. Finally appreciated. :hattip: I shall note it in my journal.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Kigna wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:14 pm In recent months I have read your posts about the arrival at Phnom Penh airport and none have informed that the police are taking your passport and will issue it at the end of the hotel quarantine this situation is very unpleasant. No one has ever been in addition to keeping you locked up taking your passport like a criminal. And that no foreign embassy, ​​I think the American or British one, has made demonstrations.
Dear Kigna, abviously you have to do more traveling " Live and learn"
Boredom is like a shroud
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:56 pm
Kigna wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:14 pm In recent months I have read your posts about the arrival at Phnom Penh airport and none have informed that the police are taking your passport and will issue it at the end of the hotel quarantine this situation is very unpleasant. No one has ever been in addition to keeping you locked up taking your passport like a criminal. And that no foreign embassy, ​​I think the American or British one, has made demonstrations.
I hesitate to disagree.

general-chatter/topic45403.html
First post, all in sequence, July

It’s not seized, it’s simply retained.

Cambodia does a lot of things which don’t make sense from their point of view or many others’. It’s a bit like having a face to face meeting with a druggie or an alcoholic. It’s a bit random. But there’s plenty of guidance for the unwary. Retaining the passport is actually something that used to be common place in many parts of the world; Eastern/Soviet/former commie-block, many less developed countries, Middle East and Asia. We’ve just become so accustomed to modern ways, that resetting back to the last century is a bit of a shock.

Now, the thing to do is assess the situation. What would you like to do with your passport that an electronic copy won’t suffice for the remainder of quarantine?
Where are you quarantined? If it’s a good place, relax, enjoy. Maybe the night staff can find a suitable masseuse to waste an hour.
If it’s shit, revel in the glory of your own episode of get me out of here, or that SAS wannabe thing. 14days of introspection and soul searching, or even sole searching if the floor’s a bit rough.

You’ve stuck your hand in the vacation lucky dip, and found it’s been mounted on top of the dog poop bin.
I just highlighted what reality is. Cambodia is the only country in the world that "seized" your passport. Not Thailand, not Singapore.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kigna wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:14 pm And that no foreign embassy, ​​I think the American or British one, has made demonstrations.

Yeah, in some alternate universe where embassies make demonstrations against perfectly reasonable policies. :?

What is it with all these people who can't understand the function of an embassy or how diplomacy works? :facepalm:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

OP better stay clear of hotels in Vietnam as well :)
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kigna
Cambodia is a frustrating and often times ridiculous place. But my experience of worldwide But the retention of passports IS something that in recent times happened in a great many countries. Most often, at hotels, but not just there. It's a practice that is largely negated by progress, as far as I can tell. If you've never been to Cambodia before, be prepared for other stuff.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Kigna , once you are released from quarantine you'll have less than 2 weeks left of the 1 month period of Stay you were granted on arrival, if you intend staying longer then you need to apply for a Visa Extension of Stay, this involves your passport being sent to the Department of Immigration for processing which can take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks...just giving you a heads up so you don't freak out about that also.
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:31 pm @Kigna , once you are released from quarantine you'll have less than 2 weeks left of the 1 month period of Stay you were granted on arrival, if you intend staying longer then you need to apply for a Visa Extension of Stay, this involves your passport being sent to the Department of Immigration for processing which can take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks...just giving you a heads up so you don't freak out about that also.
Honestly I don't care. I might expect these stupid visa restrictions from a rich country like Singapore or Hong Kong, but a country with an annual capital income of 1600 $ behind Laos and Vietnam no no no ha ha ha ..
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kigna wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:45 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:31 pm @Kigna , once you are released from quarantine you'll have less than 2 weeks left of the 1 month period of Stay you were granted on arrival, if you intend staying longer then you need to apply for a Visa Extension of Stay, this involves your passport being sent to the Department of Immigration for processing which can take anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks...just giving you a heads up so you don't freak out about that also.
Honestly I don't care. I might expect these stupid visa restrictions from a rich country like Singapore or Hong Kong, but a country with an annual capital income of 1600 $ behind Laos and Vietnam no no no ha ha ha ..
Cambodia might easily be seen as a rich country full of poor people. Take a look at a few car dealerships- there's plenty of indication of demand. Likewise, take a look at the various very nice, but totally out of place sports cars, Ferraris, Astons, Lambos; some with very unique paint jobs, scraping their way across Phnom Penh's pot holes.
Cambodia might also be a poor country, with far too many rich people who are totally divorced from the reality of a very significant proportion of the rest of the population.

I suspect you're going to have an interesting time once released, but it may well be worth planning your next adventure now, just in case. I'm thinking you're going to clash with a great many aspects of the place.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic