Secondary Schools to Reopen Next Week

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Secondary Schools to Reopen Next Week

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

According to the Phnom Penh municipal administration, secondary schools in Phnom Penh MAY start reopening from 15 September 2021...

Secondary Schools in Phnom Penh to Reopen Next Week
AKP Phnom Penh, September 09, 2021 --

All public and private secondary schools in Phnom Penh capital are allowed to reopen from Sept. 15 onwards, according to an announcement of the municipal administration released this evening.

The decision was made thanks to the high vaccination rate among teachers, education staff and children-youth aged from 12 to under 18 years old, and to steady decline of new infections in the capital.

For the kindergarten and primary schools, the announcement added, they must apply for authorisation from the municipal administration which will dispatch a working group to examine and assess the risk level in accordance to the actual situation before making any decision.

At the same time, the Phnom Penh municipal administration issued a directive on the preventive measures against the COVID-19 spread for the reopening of public and private educational institutions.

The measures include continued education on health safety rules and the “3 Dos, 3 Don’ts” measure, the class size limit (at most 15 students per classroom) along with 1.5 metre safety distancing, mandatory mask wearing, temperature screening, hand cleaning, conducting rapid tests on all teachers and education staff before school resumption, and so on.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/238998
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Secondary Schools to Reopen Next Week

Post by Anchor Moy »

What do the teachers here say about this ? Have you been told to prepare to start work at school again next week ?
Or is this yet another announcement, and we all wait and see what happens next week ? Maybe/maybe not ?

(IMO, opening the schools will be a big sign of getting back to normal.)
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anchor Moy wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:03 pm

(IMO, opening the schools will be a big sign of getting back to normal.)
In 2020 the schools were closed in April (if I recall well), opened on October the first, then closed again after the 'February 20th event' this year. School have been closed for over six months since.

Let's hope they open the schools, and keep them open this time. The last one and a half year schools have been open for maybe six months. Pretty bad situation for a country like Cambodia.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Ten bucks on them closing in 1.5 months

Can anyone help organize this? I'm sure we could get a few heavy hitters in here, for charity of course
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Darkcel wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:03 pm Ten bucks on them closing in 1.5 months

Can anyone help organize this? I'm sure we could get a few heavy hitters in here, for charity of course
I'm afraid you're right...
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Little_Vicious »

I can’t help but think that the schools will be closed again shortly after re-opening. It’s nigh-impossible to enforce Covid restrictions in a school.

If they do stay open, it has the makings of a logistical nightmare if the quarantining system isn’t adjusted. I’m looking forward to being back in a classroom, but I have a feeling I’ll just be in&out of self-isolation more than instructing.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Little_Vicious wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:30 pm I can’t help but think that the schools will be closed again shortly after re-opening. It’s nigh-impossible to enforce Covid restrictions in a school.

If they do stay open, it has the makings of a logistical nightmare if the quarantining system isn’t adjusted. I’m looking forward to being back in a classroom, but I have a feeling I’ll just be in&out of self-isolation more than instructing.
There's two problems in my opinion.

1. The focus on 'infections' instead of a focus on sick people having serious medical symptoms because of covid
2. The perception there's an alternative to face to face learning - also known as online learning
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Hopefully soon open for primary school kids too.

My kids haven't been in school for 17 months now. Online and home school can only go so far towards replicating school dynamics

Now that people ate vaccinated, Covid testing, as Kammekor pointed out, should be a last resort when people are properly ill or this fucking merry-go-round will never stop
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

For all those homeschooling 5-12 year olds, check out my English for Children Activity book in the CEO classified section. Free demo....Into riverside area once a week...Saturdays.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

School Reopening Postponed One Week in Parts of Siem Reap Province due to COVID-19
Isa Rohany 09/12/2021 3:33 PM

SIEM REAP--The Siem Reap provincial authorities have decided to postpone school reopening in Siem Reap City and four districts due to a spike in COVID-19 cases.

During an interview on Sept 11, Provincial Governor Tea Seiha explained that the reopening of schools in the provincial city and some districts had been delayed by one week.

While the Cambodian government and the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport are allowing schools to reopen, Seiha said, “the provincial authorities have to look into the actual situation [in their areas] first.

“Based on our assessment, the situation in Siem Reap City as well as in Puok, Kralanh, Prasat Bakong and Soutr Nikum districts has not improved,” he said. “So, school opening needs to be postponed for another seven days.”

If the situation improves after the one-week postponement, schools in these areas will be open for in-person learning, Seiha said. As for schools in rural areas and in areas with lower contamination risks in Siem Reap Province, the reopening can be carried out as planned, he said.
https://cambodianess.com/article/school ... o-covid-19
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic