Korean Man Found Hanging in Phnom Penh Hotel Bathroom

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Korean Man Found Hanging in Phnom Penh Hotel Bathroom

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): Police reported that a Korean man, a tourist, hanged himself in his bathroom on September 11, 2021 at around 12 o'clock at Relax Hotel and Apartments, Room 605, 6th Floor, House 81, Street 320 Corner of Street 105, Khan Boeung Keng Kang.
Authorities say the body was identified as LEE CHEOLHUI, a 45-year-old Korean man. He left behind 1 black Sam song Galaxy S21 mobile phone, cash money US$1820 and 7,500 Riel, and some bank cards.
According to Im Ratha, a 31-year-old male receptionist at the hotel, on September 10, 2021, at around 10:30 am, LEE CHOLHUI came to the hotel to rent a room for 5 days.
Then on September 11, 2021, at 12 noon, a cleaner named Sin Sinarak, an 18-year-old Cambodian man, called on the radio from the 6th floor and said, "I saw the Korean guest and he is hanging dead in the bathroom".
The worker immediately reported the death to the hotel owner and local authorities.

According to the post mortem examination conducted by Dr. Nong Sovanrat, a Phnom Penh forensic doctor, “the 45-year-old Korean man, died by hanging himself.” The deceased was handed over to the South Korean embassy representative for temporary storage.
RIP.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Korean Man Found Hanging in Phnom Penh Hotel Bathroom

Post by Railroad »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:34 pm ...reported that a Korean man, a tourist, hanged himself...
How can he have bin a bloody tourist?
Er, visa..? :wtf:
ofparadise
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by ofparadise »

Railroad wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:04 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:34 pm ...reported that a Korean man, a tourist, hanged himself...
I don't get your drift... ???
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

ofparadise wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:01 am
Because there are no tourists visas being issued, I guess unless he was an overstay. RIP Korean man.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Maybe he couldnt stand the smell from the sewage canal.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

I wonder if he had family here. Because if he didn't, why would he check into a new hotel and hang himself the first night!??

If he had family, a wife and children, I could understand because maybe he didn't want them to see him in that state. But otoh, if he did have family, why would he leave this much money for police and hotel workers to claim as their own?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

RIP poor Korean man. Hope he finds happiness in his next life.

But the guy was far from destitute. He was carrying almost $2000 in cash - in mostly $100 bills, plus a phone worth at least $500-$800. And bank cards. Combined, more than enough for a ticket home. Return flight back to Korea less than $500. Plus booking a guesthouse for 5 days, not just a single night.

The destitute overstayers are down to their last Dollars and Riels, low quality (or no) cell phone, etc., bank cards overdrawn (and confiscated).

He looks more like me (pre virus) about to enjoy a week in the Kingdom of Wonder.

Something suddenly pushed him over the edge. I don’t think it was a visa overstay.

That’s just my opinion. We will never know.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's possible he had a lot more than that and it "disappeared" .
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Railroad »

Because we're told ad infinitum that Tourist Visas haven't been issued for over a year, & aren't being issued now.
On here, & official government (Cambodian & other countries') websites, & at the embassy where I inquired. :boring:
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Railroad wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:32 pm
Because we're told ad infinitum that Tourist Visas haven't been issued for over a year, & aren't being issued now.
On here, & official government (Cambodian & other countries') websites, & at the embassy where I inquired. :boring:
It may not be the case here, but I've noticed that quite a few foreigners are described as "tourists" in Khmer news, including Chinese gangsters, so it could be that "tourist" does not describe the visa, just means that they don't have a proper job.
Also, Chinese, Koreans, and maybe Japanese (?), have access to different Cambodian visas from the rest of us, which can be up to three years. (I'm not sure of details.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic