Phnom Penh is now also the most vaccinated capital city in the world

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: PP is now also the most vaccinated capital city in the world

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:26 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:44 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:26 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:11 pm ^^
Might have got buried in another thread, but there's also info here for getting a Sinovac booster post516297.html#p516297

Which raises the question: If one has already had 2 Sinovac shots, should they get another Sinovac booster or an AZ booster?
I believe getting AZ would improve your overall protection because it's a different type of vaccine. i.e you'd have a broader protection than Sinovac alone. If you think back several months they were trialling mix'n'match shots for that exact reason. Early trials of one AZ plus one Pfizer were quite promising.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 021-05-24/
I looked specifically for studies on the effects of mixing Sinovac and another vaccine booster. Turkey and Thailand have/are doing that.

Some results from Turkey suggests 3 shots of Sinovac are better than mixing Sinovac/Pfizer ie 3 doses of inactive vaccines, rather than in those who received two doses of inactive vaccines and one booster shot of an mRNA vaccine (the rest of the article is pay walled). As AZ is an inactive vaccine, maybe that's OK too?
https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coron ... h-minister

There seems to be no study results yet on mixing Sinovac and AZ even though the governments of Turkey, Thailand and Cambodia say it's OK to do. Plus in some countries AZ is not recommended for young people.
Well obviously the authorities here have decided to go this way. They're reserving what's left of the AZ for third shots only. I mean, if you'd prefer a third Sinovac instead, just wait a month or two longer for them to run out of AZ. They got in 6m more doses of Sinovac so I'm not sure what that's for if not third shots.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but honestly I'm not clear what the way of the authorities is. On the one hand, you have HE announcing Sinovac should be mixed with AZ, yet OTOH you have the PP MOH progressing with the Sinovac booster rollout to-day and the 30th. So together with the National Pedriatic and Preah Ang Doung Hospitals issuing AZ, you've got 2 rollouts running in tandem with no guidance on which one individuals should choose. However, it seems they may not have enough of the AZ booster so it'll be a case of reverting to the Sinovac booster.

Maybe it's no big deal and people can just choose.. For me personally tho, to make a decision which way to go, I would have liked to see some reports or results of mixing Sinovac and AZ (other than politicians saying it's OK). Maybe I'm being overly cautious I dunno.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:08 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:26 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:26 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:11 pm ^^
Might have got buried in another thread, but there's also info here for getting a Sinovac booster post516297.html#p516297

Which raises the question: If one has already had 2 Sinovac shots, should they get another Sinovac booster or an AZ booster?
I believe getting AZ would improve your overall protection because it's a different type of vaccine. i.e you'd have a broader protection than Sinovac alone. If you think back several months they were trialling mix'n'match shots for that exact reason. Early trials of one AZ plus one Pfizer were quite promising.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 021-05-24/
I looked specifically for studies on the effects of mixing Sinovac and another vaccine booster. Turkey and Thailand have/are doing that.

Some results from Turkey suggests 3 shots of Sinovac are better than mixing Sinovac/Pfizer ie 3 doses of inactive vaccines, rather than in those who received two doses of inactive vaccines and one booster shot of an mRNA vaccine (the rest of the article is pay walled). As AZ is an inactive vaccine, maybe that's OK too?

There seems to be no study results yet on mixing Sinovac and AZ even though the governments of Turkey, Thailand and Cambodia say it's OK to do. Plus in some countries AZ is not recommended for young people.
Well obviously the authorities here have decided to go this way. They're reserving what's left of the AZ for third shots only. I mean, if you'd prefer a third Sinovac instead, just wait a month or two longer for them to run out of AZ. They got in 6m more doses of Sinovac so I'm not sure what that's for if not third shots.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but honestly I'm not clear what the way of the authorities is. On the one hand, you have HE announcing Sinovac should be mixed with AZ, yet OTOH you have the PP MOH progressing with the Sinovac booster rollout to-day and the 30th. So together with the National Pedriatic and Preah Ang Doung Hospitals issuing AZ, you've got 2 rollouts running in tandem with no guidance on which one individuals should choose. However, it seems they may not have enough of the AZ booster so it'll be a case of reverting to the Sinovac booster.

Maybe it's no big deal and people can just choose.. For me personally tho, to make a decision which way to go, I would have liked to see some reports or results of mixing Sinovac and AZ (other than politicians saying it's OK). Maybe I'm being overly cautious I dunno.
If I mysteriously disappear in the next week, wait to get Sinovac. So far so good though, only a sore arm, but a mate who also got his yesterday had sweats and chills today. But that's not uncommon for AZ.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Thanks for that, it is something I’ve wondered a lot about. Intuitively it feels like mixing shots would give better protection from variants, but of course the human body often works in ways that are counter-intuitive.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:08 pm Maybe it's no big deal and people can just choose..
The amusing part being that 99.9% of the population - this forum included - aren’t in the slightest bit equipped to make a genuinely informed decision on the topic. At best you’re going off a few summary figures and picking the number that looks bigger.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

They used AZ has the booster today in Chber Ampov.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

nerdlinger wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:58 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:08 pm Maybe it's no big deal and people can just choose..
The amusing part being that 99.9% of the population - this forum included - aren’t in the slightest bit equipped to make a genuinely informed decision on the topic. At best you’re going off a few summary figures and picking the number that looks bigger.
Of course. I've always said to get vaxxed with whatever they offer you. Not like people who would rather wait - and put themselves and others at risk - for a vaccine they perceive as better (e.g. Pfizer in Australia). Right now we've had two shots and have essentially been given the choice for the third. So it's all up to you.

When you say "Intuitively it feels like mixing shots would give better protection from variants" then yes, that is how I feel, rightly or wrongly. We're very fortunate to be living in a country that is the 10th most vaccinated in the world. I'm thankful to the Cambodian government and to China for all the freebies which got us here.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:04 pm They used AZ has the booster today in Chber Ampov.
From this initiative?
which clearly says Sinovac.. so, they're not sticking to that exclusively and some using AZ instead?

@nemo posted he got Sinovac today but presumably a different sangkat.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Dombok Khpuos Pagoda
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:06 pm
When you say "Intuitively it feels like mixing shots would give better protection from variants" then yes, that is how I feel, rightly or wrongly.
My amateur doctor reasoning on why it might not be the case is that it’s not the vaccine itself that kills the coronavirus, it’s your immune system’s response to the vaccine. So, it doesn’t necessarily follow that two different vaccines based on the same coronavirus would breed two unique and complementary sets of antibodies in the same person.

(Caution: all the above may be bollocks and probably is)
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Not all vaccines are “based on the coronavirus”.

It’s all bollocks that’s fo sho.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic