Cambodia's 2022 Oscar entry: Trailer for 'White Building'

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
donner-kruger
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Cambodia's 2022 Oscar entry: Trailer for 'White Building'

Post by donner-kruger »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:50 am
donner-kruger wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:45 am White Helmets ISIS terrorists
How are White Helmets ISIS? They are volunteers who work in medical evacuation. Why are you bringing your conspiracy theories into this thread about a promising young Cambodian director?
No they are not, they are the propaganda arm of ISIS/Al-Qaida:

But yeah, that was totally offtopic.
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

While I wouldn't mind seeing it, what I would like more is if it would be more honest about its "coming of age" component, based on the trailer alone.
I think Khmer artists need to be more honest with themselves in general, and make less attempts to appeal to a western audience, if they are to be truly successful (long term) & happy. Admittedly some Khmer music is honest to a fault.
I get tired of seeing Khmer artists having their hand held by The French, or western expats in general...maybe keep the hand holding to ASEAN?, or perhaps Hong Kong or Japan?
It must be the financing. It is not art for art's sake, for sure.
But is it anywhere, ever?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Cambodian Oscar submission ‘White Building’ lands North America deal

The film world premiered in the Venice Film Festival’s Horizons section, where Piseth Chhun won best actor. It has since screened at BFI London, Hong Kong, and Busan.

“We were really taken with Neang’s vibrant, beautiful and heartfelt portrait of the rapidly changing face of Phnom Penh. His sensitivity and tenderness towards his characters facing displacement is very moving and also important,” notes KimStim co-president Ian Stimler.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50964124/c ... rica-deal/
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

sanjuro wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:22 pm I get tired of seeing Khmer artists having their hand held by The French, or western expats in general...maybe keep the hand holding to ASEAN?, or perhaps Hong Kong or Japan?
Is it possible there’s some selection bias on your part? i.e. there might be tons of Chinese-supported art out there but we never hear about it cause it doesn’t get promoted in the west?
Who won the Crying Monkey award this year?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:42 am
sanjuro wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:22 pm I get tired of seeing Khmer artists having their hand held by The French, or western expats in general...maybe keep the hand holding to ASEAN?, or perhaps Hong Kong or Japan?
Is it possible there’s some selection bias on your part? i.e. there might be tons of Chinese-supported art out there but we never hear about it cause it doesn’t get promoted in the west?
From the article posted above.
The film is produced by Cambodia’s Anti-Archive, with Davy Chou as producer. Chinese filmmaker Jia Zhangke’s Xstream Pictures came on board, as did French company Apsara films, led by co-delegate producer Marine Arrighi de Casanova.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

donner-kruger wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:04 pm
How are White Helmets ISIS? They are volunteers who work in medical evacuation. Why are you bringing your conspiracy theories into this thread about a promising young Cambodian director?

Load of old conspiracy tosh. The White Helmets were co-founded by an British ex-serviceman (Royal Green Jackets) and are involved in medevac / search and rescue operations in Syria. Assad and the Russians have spread various rumours and propaganda about their links to Al Qaeda and ISIS, but as usual without any actual evidence.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:42 am
Of course I'm biased.
For the record though, I was once a film projectionist. 100% arthouse. But that was over twenty years ago.
I annhilated a woody allen film, just melted the shit out of it one day. 20 seconds cut.
I never heard of a Crying Monkey! I looked it up! Beijing International. And it started with Tropic Thunder??
-I too, went full wreetard-
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

hdgh29 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:09 am
donner-kruger wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:04 pm

Load of old conspiracy tosh. The White Helmets were co-founded by an British ex-serviceman (Royal Green Jackets) and are involved in medevac / search and rescue operations in Syria. Assad and the Russians have spread various rumours and propaganda about their links to Al Qaeda and ISIS, but as usual without any actual evidence.
I don’t know which is true, so I’m deciding that the YouTube channel calling itself “The Perilous Fight” with a picture of people raising an American Flag is probably not going to be a reliable source of information.

Edit: just had a Google round and yup, it’s been a long time since I saw such a blatant example of Russian/Syrian propaganda in action. Shame on you, d-k.
donner-kruger
Expatriate
Sweden

Post by donner-kruger »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:53 pm
Edit: just had a Google round and yup, it’s been a long time since I saw such a blatant example of Russian/Syrian propaganda in action. Shame on you, d-k.
I very much doubt that. I've already had a warning from the moderators of "trolling". So I'm trying to tread lightly here.

But it's funny how we in the west are constantly told one side of the story. Like for example how Saddam had WMDs.

What the fake news media has consistently failed to report on is how the Syrian "dictator" gassed his own people. I mean, besides him being a complete idiot for doing that, knowing that would invite a NATO styled invasion.

It's later surfaced that, according to whistle blowers of the U.N body, the chemical attacked was not only staged, but the higher ups knew it was:

https://thegrayzone.com/2019/11/16/syri ... -evidence/

Something that should have been front page news in the mainstream media, but it was completely ignored.

So, I don't blame you when you say you had a "google" search. Because in today's society of propaganda, you really have to dig way deeper than just a simple Google search.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic