Easiest way to Stay Long Term? (for 35 yr old)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
CloudWarrior
Tourist
United States of America

Easiest way to Stay Long Term? (for 35 yr old)

Post by CloudWarrior »

What's the Easiest way for me to Retire in Cambodia for the Long Term?

I don't work. I have about 400K worth of investments but I live cheap and can grow my investments more than I spend.

Is ER Visa easier? I've read for those under 55, only some agents will approve and they'll need proof of savings, but I'm not sure if I would qualify as having proof of savings since it's mostly investments and possible not enough? Or do we need to just prove enough funds to last the 1 year visa extension?

Or EB Visa easier? I've read I can register a business in Cambodia and then write my own employment letter, then just re-register for a business visa (EB) every year? I was thinking I could say I'm a self employed freelance English teacher?
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Easiest way to Stay Long Term? (for 35 yr old)

Post by John Bingham »

You can only get an E-class visa. ER and EB are extensions that you can only get in Cambodia if you qualify and have supporting documents.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
CloudWarrior
Tourist
United States of America

Post by CloudWarrior »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:44 pm You can only get an E-class visa. ER and EB are extensions that you can only get in Cambodia if you qualify and have supporting documents.
Right. I will get E-class when I land for 30 days.

Do you recommend planning which extension I will do: ER, or EB before I arrive?

Or get a visa agent after I arrive to help me figure out which extensions I can do to stay long term?

Do you think it's realistic that I could find a way to stay long term with one of the annual extensions?
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

One word of warning: 400k seems like a lot now but Bangkok and several other cities are full of desperately struggling expats who came over when their nest egg was enough to keep them set for life, and then in a few short years an economic boom skyrocketed both the local currency and cost of living.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Visas on Arrival remain suspended, the only way to get an E-type (Ordinary) Visa (often still incorrectly referred to as the Business Visa) currently is in advance from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate, the criteria for the issuing of said Visa varies from Embassy to Embassy, most require business/employment related supporting documentation from a Cambodian registered company, some have very lenient or even non-existent supporting documentation criteria, so you need to check with the Embassy/Consulate accredited to where you will be applying.

Once you have entered Cambodia on the E-type Visa you then need to apply for an EOS (Extension of Stay) within 1 month of arrival.

You can obtain an ER (Retirement) EOS if under 55 by providing:
- Official certified proof of retirement/pension
OR
- Statutory declaration explaining that you are retired due to being financially independent, etc, and that you do not intend to seek employment in Cambodia, will abide by all of the laws of Cambodia, etc. etc..
AND
- Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself for the duration of your stay (there is no official published minimum, but people have shown as little as $6000 in a bank account).

Most reputable agents can facilitate this for those under 55, the youngest person I know to have obtained an ER EOS was 28.

Failing that, most agents can still facilitate an EB (Business) EOS for those who don't actually have employment or business in Cambodia.
Pedrazo
Expatriate

Post by Pedrazo »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:24 am One word of warning: 400k seems like a lot now but Bangkok and several other cities are full of desperately struggling expats who came over when their nest egg was enough to keep them set for life, and then in a few short years an economic boom skyrocketed both the local currency and cost of living.
I agree. A 35 year old has known nothing but the stock market going up, up, up, (with the exception of the big dip in April 2020) and probably expects to make 7% - 10% a year in passive investment income forever. $400,000 is not enough to comfortably retire on at age 35.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Anyone who has lived in Cambodia for a reasonable amount of time has met plenty of people who arrived with more than that and ended up destitute, and they were mostly a lot older than 35. Usually dudes post-divorce arriving with the 50% of assets they were left with after getting fleeced.

Bad idea is a bad idea. $400k isn't enough to retire comfortably at 35 anywhere in the world.
TheImplication
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by TheImplication »

Bubble T wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:24 am Anyone who has lived in Cambodia for a reasonable amount of time has met plenty of people who arrived with more than that and ended up destitute, and they were mostly a lot older than 35. Usually dudes post-divorce arriving with the 50% of assets they were left with after getting fleeced.

Bad idea is a bad idea. $400k isn't enough to retire comfortably at 35 anywhere in the world.
What amount would be?
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:18 am
Most reputable agents can facilitate this for those under 55, the youngest person I know to have obtained an ER EOS was 28.
I'd be curious to know what agents are helping under 55s get retirement visas. Every agent I have asked about the Retirement Visa has laughed in my face when asked if they could help me get one (I am under 55).
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

TheImplication wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:52 am
Bubble T wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:24 am Anyone who has lived in Cambodia for a reasonable amount of time has met plenty of people who arrived with more than that and ended up destitute, and they were mostly a lot older than 35. Usually dudes post-divorce arriving with the 50% of assets they were left with after getting fleeced.

What amount would be?
add one of these: "0"

Edit:
And if you are one of those people who can accumulate that kind of money at the age of 35, the chances of you wanting to retire at 35 are the same, 0

However, if you have come into that kind of money by luck - lottery, inheritance, bought 100 Bitcoin in 2013 while drunk and only just remembered - then be very careful.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic