Phnom Penh is now also the most vaccinated capital city in the world

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh is now also the most vaccinated capital city in the world

Post by AndyKK »

And then - I am a strong believer that time is a good healer, in this case development and science.

AstraZeneca antibody cocktail succeeds in late-stage study to treat COVID-19

AstraZeneca's experimental COVID-19 drug has helped cut the risk of severe disease or death in a late-stage study, the British drugmaker said on Monday, a boost to its efforts to develop coronavirus medicines beyond vaccines.

The drug, a cocktail of two antibodies called AZD7442, reduced the risk of severe COVID-19 or death by 50% in non-hospitalised patients who have had symptoms for seven days or less, meeting the main goal of the study.

AstraZeneca's therapy, delivered via injection, is the first of its kind to show promise both as a preventative medicine and as a treatment for COVID-19 following multiple trials. It is designed to protect people who do not have a strong enough immune response to vaccines.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/health/other/ ... d=msedgntp
Always "hope" but never "expect".
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Kammekor that's exactly my point. Usually meds are lab tested for years before they get an FDA approval and then years down the road problems still show up. I think I stated that already. It's all just a crap shoot and just depends on which table you choose to roll the dice at! So my choice would be to roll at the table where the odds are better, I hope!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

LionelBurns wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:55 pm Kammekor that's exactly my point. Usually meds are lab tested for years before they get an FDA approval and then years down the road problems still show up. I think I stated that already. It's all just a crap shoot and just depends on which table you choose to roll the dice at! So my choice would be to roll at the table where the odds are better, I hope!
So where are the odds better than? Following your reasoning I would think the SINO's would be preferable since those use the 'longest proven' technique of an inactivated virus.

However, in real life there seems to the doubt that's the most effective method to create a decent / reliable immune response.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Ya know kammekor ultimately the decision is yours to make. I'm not a medical professional by any stretch of the imagination. I just use the medical information online to help guide me towards my decision. I haven't and do not want to take the jab. My inquiry was strictly limited to the blue card requirement.
All the information I've posted is for others. I only got in this pissin ordeal to back up what I said.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:03 pm
AndyKK wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:19 pm What is the correct way of a person to take the choice of vaccine shots? Is it best for the booster jab to be a different make? - such as you have been administrated with two shots of the vaccine Sinovac then take a booster of AstraZeneca.

Firstly if your in Cambodia you have been given free vaccination if you are a resident. But you will not have the choice to choose what vaccine you wish to have in most cases, not for the moment anyhow, but their are a few who have managed to seek the vaccine they may wish to have.
I would like to know too and have been trying to find out information on which is the best booster to go with.

But there is scant information to decide really. Some countries are mixing vaccines but only a few are doing with Sinovac/Sinopharm as the primary shots. Initial results from Turkey suggests 3 Sinovacs are effective but not so much with 2 Sinovacs and Pfizer. @yongchi's post above provides some early results of various boosters by the Ministry of Health, Chile as summarised here:
ImageImage
Make what you will of that coz it's a summary of 'estimates of effectiveness' and there is no base data or links to the studies as to how they came up with these results. Nevertheless, that seems to show the AZ booster is better.

Having said that, I don't know that that is enough to base a decision on. That's all there is at the moment it seems.
I was actually positively surprised how well the Sinovac booster is estimated to perform (even though it is estimated to be outperformed by AZ).
Very little information though.
Also, came across this today from WHO FWIW saying people over 60 who have had 2 shots of the chinese vaccines should get a booster....hardly a revelation there!
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/world/ ... 58z57.html
And apparently for the Pfizer vaccine, folks need one too. Israel considers people who have had two shots no longer fully vaccinated after 6 months have passed:
"Israel has reportedly asked the United States and European Union to adopt its soon-to-be-updated rules for Israeli travelers, under which eligible people who have not received coronavirus booster shots will no longer be recognized as vaccinated.

Starting October 3, anyone who has not received a booster shot six months after getting a second vaccine dose will have their Green Pass revoked, denying them entry to certain venues and events that require proof of vaccination, recovery from COVID-19 or a negative test result."

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-sa ... -arrivals/

This goes to show how fleeting the data is.
A bit disappointing, actually.

But if the data on waning immunity is correct, I am glad they are not complacent here as well.
yongchi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by yongchi »

LionelBurns wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:06 pm Yongchi: Look up/googl adenovirus, adenovirus vaccines and then the J&J.
"An adenovirus vaccine is a vaccine against adenovirus infection. It was used by the United States military from 1971 to 1999, but was discontinued when the only manufacturer stopped production" I would much rather take a chance on a vaccine that's been around for a long time than something new that doesn't have a track record yet. The bioNtec is being tried for Covid-19 only and therefore hasn't been tested except on humans. There is a wealth of diseases that adenovirus vaccines have been used on including TB, HIV, Tetanus, diphtheria, measles, mumps, the poxes, etc. The only viruses that need boosters are Tetanus and diphtheria. Every 10 years for Tetanus. I've been way down the rabbit hole on this one.
Thank you @LionelBurns . I appreciate your input and will take it as inspiration to learn more about adenovirus vaccines.
I have only limited knowledge about the mechanics, but I have always found the single-shot J&J to be appealing. I hope the U.S. can send over more.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

There is a top FT data scientist on Twitter (@jburnmurdoch) clawing through this deluge of manure on a daily basis - many cities/countries are publishing data that is maybe 5-10% away from reality (in countries with strong procedures), so God knows what the data from tinpot countries is truly like. Even the USA/Florida data is so badly wrong due to the number of people staying there for 'winter' instead of their cold home state, getting jabs (recorded as a stat) and then heading off back home; so the top line stats on vaccination for Florida look amazing, where the number of jabs is above the estimated population of the state. The reality is much worse. And therein is the other problem, most of these stats are based on a decade old census data, very few countries have an accurate idea of the true population.

Zero COVID is just a dream. To me public policy still should come to how the health system is coping with the demand for COVID beds, etc. If the country/city is on top of that, then you can gradually relax rules - if the death toll is catastrophic and hospitals unable to cope, time to re-enforce lockdowns, strict access policies, etc. - and all the while provide free access to jabs, boosters, vaccine education, etc.

In Phnom Penh's case I've never seen any issues on hospitals/oxygen/ventilators and the like, so even if the virus strains are rampant during testing, yet this key stat holds true, keep calm & eat prahok? The need to show vaccination cards is just a knee jerk copy & paste from other countries, and we're starting to see cases like Israel with superb data/compliance on jabs, that even that is having no bearing on COVID cases which continue to move with the seasons like a certain other virus it shouldn't be compared with. I give it 6 months of mucking around before that policy is still there, but absolutely nobody gives a toss. (where's that "Change My Mind" meme pic!) :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Personally I wasn't and will never give out/recommend any medical advice. I was only posting what I had learned through the internet from several/many different non conflicting sources. As with everyone else it's my/your choice. Some of the information isn't even available through Google as they're biased & agenda driven. I had to go to Duck Duck Go to gather some of it. You ask Google a direct question and they'll come up with pages that are on their agenda and not even remotely close to the questions you've asked.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

@yongchi: I asked the US Embassy ACS the basically same question last week about the J&J and where I might be able to get it. Here's their curt reply in part:

"All foreign residents of Cambodia are eligible to receive vaccinations in accordance with the Government of Cambodia's national vaccination plan. We advise you to contact your local Sangkat/commune office for more information on receiving a vaccine. At this time, the U.S. Embassy does NOT plan to provide vaccines to private U.S. citizens living abroad. If you wish to get the US vaccine of your preference, you may return to the United States to get it." In order words, muck off!

I guess this is because you've chosen to live a life where you don't have to live under a strict authoritarian govt!
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

LionelBurns wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:56 am Personally I wasn't and will never give out/recommend any medical advice. I was only posting what I had learned through the internet from several/many different non conflicting sources. As with everyone else it's my/your choice. Some of the information isn't even available through Google as they're biased & agenda driven. I had to go to Duck Duck Go to gather some of it. You ask Google a direct question and they'll come up with pages that are on their agenda and not even remotely close to the questions you've asked.
This. "I had to go to Duck Duck Go to gather some of it". So true. In fact if you did NOT use Google and only used duck duck go, it would be interesting to see what peoples opinion of the whole Covid thing looked like. I bet it wouldn't be the same. Lots of unconscious bias generated and fostered simply by the choice of media sources one uses.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic