Phu Quoc, no longer the 'last paradise' of Vietnam?

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Phu Quoc, no longer the 'last paradise' of Vietnam?

Post by jaynewcastle »

crob wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:10 pm Never been... would like to check it out one day, that said, I've never understood SE-Asia's need to try to build up tourist destination at a rapid pace... it tends to kill what made these places special, turning off the tourist that would normally return and the new hotels that were built often don't last long.
Local people initially, desperate for money, seeing the way to make money from a flood of international tourists, eager to spend money & see new exotic destinations. Then the companies start moving in to build mega-resorts etc

Look at the development on the Koh Rong islands the last 7-8 years, already spoiling what were lovely islands

I guess the same happened to Ko Samui 20-30 years ago & Ko Phi Phi, Ko Lipe etc in the last 15 years in Thailand

Even in south-west coastal Sri Lanka over the last 10 years, the amount of development has gone through the roof
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by orussey98 »

crob wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:10 pm Never been... would like to check it out one day, that said, I've never understood SE-Asia's need to try to build up tourist destination at a rapid pace... it tends to kill what made these places special, turning off the tourist that would normally return and the new hotels that were built often don't last long.
Because locals people don't understand what attract the foreigners in SEA

Local people crave for modernity , skyscrapers, condominium, big cars, club and neons light
So they think the foreigners are looking for the same thing
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

People say they want to go to unspoiled places
but the don't.

The excuse usually is that they are all gone.
lol
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

With over 7000 islands there's some beautiful, unspoilt beaches in the Philippines however they are a PITA to get to and when you get there the amenities are often very basic.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:22 pm With over 7000 islands there's some beautiful, unspoilt beaches in the Philippines however they are a PITA to get to and when you get there the amenities are often very basic.
'Pity there is nothing like that in Cambodia
Spoiler:
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

hanno wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:32 pm Yes, the development leaves a lot to be desired. This monstrosity was built in Sa Pa, where I live. Caused a shit-storm on social media and had to be taken down.

what in the hell is that supposed to be? looks like someone made trump into the statue of liberty. we can be thankful it was taken down.

On a side note sir, where would you recommend Hanno? I like what I see that they have done with Da Laat but maybe also bad? Hoi An I accept is super touristy but I liked it, Hue also was an interesting place a good balance of history and some life. Nha Trang, Mui Ne were garbage. So where is there coastal or other (N.B. these views were formed in 2011 & 2013).

I went to a conference at Ha Long Bay at the exhibition centre around 2017 and I gotta say the most spectacular place I ever went for a conference, hotel room overlooking the bay as was the centre, I recall the room was about $80 a night with big space and a bath. Nice couple of bars as you got to the end of the tourist drag. But sure the bay on my trip in 2011 was just too much tourism. Still, Hanoi and HCMC are a couple of cities I went to for weekends from PP and have good memories of them both.
blueman.cambodia
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by blueman.cambodia »

In 2018, the Prime Minister of Vietnam signed off on a 99 year lease agreement on the entire island of Phu Quoc, with a Chinese company backed by the Chinese government. Freehold land titles were extinguished.
oasisbarhatien
Tourist
Vietnam

Post by oasisbarhatien »

with reference to the last poster, I think you will find that although such a proposal was actually made by the CPV, after large scale protest on the streets of Vietnam , and re-consideration of the proposed legislation by the PM and Vietnamese Government, "The act succumbed to pressure and was postponed indefinitely" )Quote from Wikipedia) AFAIK , although it was proposed , it has not yet happened
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

blueman.cambodia wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:13 am In 2018, the Prime Minister of Vietnam signed off on a 99 year lease agreement on the entire island of Phu Quoc, with a Chinese company backed by the Chinese government. Freehold land titles were extinguished.
Utter nonsense...
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:48 am
hanno wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:32 pm Yes, the development leaves a lot to be desired. This monstrosity was built in Sa Pa, where I live. Caused a shit-storm on social media and had to be taken down.

what in the hell is that supposed to be? looks like someone made trump into the statue of liberty. we can be thankful it was taken down.

On a side note sir, where would you recommend Hanno? I like what I see that they have done with Da Laat but maybe also bad? Hoi An I accept is super touristy but I liked it, Hue also was an interesting place a good balance of history and some life. Nha Trang, Mui Ne were garbage. So where is there coastal or other (N.B. these views were formed in 2011 & 2013).

I went to a conference at Ha Long Bay at the exhibition centre around 2017 and I gotta say the most spectacular place I ever went for a conference, hotel room overlooking the bay as was the centre, I recall the room was about $80 a night with big space and a bath. Nice couple of bars as you got to the end of the tourist drag. But sure the bay on my trip in 2011 was just too much tourism. Still, Hanoi and HCMC are a couple of cities I went to for weekends from PP and have good memories of them both.
Hi Angkorjohn,

I do like Da Lat but usually stay outside the town itself. Just avoid it on weekends or holidays; during the last holiday (3oth of April, 1st of May) cars were stuck in traffic for 18 hours. Sort of a quirky town but nice during the week.

I love Hoi An and yes, it gets overrun during holidays or when the lantern festival is on. Pick the right time and it is still well worth a visit. Many a times I have run through town early in the morning and had the place virtually to myself.

Hue is great though it took many years to grow on my. It really has improved a lot in recent years, helped by the fact that the minister for tourism hails from Hue and has managed to divert a lot of money into infrastructure.

I do like the north. Sa Pa itself is a monstrosity but just a few minutes on the bike and you are out of all that shit. Ha Giang province is also great and a place I visit quite frequently.

I am not a big fan of cities but HCMC and Hanoi are always good for a visit to stock up on groceries and there are plenty of excellent restaurants in both cities.

In conclusion, many places have indeed been wrecked but it usually takes just a few minutes to get away from the madness.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic