Phnom Penh is now also the most vaccinated capital city in the world

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh is now also the most vaccinated capital city in the world

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:24 pm
LionelBurns wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:06 pm Yongchi: Look up/googl adenovirus, adenovirus vaccines and then the J&J.
"An adenovirus vaccine is a vaccine against adenovirus infection. It was used by the United States military from 1971 to 1999, but was discontinued when the only manufacturer stopped production" I would much rather take a chance on a vaccine that's been around for a long time than something new that doesn't have a track record yet. The bioNtec is being tried for Covid-19 only and therefore hasn't been tested except on humans. There is a wealth of diseases that adenovirus vaccines have been used on including TB, HIV, Tetanus, diphtheria, measles, mumps, the poxes, etc. The only viruses that need boosters are Tetanus and diphtheria. Every 10 years for Tetanus. I've been way down the rabbit hole on this one.
There's no HIV vaccine, tetanus is a bacterial infection, tuberculosis is a bacterial infection, so is diphtheria.
You are right, but also wrongfully looking in the wrong direction maybe, adenovirus is has LionelBurns posted, and what he writes on illnesses the drug is used.

To date, several adenovirus-based vaccines are in clinical and pre-clinical trials. Vaccines developed against HIV, Ebola virus, influenza virus, Mycobacterium tuberculosis, and Plasmodium falciparum are currently under human clinical trials. There are also vaccines under preclinical trials developed against rabies virus, dengue virus, and middle east respiratory syndrome coronavirus. Meanwhile, adenovirus-based vaccines for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) have been authorized for emergency use amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Kammekor: "Adenoviruses are considered excellent vectors for delivering target antigens to mammalian hosts because of their capability to induce both innate and adaptive immune responses. Currently, adenovirus-based vaccines are used against a wide variety of pathogens, including Mycobacterium tuberculosis, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), and Plasmodium falciparum" (malaria) .Now do your own legwork and either put up or STFU or post your medical certs plus your research! Everything I said I got off the GOOGLE internet so you can use it to disprove me, you got that pilgrim? I don't talk out my a...s. I research everything before I post it. There were too many side jaunts to go back to and refind. So, bottom line, it's the reason for my "new post" that opened this thread.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

What is the correct way of a person to take the choice of vaccine shots? Is it best for the booster jab to be a different make? - such as you have been administrated with two shots of the vaccine Sinovac then take a booster of AstraZeneca.

Firstly if your in Cambodia you have been given free vaccination if you are a resident. But you will not have the choice to choose what vaccine you wish to have in most cases, not for the moment anyhow, but their are a few who have managed to seek the vaccine they may wish to have.
ego bibere nimis
Expatriate
Australia

Post by ego bibere nimis »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:19 pm What is the correct way of a person to take the choice of vaccine shots? Is it best for the booster jab to be a different make? - such as you have been administrated with two shots of the vaccine Sinovac then take a booster of AstraZeneca.

Firstly if your in Cambodia you have been given free vaccination if you are a resident. But you will not have the choice to choose what vaccine you wish to have in most cases, not for the moment anyhow, but their are a few who have managed to seek the vaccine they may wish to have.
Andy, given that no one and I mean NO ONE on this blog is an expert and should in no way be rendering an opinion, I suggest you take advice from medical experts only.
You know that tingly little feeling you get when you really like someone? That's common sense leaving your body.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Kammekor: "vector vaccines: "There are several different types of vaccines. Each type is designed to teach your immune system how to fight off certain kinds of germs—and the serious diseases they cause.
"Based on a number of these factors, scientists decide which type of vaccine they will make. There are several types of vaccines, including:
Inactivated vaccines
Live-attenuated vaccines
Messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccines".
Inactivated vaccines are used to protect against:
Hepatitis A
Flu (shot only)
Polio (shot only)
Rabies
Live-attenuated vaccines:
Live vaccines are used to protect against:
Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR combined vaccine)
Rotavirus
Smallpox
Chickenpox
Yellow fever
Messenger RNA vaccines—also called mRNA vaccines:
mRNA vaccines are used to protect against:
COVID-19! Any other questions kammekor?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

LionelBurns wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:18 pm Kammekor: "Adenoviruses are considered excellent vectors for delivering target antigens to mammalian hosts because of their capability to induce both innate and adaptive immune responses. Currently, adenovirus-based vaccines are used against a wide variety of pathogens, including Mycobacterium tuberculosis, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), and Plasmodium falciparum" (malaria) .Now do your own legwork and either put up or STFU or post your medical certs plus your research! Everything I said I got off the GOOGLE internet so you can use it to disprove me, you got that pilgrim? I don't talk out my a...s. I research everything before I post it. There were too many side jaunts to go back to and refind. So, bottom line, it's the reason for my "new post" that opened this thread.
Maybe I didn't get your point correctly? Are you claiming adeno-vector vaccines are relatively safe because there's been a wealth of this kind of vaccines used in the past? As opposed to MRNA vaccines?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

ego bibere nimis wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:27 pm
AndyKK wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:19 pm What is the correct way of a person to take the choice of vaccine shots? Is it best for the booster jab to be a different make? - such as you have been administrated with two shots of the vaccine Sinovac then take a booster of AstraZeneca.

Andy, given that no one and I mean NO ONE on this blog is an expert and should in no way be rendering an opinion, I suggest you take advice from medical experts only.
I was only generalising on what may be considered that of a simple question. You, yourself have been the first to answer, basically answering that no one should answer, because no one is qualified on this site to give such an answer too a question. That could be said so, what gives you the expertise to answer for others in this matter that you know nothing about. But then again how do I not know that your past working life may have been in the field of overseas illnesses.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:33 pm
LionelBurns wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:18 pm Kammekor: "Adenoviruses are considered excellent vectors for delivering target antigens to mammalian hosts because of their capability to induce both innate and adaptive immune responses. Currently, adenovirus-based vaccines are used against a wide variety of pathogens, including Mycobacterium tuberculosis, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), and Plasmodium falciparum" (malaria) .Now do your own legwork and either put up or STFU or post your medical certs plus your research! Everything I said I got off the GOOGLE internet so you can use it to disprove me, you got that pilgrim? I don't talk out my a...s. I research everything before I post it. There were too many side jaunts to go back to and refind. So, bottom line, it's the reason for my "new post" that opened this thread.
Maybe I didn't get your point correctly? Are you claiming adeno-vector vaccines are relatively safe because there's been a wealth of this kind of vaccines used in the past? As opposed to MRNA vaccines?
There are no claims, only that of years of trials and ongoing science.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I would like to know too and have been trying to find out information on which is the best booster to go with.

But there is scant information to decide really. Some countries are mixing vaccines but only a few are doing with Sinovac/Sinopharm as the primary shots. Initial results from Turkey suggests 3 Sinovacs are effective but not so much with 2 Sinovacs and Pfizer. @yongchi's post above provides some early results of various boosters by the Ministry of Health, Chile as summarised here:
ImageImage
Make what you will of that coz it's a summary of 'estimates of effectiveness' and there is no base data or links to the studies as to how they came up with these results. Nevertheless, that seems to show the AZ booster is better.

Having said that, I don't know that that is enough to base a decision on. That's all there is at the moment it seems.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Most of the results show good percentage, but like you and many would like guidance for the choice, or better still strong evidence. There is a point too the Americanized "blame for claim". China may have done well on not releasing relevant data on their vaccines, better let others take the glory or blame on that score.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic