Marriage thread. September 2021

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Marriage thread. September 2021

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:20 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:28 pm
andrejsl wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:22 pm
Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:24 am You will need to present the following to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
3. Letter of permission to marry from your country’s embassy.
The nearest embassy for my country (Slovenia) is in Beijing.
So can I get this in my country if we have it?
Should be fine, however I suggest conforming with the MoFAIC what is acceptable
If you can get beyond the language barrier, it’s worth a visit to MOFAIC. With some patience.

Exaggerating a bit. I have found the (greedy) people working there speak English pretty well.

If you don't speak Khmer a visit is definitely worth the time to get info from the (greedy) horse's mouth in English.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:14 pm
Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:24 am You will need to present the following to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
3. Letter of permission to marry from your country’s embassy.
If you can get beyond the language barrier, it’s worth a visit to MOFAIC. With some patience.

Exaggerating a bit. I have found the (greedy) people working there speak English pretty well.

If you don't speak Khmer a visit is definitely worth the time to get info from the (greedy) horse's mouth in English.
Why do you think you’re exaggerating?
Either way, there is quite some inconsistency between information and responses given at various times, resulting in much of the duplication of effort.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Freightdog ....sounds like Calmette charged you double! I've had other couples do it recently and it was the same price as I quoted in the guide. Unless they very recently upped the price 🤔
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:25 pm @Freightdog ....sounds like Calmette charged you double! I've had other couples do it recently and it was the same price as I quoted in the guide. Unless they very recently upped the price 🤔
I queried it twice, based on the previous referenced price. $159?52 for foreigner, $83.51 for Cambodian. Their response- government sets the requirement.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

It’s been a while. The major impediment I had was the requirement that all documents be ‘original’ with the embossed stamp and signature. Official certified transcripts or copies of anything not accepted. Even when state/county/city governments don’t ever give original anything in the west.

Only way to make said documents acceptable was through the fixer. And hence multiple flights to Cambodia to get all the documents in order.

This was a few years ago, maybe the Khmer system has changed that it’s only a 5 minute breeze at the office for native english speakers now.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:17 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:25 pm @Freightdog ....sounds like Calmette charged you double! I've had other couples do it recently and it was the same price as I quoted in the guide. Unless they very recently upped the price 🤔
I queried it twice, based on the previous referenced price. $159?52 for foreigner, $83.51 for Cambodian. Their response- government sets the requirement.
Hmmm....that's a massive price increase, was the same price for foreigner and Cambodian for the pre-nup medical. Oh well, is what it is aye.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:03 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:14 pm

Why do you think you’re exaggerating?
Either way, there is quite some inconsistency between information and responses given at various times, resulting in much of the duplication of effort.
Sorry, I referred to @andrejsl exaggerating. At the MoFA you can easily get by without a word of Cambodian spoken.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:17 pm
Both prices are way overpriced for the checks they will perform. Basically they will do an X-ray of the lungs and some basic blood tests.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

@Freightdog ignore my advice at your peril. If Hong King has dropped all of its covidity, tie the knot there.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

armchairlawyer wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:56 pm @Freightdog ignore my advice at your peril. If Hong King has dropped all of its covidity, tie the knot there.
Hardly seems much point unless the Khmer authorities automatically accept it, and it confers all the benefits of being married in Cambodia. Seems a long way to go for a sake of it process.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic