Marriage thread. September 2021

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Marriage thread. September 2021

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Alex wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:01 pm
Wasn't the 6 months EG extension scrapped last year?
Yes, it certainly was.

Anyone can get a 6 or 12 mth EB EOS through a Visa Agency, just gotta pay extra for them to provide all the necessary supporting documentation, including a WP, at additional cost also.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

armchairlawyer wrote:I don't know if this has already been pointed out but just in case - getting married in Cambodia exposes you to improsonment for a maximum oif one year and fine up to 1 million riel if you commit adultery.
If you got married outside Cambodia no offence is committed since Cambodia does not recognise foreign marriages.

Article 7:
Adultery is the act of a married man having sexual intercourse with a woman who is not his wife,
or the act of a married woman having sexual intercourse with a man who is not her husband.
A person commits the offence of adultery if:
• he has sexual intercourse with another woman while he is still married to his wife, and
his marriage is not yet dissolved.
• she has sexual intercourse with another man while she is still married to her husband, and
her marriage is not yet dissolved.

Article 10:
Anyone convicted of the offences in article 6 and article 7 of this law will be sentenced to a term
of imprisonment of between 1 month and 1 year or a fine of between 200,000 riels and
1,000,000 riels, or both.(Monogamy Act 2006).
There’s the law, and then there’s the correct interpretation of the law.

Even xxxx xxx did not spend time in prison, nor did he ever pay fine.

His xxxxxx, however were punished by his xxxx.
One xyzxyzxyz, another was held down while [Admin edited].

Actually I haven’t heard of anyone paying fines or going to prison. Following the news stories, most affairs are settled by xxxxxx.

[ @newkidontheblock Admin edit: be careful with your libelous comments]
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Even xxxx xxx did not spend time in prison, nor did he ever pay fine.
Yes, because the alleged incidents you posted happened long before the adultery act of 2006.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:02 pm
Actually I haven’t heard of anyone paying fines or going to prison. Following the news stories, most affairs are settled by xxxxxx.

[ @newkidontheblock Admin edit: be careful with your libelous comments]
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... ultery-law

Kandal: A man was sentenced by Kandal Provincial Court Judge Heng Phalla on 29 January 2021, to four months in prison for adultery, after a complaint was made by his wife.

Defendant Ban Sareth, 62 years old, a land broker, is from Sangkat Takhmao, Takhmao City, Kandal Province.

Police from Kandal Provincial Anti-Human Trafficking and Juvenile Protection Office arrested the man on January 16, 2021 at his home, much to the surprise of his neighbors in New World Borey, Takhmao City.

Authorities first sent the suspect to the Kandal Provincial Prosecutor’s Office for legal action. Later, on 16 January 2021, Kandal Provincial Court Judge Heng Phalla issued a Provisional Detention Order and set a January 29 hearing date.

Ban Sareth was charged with adultery under Articles 7 and 10 of the Law on Monogamy. After cross-examination and the conclusions of the representatives of the prosecution, Judge Heng Phalla sentenced the accused to four months in prison without parole.

According to the medical certificate, Ban Sareth has conditions including diabetes, high blood pressure, abdominal pain, and a history of gallbladder surgery.

The defendant said he will continue to appeal to the Court of Appeal for justice, as he left his matrimonial home more than six years ago and does not consider the charges to constitute a real crime. He said that suddenly he was arrested and he is still seriously ill. RASMEI (Jan 2021)

https://english.cambodiadaily.com/news/ ... ion-61551/
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

@newkidontheblock
So, there's 3 examples for you.
In many cases, it will have been used as leverage by the offended spouse to get a better financial deal.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The law used as an instrument of financial leverage, got it.

So as long as the foreigner isn’t a successful land broker, worth millions, and actually doesn’t have any thing left to suck out of it, he should be safe. This is assuming that the ex is not a somebody who can influence the judge to come to the correct decision.

Fortunately, most foreigners don’t fall into that category.

The law as a deterrent to having affairs..

At the villager level, I haven’t heard of anyone being deterred by that. Plenty of affairs going on in this village, and all over Cambodia.

Just my opinion of course.

Other members live in the part of Cambodia where everyone is pious and follows the law.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:33 pm Other members live in the part of Cambodia where everyone is pious and follows the law.
Or don't live in Cambodia at all, such as your good self.
andrejsl
Tourist
Slovenia

Post by andrejsl »

Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:24 am You will need to present the following to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
3. Letter of permission to marry from your country’s embassy.
The nearest embassy for my country (Slovenia) is in Beijing.
So can I get this in my country if we have it?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

andrejsl wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:22 pm
Freightdog wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:24 am You will need to present the following to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
Should be fine, however I suggest conforming with the MoFAIC what is acceptable
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:28 pm
andrejsl wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:22 pm
Should be fine, however I suggest conforming with the MoFAIC what is acceptable
If you can get beyond the language barrier, it’s worth a visit to MOFAIC. With some patience.

We have provided-

For her-
1. Single certificate for her. There’s two versions in Cambodia. One for marriage, and one for other stuff, like major sales of land, assets, etc. (I attribute this to a deep seated misogyny in the bureaucracy assumes women are unable to conduct their own affairs unless absolutely necessary.)
2. Residence certificate for her, in her Sangkat where the family book/carnet is associated.
3. Copy of Carnet de residence.
4. Proof that her parents are dead (in place of specific permission from an octogenarian parent that their 30+ year old daughter is able to get married)
5. Her birth certificate
6. Her Khmer ID card.

For me
1. Embassy affidavit about. (This one needs to be current, within 3 months)*
2. Embassy verification of my divorce certificate. (Satisfies the ‘permission’ to get married requirement, as a non impediment)
3. Embassy verification of my ID
4. Criminal records certificate, relative to your passport and visa in use, especially if you are dual national as I am.
5. Original of your employment contract (they love wet ink and stamps. I’m sure they have wet dreams about stamps), certificate, or retirement support. If originals aren’t available, then these need to be certified by your embassy.

Once that’s all presented, and clarified, there’ll be an interview with MOFAIC.

The fee is $125! So far.

Now, get the Calmette or whatever prenuptial medical exam. MOFAIC will tell you that this doesn’t need to be recent at this point, but the next stage interview with MOI, they will need this also to be recent. (To my mind, there’s SFA rationale for this, it’s just bureaucracy making shit up because that’s what bureaucracy does.
The Calmette medical is $243!

The bit that comes after is a black hole, but I’m sure it’s going to test my already strained patience.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic