iPhone 13 to be launched this week

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: iPhone 13 to be launched this week

Post by rogerrabbit »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:13 am
rogerrabbit wrote:
Darkcel wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:31 pm Sounds fancy, just can't imagine paying more than 200 for a phone, especially since most low model phones do the exact same as the more expensive ones, give or take less ram and battery life
Hardly. Unless you only call & send messages.
Besides the superior camera, what things can an iPhone do that a $200 phone can't?
Well I said already, but I say it again. Yes, $200 phone is fine for "normal" use. But if you are heavy user, or have specific needs, the $200 cannot do the exact same things as the high end phone. And yes, the original proposition was that low model phones can do exact same as the more expensive ones. That is not true. Just few things that usually low end models don't have but higher models have: wireless charging, fast charging, lidar technology, bigger screen, more memory, faster prorocessor, more storage, foldable screens, better cameras, waterproofing to list few.

And I say it can, $200 phone is fine for many or even for most, but it cannot do the all same things that high end phone does. And even the same things both can do, the high end phone most likely can do it slightly faster.

Also biggest flaw in many especially under $100 phones is security. The support/updates for the Androird tends to end quite fast. Meaning your phone is secure for much shorter span vs. high end phone where updates usually comes even +5 years after you purchase it.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

Darkcel wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:31 pm Sounds fancy, just can't imagine paying more than 200 for a phone, especially since most low model phones do the exact same as the more expensive ones, give or take less ram and battery life
Like cars then, a Rolls Royce does the same as a ford cortina
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:42 pm
Basically yes! But no. :popcorn:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I wouldn't pay for Apple products, give me one for free and I'll check it out though

I'm a loyal Huawei man myself, and think $150 for a new handset every few years is pushing it

May need to go Xiaomi next time unless the play store gets back on Huawei
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

A rolls Royce handles completely different from a Ford cortina

A base model android works literally just the same as an expensive iPhone, just with a different OS.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Darkcel wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:37 pm
A rolls Royce handles completely different from a Ford cortina

A base model android works literally just the same as an expensive iPhone, just with a different OS.
This is just objectively incorrect. I'm sitting here with a pile of phones next to me (I'm Director of QA for a leading crypto exchange and get issued phones to test on as part of my work) and the practical differences in capability between various models is staggering. Yes, if you just want to make calls and send messages then they are all capable of the same thing, but if you use a phone for specific purposes like trading, photography, gaming, watching videos, or even just basic organizational/productivity tasks then there are vast differences.

A major one is compatibility with apps. iPhones have their issues; they don't have the best specs, the hardware is poor value for money, there is a relatively limited range of apps, the list goes on. However, what they do have going for them is standardisation; Almost every app available for iphones will work well because the phones all conform to a set of standards that make developing apps for them very straight forward, and the end result is a much less buggy experience. Conversely, there are Android phones available with far better hardware specs than any iPhone, but the market fragmentation caused by manufacturers all using their own customized versions of Android means that even the most heavily QA'd apps will suffer from compatibility issues with certain apps.

My current personal favorite is the Z Fold 3, which has made my tablet devices redundant and means I can carry one phone that effectively folds out into a small tablet instead of a tablet and a phone. It has a 120hz refresh rate (which until today hasn't been available on even the highest spec iPhones but is rumored to be one of the improvements offered by the iPhone 13), 12gb of RAM (iPhone 12 offers a maximum of 6gb), and of course an SD card slot which Apple has never offered because it wants everyone to sign up for iCloud.

If you have lots of photos and want to store them on an internal, removable memory card, an iPhone simply isn't going to be an option for you. It can't do it. If you want to trade stocks or crypto, an ancient Android or iPhone device simply won't work for you, it doesn't have the performance. If you need to be able to fold it out in to a larger screen, you have even fewer options. Saying they all work the same and can do the same thing is just flat out wrong.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

All my life I had 200$ phones. But when Iphone 11 came out I spit 800$ for it. Now I dont have to carry my old Nikon DLSR camera with me on my travels anymore, phone does the job. For low light events I still use camera and quality lenses. We shot a music video for friend on my Iphone 11 as well, colors and sharpness were better than on a 6 years old Canon DLRS camera. 150$ phone cant do that.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Work app mandates a certain level phone for their software to work. End to end encryption with real time updates for government compliance and billing. And the specification is either close to the current generation of iPhone or high level recent Android.

Having a bigger, sharper screen, and more responsive phone is a plus.

iPhones have always been derided by the Android crowd as having inferior specifications. Yet in real world performance, they either match or usually beat Android phones in most applications. Tight integration of software and hardware with standard human interface guidelines to make everything ‘just work’ is a winner for me.

Some people can live in a tiny house 10 sq meters or so and brag that it’s all the house anyone can ever need.

But give me a full sized house. (Which I’m having built now.) And my iPhone, of course.

These are my opinions.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:26 am a Phone will never ever replace a Camera for taking photographs<
a phone takes pictures and allows the owner to send receive calls an messages
thats all i ever use a phone for
A modern smartphone can be used for a thousand tasks, including shooting pictures or videos.

Of course the build in camera in the average smartphone can't compete with a new high end camera but I have to say the camera of my 350$ phone comes really close to the quality of my 10 year old digital Canon camera which cost the same as three phones back then.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Galaxy Z Fold 3
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic