Marriage thread. September 2021

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
schlarry
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Marriage thread. September 2021

Post by schlarry »

Question: why does the Khmer party need a medical certificate to marry? What are they trying to screen? Probably one of the few countries in the world that blocks a marriage based on health issues?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

schlarry wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:43 am Question: why does the Khmer party need a medical certificate to marry? What are they trying to screen? Probably one of the few countries in the world that blocks a marriage based on health issues?
Both parties need a prenuptial medical, there are no conditions that will result in the marriage application being denied by the MoFAIC or the MoI, it is so that both parties are aware of any conditions that their partner may have and can make their own decision on whether they still want to marry them.
Tootsfriend
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Tootsfriend »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:03 am
schlarry wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 3:43 am Question: why does the Khmer party need a medical certificate to marry? What are they trying to screen? Probably one of the few countries in the world that blocks a marriage based on health issues?
Both parties need a prenuptial medical, there are no conditions that will result in the marriage application being denied by the MoFAIC or the MoI, it is so that both parties are aware of any conditions that their partner may have and can make their own decision on whether they still want to marry them.

They should have a financial report and bank statements handed in also, '' so that both parties are aware of any conditions that their partner may have and can make their own decision on whether they still want to marry them.''
andrejsl
Tourist
Slovenia

Post by andrejsl »

5. Passport with valid E type (Ordinary MEEV) visa, minimum 6 months validity
Why do you need a business Visa to get married?
So If I don't intend on opening a business in Cambodia the only way to even stay there with the intention of getting married is for some Cambodian company to send me a letter of invitation?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

andrejsl wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:19 pm
So If I don't intend on opening a business in Cambodia the only way to even stay there with the intention of getting married is for some Cambodian company to send me a letter of invitation?
E type is not a business visa, it is just an ordinary visa, even if it has often been called that. There is an EB extension used for working/ business, ER for retirement, ES for student etc. At least 6 months extension is needed.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
andrejsl
Tourist
Slovenia

Post by andrejsl »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:04 pm
E type is not a business visa, it is just an ordinary visa, even if it has often been called that. There is an EB extension used for working/ business, ER for retirement, ES for student etc. At least 6 months extension is needed.
I will probably need more than a month to get the paperwork for marriage ready. Can I extend it for the purpose of marrying?
scott61
Expatriate
Virgin Islands (Brit)

Post by scott61 »

The Cambodian partner will need to present;

1. "Certificate of celibacy...

This one caught my eye. No doubt it wasn't a problem for most of the guys on this forum who married Cambodian women.
Welcome to social media. You will be contacted shortly by someone who doesn't understand humour.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

andrejsl wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:54 pm
I will probably need more than a month to get the paperwork for marriage ready. Can I extend it for the purpose of marrying?
tourist visa can only be extended once for 3o days
Arrive on a e-type visa, extend to a 3, 6 month EG extension ( looking for work) no paperwork needed
no problem
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I don't know if this has already been pointed out but just in case - getting married in Cambodia exposes you to improsonment for a maximum oif one year and fine up to 1 million riel if you commit adultery.
If you got married outside Cambodia no offence is committed since Cambodia does not recognise foreign marriages.

Article 7:
Adultery is the act of a married man having sexual intercourse with a woman who is not his wife,
or the act of a married woman having sexual intercourse with a man who is not her husband.
A person commits the offence of adultery if:
• he has sexual intercourse with another woman while he is still married to his wife, and
his marriage is not yet dissolved.
• she has sexual intercourse with another man while she is still married to her husband, and
her marriage is not yet dissolved.

Article 10:
Anyone convicted of the offences in article 6 and article 7 of this law will be sentenced to a term
of imprisonment of between 1 month and 1 year or a fine of between 200,000 riels and
1,000,000 riels, or both.(Monogamy Act 2006).
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:15 am
andrejsl wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:54 pm
tourist visa can only be extended once for 3o days
Arrive on a e-type visa, extend to a 3, 6 month EG extension ( looking for work) no paperwork needed
no problem
Wasn't the 6 months EG extension scrapped last year?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic