Easiest way to Stay Long Term? (for 35 yr old)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Easiest way to Stay Long Term? (for 35 yr old)

Post by Kammekor »

CloudWarrior wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:48 pm I plan on going next year, when the crypto cycle is higher and I've partially cashed out so I can survive a 1 to 5 year bear market.
What if the market for cryptos perishes over the next decades?
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

lol, some of you sound quite salty about a 30 something retiring. Yes, some people can and want to retire in their 30s.

I simply didn't get into debt when I was in my 20s, and invested half my paycheck in the stock market every month. You do that for 10 years then you can retire.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:58 pm
CloudWarrior wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:48 pm I was able to accurately know when BTC was at the top and bottom of it's cycles.
GOD.

DO NOT invest with this man!!!!
(but good luck to you, Cloud 9, regardless)
CloudWarrior
Tourist
United States of America

Post by CloudWarrior »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:58 pm
CloudWarrior wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:48 pm I was able to accurately know when BTC was at the top and bottom of it's cycles.
I think you're wearing pink painted glasses now, and are overestimating yourself. Anyone able to constant predict tops and bottoms of markets is nothing less than GOD. Your experience with BTC over the last few years has no predictive value at all for the next decade. No matter what you believe.

Making (serious) money in Bitcoin over the last two years has been a very, VERY easy ride, even I managed to do so (a bit).
True. I was just talking about before I got into crypto or learned about investing, being able to spot the 2017 top and 2018 bottom. My approach now is to estimate the likely maximum duration of a bear market based on a number of changing factors, should it start at any point in the cycle and have enough cash on hand to live through one, should it occur. So it's a lot less focused on exact timing, the cash is to ride out not perfectly predictable market cycles when they occur.

But you make a good point and I will definitely gain some other skills, and get something else going as backup/fail safe.
Last edited by CloudWarrior on Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CloudWarrior
Tourist
United States of America

Post by CloudWarrior »

Khmer_Risotto wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:03 pm lol, some of you sound quite salty about a 30 something retiring. Yes, some people can and want to retire in their 30s.

I simply didn't get into debt when I was in my 20s, and invested half my paycheck in the stock market every month. You do that for 10 years then you can retire.
Thanks! Yah. I'd rather enjoy life in my 30s, than retire when I'm old.

I was 70K in debt after college in my 20s but lived cheap and clawed my way out. It was brutal but I'm pretty sure I could bounce back from anything.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Bubble T wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:24 am
Bad idea is a bad idea. $400k isn't enough to retire comfortably at 35 anywhere in the world.
400 K is enough to retire (assuming age of about 60) if you are on you own (no wife, no kids, no elderly at home to care for) in most SEA countries. The key is the number of bad habits that you may or may not have.

at the age of 35 you will need to invest your money wisely and produce a return..not too difficult IMHO.
work is for people who cant find truffles
CloudWarrior
Tourist
United States of America

Post by CloudWarrior »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:01 pm
CloudWarrior wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:48 pm I plan on going next year, when the crypto cycle is higher and I've partially cashed out so I can survive a 1 to 5 year bear market.
What if the market for cryptos perishes over the next decades?
It's very unlikely. Smart contracts reduce risk and lower cost as they cannibalize existing sectors of the economy. International trade, insurance, and bonds for example. Smart contracts need a crypto currency to power them, such as Ethereum and rely on other crypto currencies for specific operations.

But as far as a temporary bear market...

Bear markets in the past have lasted over a decade, but everything has accelerated now. There's too much automation and publicly available knowledge and analysis on trading for a bear market to last more than about five years. The 2007 stock market bear market recovered in about 5 years for example. Compare that to a 1970 bear market that lasted about 18 years, or go back even further to a the 1910 bear/side ways market that lasted 50 years. As communication speed increases, telegraph, phone lines, internet, you-tube and market analysis proliferation, automated stock trade copying, publicly available fear and greed indices, learning algorithm based trading, even better learning algorithm based trading, etc. the bear markets shorten in duration.

Financial systems are objectively speeding up over time. There is a risk of an outlier event but there's always some risk life, and different people are comfortable taking different amounts of risk.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Go hard, do what you think you are good at.
As long as you spread your risk - including burying 50% of it in coffee jars around your Mum's back yard.
(ps, welcome to CEO, brother)
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

barang_TK wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:35 pm With 400k$ (4 millions then :lol: ), you guys think it's not possible to retire at 35 ? I suppose the OP who wrote he lives cheap is not going to live in an expensive condo in PP center. He can find everywhere in the kingdom a piece of land, build a nice house and plant some trees behind (like a hundred durians trees behind the house on a one hectare field). Even not too far from an expat city if he wants to meet fellows on weekends.
You can live easily in the countryside with 500$/month !
It’s technically possible, I just think OP may be kidding themselves if they think they’d be happy living that lifestyle and staying single for the next 4-6 decades.
Khmer_Risotto
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Khmer_Risotto »

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:00 am
barang_TK wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:35 pm With 400k$ (4 millions then :lol: ), you guys think it's not possible to retire at 35 ? I suppose the OP who wrote he lives cheap is not going to live in an expensive condo in PP center. He can find everywhere in the kingdom a piece of land, build a nice house and plant some trees behind (like a hundred durians trees behind the house on a one hectare field). Even not too far from an expat city if he wants to meet fellows on weekends.
You can live easily in the countryside with 500$/month !
It’s technically possible, I just think OP may be kidding themselves if they think they’d be happy living that lifestyle and staying single for the next 4-6 decades.
Generally, people that are able to retire in their 30s are decent investors. That 400K isn't going just sit idly in a saving account. It will grow through investments, and in a few years he will probably have a lot more than 400k, even with paying for living expenses. So his net worth will out pace inflation and what he can afford will go up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic