Aussie Man Gets Struck in Parking Row with Neighbor

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Reckoning
Expatriate

Re: Aussie Man Gets Struck in Parking Row with Neighbor

Post by Reckoning »

Grand Barong wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:21 am
Well it kinda matters as different cultures will react differently to arrogant wankers, as demonstrated with old mate.
In Iran you may be stoned for adultery,
In Dubai you can be jailed for being a homosexual, lashed for being a prostitute.
But that's barbaric, isn't it? Your initial response to this story was
Grand Barong wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:52 pm Good on the khmer.. sounds like the Aussie was being a dick.
This suggests that you do, in fact, condone the Khmer's violent attack.

If an Iranian stones his cheating wife, would you say "good on the Iranian" too?
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Brody wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:03 am
Grand Barong wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:06 am the gesture of shooting would have been enough for me.
Enough for you to what?

Get violent, I assume. What a silly reason to end up in jail. I guess it's true what they say about bogans.

I can picture you in front of the magistrate for your arraignment...."But Judge.....he made hand gestures at me! I had no choice but to viciously bludgeon him"
Thats a bit rich coming from someone who comes from the good old U S of A .. :ROFL:

No violence where your from? Probably he would have gotten shot instead ffs... harden up snowflake

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Getting back on topic.

It has been my understanding of “how things work here” that if you rent or own the ground floor you get the space in front of the property as either a written part of the lease or as an unwritten rule. Now the Aussie may have it written into his lease that he has access to the area for parking or it may be a verbal agreement, or as is more likely, he just assumed he had permission to park there.

My guess is he is over stepping his bounds and pissed off the ground floor tenant. If the ground floor guy owned the ground floor he would automatically own the area in front so I am assuming he leases.

So, as I drag this thread back to topic thoughts on the above please.
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

Reckoning wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:36 am
Grand Barong wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:21 am
Well it kinda matters as different cultures will react differently to arrogant wankers, as demonstrated with old mate.
In Iran you may be stoned for adultery,
In Dubai you can be jailed for being a homosexual, lashed for being a prostitute.
But that's barbaric, isn't it? Your initial response to this story was
Grand Barong wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:52 pm Good on the khmer.. sounds like the Aussie was being a dick.
This suggests that you do, in fact, condone the Khmer's violent attack.

If an Iranian stones his cheating wife, would you say "good on the Iranian" too?
If you live in a foreign land and cant handle the consequences dished out for your actions... Go Home :hattip:
Grand Barong
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Grand Barong »

IraHayes wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:41 am Getting back on topic.

It has been my understanding of “how things work here” that if you rent or own the ground floor you get the space in front of the property as either a written part of the lease or as an unwritten rule. Now the Aussie may have it written into his lease that he has access to the area for parking or it may be a verbal agreement, or as is more likely, he just assumed he had permission to park there.

My guess is he is over stepping his bounds and pissed off the ground floor tenant. If the ground floor guy owned the ground floor he would automatically own the area in front so I am assuming he leases.

Yes I agree, and I think its only reasonable to not block someones front door to their home/business after several requests.
I think gesturing to shoot the khmer was also reasonable provocation to escalate things.
It looks like the Khmer courts have the same view as he was released without charge.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Grand Barong wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:19 am
Reckoning wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:49 am You support physically attacking bad parkers, double parkers, or discourteous parkers?
I haven't said I condone violence and am not a proponent of that type of behaviour, But the guy has to realise that he isn't in his home country & gesturing to
"shoot" someone while walking his dog and blocking a guys front doorway after several requests to park elsewhere has brought consequences, that some of you
find difficult to swallow.
Do you conduct yourself like this in a foreign country?
If you’re going to live in a country where the male population can be inclined to taking offense at some perceived slight while showing no sign of having done so, raging internally until reacting with extreme violence, you may want to tread carefully when getting into disputes/confrontations with them.
And a “less than impartial” police force / legal system is hardly a secret here.
I don’t imagine there’s many positive outcomes for barangs in dispute with Khmer neighbors.
I’m not saying the guy deserved a clout, but it sounds like he was pushing his luck.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

IraHayes wrote:Getting back on topic.

Yeah, people on ground floors generally see anything in front of their house, even if it's state land (the street), to be "their property". I've been annoyed by it as well in the past, but it's the way things are.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:14 pm
IraHayes wrote:Getting back on topic.

Yeah, people on ground floors generally see anything in front of their house, even if it's state land (the street), to be "their property". I've been annoyed by it as well in the past, but it's the way things are.
Agree I've been told by shop owners can't park there if not going into thier shop, it pissed me off big time the first time it happened, just tell myself never go into thier shop in the future.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:36 pm ..... He said that he went upstairs to the house to talk to them about the parking problem many times, but the foreign man always refused to listen to him, and he continued to park in front of the downstairs apartment; this created bad feeling and led to this fight.

there might be a better way to dissuade people from parking in your spot
MWAHAHAHAHA!
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Grand Barong wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:38 am No violence where your from?
There probably is, I live in a huge Country.......but I have no control over that.

What I do have control over is my reaction to objective events.

What I can tell you is that I'm pretty sure that my reaction to 'hand gestures' and/or someone parking in front of my house would not be to get violent.

Some people, such as Grand Barong, applaud violent reaction to petty behaviors that wound fragile egos.
Other people, such as the majority of the civilized, educated, non bogan world, understand that there is a better way to conduct oneself. :thumb:

Grand Barong wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:45 am I think gesturing to shoot the khmer was also reasonable provocation to beat him over the head with a metal rod.
Fixed that for you mate. :thumb: no need to couch things so softly as you did.....I'm sure you appreciate plain speak.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic