Marriage thread. September 2021

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
andrejsl
Tourist
Slovenia

Re: Marriage thread. September 2021

Post by andrejsl »

Hi, it's me again, and I again have a question about the salary requirements.
I'm not sure I will have enough because I receive my salary in EUR and it is now falling against the USD. or will they require me to make 2500 EUR per month? And I assume they care about net pay (what I actually get to my bank account), although what is written in the employment contract is the Gross pay.
And is there another option if I do not meet this requirement?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

All you need to do is provide an official looking letter from an employer stating your salary is at least USD $2500 per month....no one at the MoFAIC or MoI actually checks, they don't try calling or emailing your employer to confirm the authenticity.

Are you picking up what I'm putting down 😉
andrejsl
Tourist
Slovenia

Post by andrejsl »

Got it.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:All you need to do is provide an official looking letter from an employer stating your salary is at least USD $2500 per month....no one at the MoFAIC or MoI actually checks, they don't try calling or emailing your employer to confirm the authenticity.

Are you picking up what I'm putting down Image
And for those where the official requirement is impossible, hiring the right fixer makes the impossible possible.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:22 pm All you need to do is provide an official looking letter from an employer stating your salary is at least USD $2500 per month....no one at the MoFAIC or MoI actually checks, they don't try calling or emailing your employer to confirm the authenticity.
Maybe they will now!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Haha....I've been giving the same advice online for years, and still they don't check.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

armchairlawyer wrote:
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:22 pm All you need to do is provide an official looking letter from an employer stating your salary is at least USD $2500 per month....no one at the MoFAIC or MoI actually checks, they don't try calling or emailing your employer to confirm the authenticity.
Maybe they will now!
The underlying assumption is that Cambodia works just like any other western country. Or Japan or
South Korea.

It does not. It’s unique, in a Khmer way.
Zyzz
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Zyzz »

Are you picking up what I'm putting down 😉
this is what i was looking for, i was worried about the 2500 income requirement. my plan is to make investments and live off of that in cambodia, no way i need 2500 per month in cambodia anyway. i guess i will work on a letter soon ... what other information should i put in? also if i have a fixer help us can they do this letter for us?
last question? where can a good fixer be found? thank you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic