Aussie Man Gets Struck in Parking Row with Neighbor

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Aussie Man Gets Struck in Parking Row with Neighbor

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): In a heated dispute over a parking space, a Cambodian man was arrested by the police and an Australian man was seriously injured in the head on September 12, 2021 at 17:30 outside a building on Street 109, Village 5, Sangkat Or Russey III, Khan 7 Makara.

Authorities at the Orussey III Administrative Police Station said that after the incident, police arrested a suspect named Chan Ryvong, a 59-year-old Cambodian man for questioning. The victim, who suffered from head injuries, was Michael Anthony Davitt, a 42-year-old Australian man, living in the same building as his attacker.

The cause of the above-mentioned violence is due to an on-going conflict between those living upstairs and those living downstairs. According to the Cambodian man, the people in the upstairs part of the building always park right in front of his door. He said that he went upstairs to the house to talk to them about the parking problem many times, but the foreign man always refused to listen to him, and he continued to park in front of the downstairs apartment; this created bad feeling and led to this fight.

Police further confirmed that after detaining the suspect, the police confiscated a metal bar to close the door of the house, which was used as a weapon against the Australian man.
The suspect is currently being held at the Khan 7 Makara Police Inspectorate to build a case to be sent to the Phnom Penh Municipal Court for further proceedings.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Aussie Man Gets Struck in Parking Row with Neighbor

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE: Suspect is released due to the circumstances surrounding the attack
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): After the competent authorities sent Mr Chan Rivong to court for an assault on his Australian neighbor, Mr. Sam Rithy Veasna, the Deputy Prosecutor of the Court of First Instance, decided to release him after questioning.
The assailant released is Chan Rivong, male, 59 years old, selling motor oil, living at Street 109, Sangkat Or Russey III, Khan 7 Makara, Phnom Penh.
The victim in this case is Michael Anthony Davitt, a 42-year-old Australian man living at Street 109, Sangkat Or Russey 3, Khan 7 Makara.

According to the criminal police of Khan 7 Makara, at 5:30 pm on September 12, 2021, the police arrested the suspect named Chan Rivong at his house and shop.
Police said that the story that caused the violence started from the victim who had a house upstairs and always parked the car in front of the suspect's shop, blocking the business, so there was a long-running dispute between the men. The Australian man allegedly provoked his neighbor, and would sometimes take his dog to the front of the store and make shooting gestures with his hand at the Cambodian man, as if he had shot the suspect repeatedly. On the day of the event, the Cambodian man cracked and hit the Australian with a metal rod.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Reckoning
Expatriate

Post by Reckoning »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:13 pm
Police said that the story that caused the violence started from the victim who had a house upstairs and always parked the car in front of the suspect's shop, blocking the business, so there was a long-running dispute between the men. The Australian man allegedly provoked his neighbor, and would sometimes take his dog to the front of the store and make shooting gestures with his hand at the Cambodian man, as if he had shot the suspect repeatedly. On the day of the event, the Cambodian man cracked and hit the Australian with a metal rod.
It's always whitey's fault, isn't it?
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Good on the khmer.. sounds like the Aussie was being a dick.
Reckoning
Expatriate

Post by Reckoning »

Grand Barong wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:52 pm Good on the khmer.. sounds like the Aussie was being a dick.
Good on the Khmer for attacking someone with a metal rod and his excuse after the fact is "the guy I hit with the rod was bothering me in a nonviolent way"?
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Sweet.

Can we now cite this instance as official case law in Cambodia?

We are now free to smack Khmer's upside the head for non violent provocations.

I always feel provoked when Khmer's suck their teeth, chew with their mouths open, dig in their noses with that absurdly long pinky finger nail, ad infinitum.

Good to know that I now have the full force and effect of Cambodian case law to back me up when I start going around cracking people upside the head with a metal rod for annoyingly parking in front of my house.

I'm increasingly becoming convinced that some societies just don't deserve to become truly civilized with functioning judicial, legislative and executive measures...because they just don't have it in them yet and they'll just end up fiddling around and fucking it up.

Maybe Khmer's are better poor, humble and simply educated.......maybe they are at their cultural zenith, perched on the back of a water buffalo tending to rice crops and not much more than that.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Reckoning wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:25 am
Grand Barong wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:52 pm Good on the khmer.. sounds like the Aussie was being a dick.
Good on the Khmer for attacking someone with a metal rod and his excuse after the fact is "the guy I hit with the rod was bothering me in a nonviolent way"?
Hey, Don't read into it too much, sometimes a fuckwit is just that,,, a fuckwit and will get whats coming to him whether its in Cambodia or his home country of Australia, I should know I'm an Aussie too and where I'm from his behaviour would most likely get him an attitude adjustment too.

Men are men, shit like this happens to wankers all the time, behave yourself and act with respect and it won't happen.

Parking in front of the guys business... impairing his ability to run his business and provide for his family? gesturing to shoot him?? fuck me, the gesture of shooting would have been enough for me.
Reckoning
Expatriate

Post by Reckoning »

Grand Barong wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:06 am
Parking in front of the guys business... impairing his ability to run his business and provide for his family? gesturing to shoot him?? fuck me, the gesture of shooting would have been enough for me.
Shouldn't anyone be able to park on any public street where parking is permitted without some clown claiming he's entitled to control the parking on the street just because his home or business is nearby?
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Brody wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:57 am Sweet.

Can we now cite this instance as official case law in Cambodia?

We are now free to smack Khmer's upside the head for non violent provocations.

I always feel provoked when Khmer's suck their teeth, chew with their mouths open, dig in their noses with that absurdly long pinky finger nail, ad infinitum.

Good to know that I now have the full force and effect of Cambodian case law to back me up when I start going around cracking people upside the head with a metal rod for annoyingly parking in front of my house.

I'm increasingly becoming convinced that some societies just don't deserve to become truly civilized with functioning judicial, legislative and executive measures...because they just don't have it in them yet and they'll just end up fiddling around and fucking it up.

Maybe Khmer's are better poor, humble and simply educated.......maybe they are at their cultural zenith, perched on the back of a water buffalo tending to rice crops and not much more than that.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Reckoning wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:11 am
Grand Barong wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:06 am
Shouldn't anyone be able to park on any public street where parking is permitted without some clown claiming he's entitled to control the parking on the street just because his home or business is nearby?
Just him being an entitled obnoxious Aussie would be enough for me. " I live here, I can park here. I dont give a sh*t how it affects your business, I am a big barang so suck it up".
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic