9/11

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

9/11

Post by phuketrichard »

the day that changed the world for many.
https://cnncreativemarketing.com/project/9-11/

airing live on cnn now

https://www.livenewsnow.com/american/cnn-live.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: 9/11

Post by Big Daikon »

I was living in Queens at the time. Right before I left for my morning classes on 9/11, I turned on the TV news. Funny, I usually didn't watch the news and that one day I saw the planes hitting the first tower. Obviously, didn't make it into Manhattan that day. My GF got stuck in the city for a few hours and then had to walk across the bridge back to our house.

I spent the morning in shock and receiving phone calls from parents and friends.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Plane flew overhead as I was walking into work in the attached World Financial Center. I was still blocks away.

When they collapsed I was covered in the building dust as it traveled quite a bit away from the building to the ferry terminal where I was nearby.

I still have a building pass for the WTC as well, one of my clients was there.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

I was playing pool with my mom in Beijing when the news broke, on the eve of a flight to Mongolia. A couple of days later, we were in Karakorum where we ran into some American tourists. They had garnered that something happened but were lacking the details due to language barriers and no internet. We could only tell them what we had seen and heard a couple of days earlier. At that time, it was still believed that 30,000 people could have perished. They were obviously quite distraught.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

a few dates i will never forget where i was when i heard.
one was 9/11 (strange we leave off the year huh?)
others were
11/22/63
12/26/2004

3 dates changed the world around me
Last edited by phuketrichard on Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I remember seeing this and thinking that was a bit over the top. Not so sure now.

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Had the day off work and was watching the TV whilst prepping some food; recall seeing the first tower on fire, went off to check my food, came back and saw what I thought was a replay from another angle- but was actually live footage of the second plane hitting the second tower. Glued to the TV after that as it all unfolded.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:08 am

When they collapsed I was covered in the building dust as it traveled quite a bit away from the building to the ferry terminal where I was nearby.

That dust was carcinogenic, I have heard horrible stories about cancer in the first responders who survived

I was just finished school and at work in some shithole so I managed not to hear about it at all for 15 hours or more

Didn't know where or what the twin towers were anyhow until I saw the planes on TV crashing into them
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Was just about to head to bed (11pm I think, in Sydney) and flicked through the channels and the first plane had hit and it was a major story, and as we watched the second hit and we realised it was a deliberate act. My flatmate immediately said "it's gotta be Osama bin Laden". I remember the US networks were being soooo careful and, incredibly, continued to say things like "we cannot rule out a major navigational error" even though it was quite obvious no accident.

Stayed up until about 4am waiting to see just how widespread the attacks were.

Turned off my alarm and slept in. Rocked up to work at 10.30am and no-one seemed to notice, so I never bothered ever being on time after that.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

I was at computer college in London I watched it live,I was quite excited to see America getting a taste of its own medicine.
Why is it OK to demolish buildings full of Russians, Vietnamese, and Iraqis but not Americans?.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic