Easiest way to Stay Long Term? (for 35 yr old)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Easiest way to Stay Long Term? (for 35 yr old)

Post by AndyKK »

Khmer_Risotto wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:58 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:18 am
Most reputable agents can facilitate this for those under 55, the youngest person I know to have obtained an ER EOS was 28.
I'd be curious to know what agents are helping under 55s get retirement visas. Every agent I have asked about the Retirement Visa has laughed in my face when asked if they could help me get one (I am under 55).
If that's the case, it's time to get your papers in order and have a go at obtaining the ER EOS from Emigration. You never know you maybe laughing back at the agents.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Ryan754326
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Ryan754326 »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:37 am
And if you are one of those people who can accumulate that kind of money at the age of 35, the chances of you wanting to retire at 35 are the same, 0
I’m 36, and in a similar position to the OP.

I didn’t inherit my money or get lucky with cryptos, I made it by working as a truck driver, and after working enough to save that kind of money by the age of 35, I can tell you, I’m definitely ready to retire.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

Highly doubt it, what kills many ex-pat dreams is not taking into account inflation, currency fluctuation, random costs, and economic booms, i.e sure you can live comfortable on 40000 baht today, but inflation and changes in the economy mean that might not be the case in 10 years.

That said, using divert ends from 400K smartly invested whilst doing remote work or TEFL could give you a very comfortable lifestyle.

That said, I would also take into account how diverse is the 400K invested?... cause this bull run can't last, and a crash is coming in all markets from the stock markets to the crypto...
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Like others I will not discuss how you got your money and if it is enough to retire. I think is not my business, but why would you retire here at age of 35? Once borders will open it will be easy to travel again in SE Asia, many more new places to explore and see. I doubt that you see everything at age 35.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
barang_TK
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by barang_TK »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:10 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:37 am
TheImplication wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:52 am
Bubble T wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:24 am Anyone who has lived in Cambodia for a reasonable amount of time has met plenty of people who arrived with more than that and ended up destitute, and they were mostly a lot older than 35. Usually dudes post-divorce arriving with the 50% of assets they were left with after getting fleeced.

Bad idea is a bad idea. $400k isn't enough to retire comfortably at 35 anywhere in the world.
What amount would be?
add one of these: "0"
I reckon you’re pretty much bang on with that number. $4M is the figure I generally think of as being “rich” rather than just “doing well”.

It’s $67k/year for 60 years if you ignore both investment income and losses to inflation or exchange rate risk. It still might sound a lot for Cambodia but it’s naive to think you’ll be happy living in a budget apartment doing nothing for the rest of your life, and also that you won’t have unexpected expenses like a family or medical bills.
I agree with your last words (family and medical bills can be unexpected expenses) ; OP has money enough to pay a good insurance for him and (probably) his future family.
With 400k$ (4 millions then :lol: ), you guys think it's not possible to retire at 35 ? I suppose the OP who wrote he lives cheap is not going to live in an expensive condo in PP center. He can find everywhere in the kingdom a piece of land, build a nice house and plant some trees behind (like a hundred durians trees behind the house on a one hectare field). Even not too far from an expat city if he wants to meet fellows on weekends.
You can live easily in the countryside with 500$/month !
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Railroad »

Retire at 35/36?
What ya gonna do all day? :-x :mulled:

(Assumin' we're talkin' to males here)
Yer girlfriend sure-as-kabul won't want yous hangin' round the 'ouse all day, while she's tryna do the vacuuming. :oops:
CloudWarrior
Tourist
United States of America

Post by CloudWarrior »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:25 am
Pedrazo wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:34 am
nerdlinger wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:24 am One word of warning: 400k seems like a lot now but Bangkok and several other cities are full of desperately struggling expats who came over when their nest egg was enough to keep them set for life, and then in a few short years an economic boom skyrocketed both the local currency and cost of living.
I agree. A 35 year old has known nothing but the stock market going up, up, up, (with the exception of the big dip in April 2020) and probably expects to make 7% - 10% a year in passive investment income forever. $400,000 is not enough to comfortably retire on at age 35.
For big money forget about the stockmarkets, think crypto, if you were an early adapter or have great timing.
Loads to be made, loads to be lost.

This was an entertaining thread XD.

I make my money investing in crypto. I've read a solid amount of books on investing, understand the concepts and major models and indicators of Bitcoin Cycles, as well as from a mathematical perspective I can recognize why some of the models are stronger than others. I also do fundamental analysis to control my downside risk, such as game theory and competitive analysis. I've failed in many ways as well to make money, such as writing and marketing software and many other projects, I learn and I never give up. But in no way did I stumble upon any money. Even before I invested in crypto, or learned as much about investing and the crypto market that I have, I was able to accurately know when BTC was at the top and bottom of it's cycles. I don't invest in BTC because there's bigger gains elsewhere, but I do follow the cycles because a drop in BTC causes an even bigger drop in Alts.

I'm also aware there's a risk to my strategy and will adapt accordingly if I run low on money. I do plan on improving certain skills of mine that I know will be useful for me to earn money online, should I need to fall back on them, but that will realistically take a few years to refine enough to be competitive. I'd love to do that while relaxing in Cambodia or maybe Philippines.

As far as researching these things on my own (Some one else mentioned), I have but much of the information online can be out dated, that's why I came to the forum to verify. From the responses it sounds like ER extension is a low chance gamble.

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:35 pm Lol, state of this thread

OP: It's a piece of piss to stay long term in Cambodia - once on the ground let a travel agent sort your visa stuff for you as it's the easiest way.

/thread
Great to know. I'll most likely do this. Register a business in Cambodia, or whatever I have to do, after hiring a travel agent or two. I'm also looking into the Philippines, but that's kinda unrelated to this forum.

Some one else mentioned that they're not doing E-class Visa's on landing because of Covid. I plan on going next year, when the crypto cycle is higher and I've partially cashed out so I can survive a 1 to 5 year bear market. So I suppose I'll call or email a travel agent before I go to verify if E-class Visa's are available on landing, or not.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

barang_TK wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:35 pm
You can live easily in the countryside with 500$/month !
Maybe.

But if you're 35 years old, is that LIVING THE LIFE?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

CloudWarrior wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:48 pm I was able to accurately know when BTC was at the top and bottom of it's cycles.
I think you're wearing pink painted glasses now, and are overestimating yourself. Anyone able to constant predict tops and bottoms of markets is nothing less than GOD. Your experience with BTC over the last few years has no predictive value at all for the next decade. No matter what you believe.

Making (serious) money in Bitcoin over the last two years has been a very, VERY easy ride, even I managed to do so (a bit).
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:18 am Visas on Arrival remain suspended, the only way to get an E-type (Ordinary) Visa (often still incorrectly referred to as the Business Visa) currently is in advance from a Cambodian Embassy/Consulate, the criteria for the issuing of said Visa varies from Embassy to Embassy, most require business/employment related supporting documentation from a Cambodian registered company, some have very lenient or even non-existent supporting documentation criteria, so you need to check with the Embassy/Consulate accredited to where you will be applying.
Hey PTSD, I have not being paying attention to the new visas regimes, because i have not needed too. Until soon.
Sorry, this must be repetitious for you.

As a kiwi in Oz, how will i go getting an E-type?
No biz or employment in Cambodia. Will be wanting an ER asap after arrival.
Thnx.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic