Did you celebrate International Bacon Day ?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Did you celebrate International Bacon Day ?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Damn. I missed out on International Bacon Day. ( Didn't know that there is an official bacon-eating day, but I guess that I can practise for next year. :mrgreen: )
Mark the date.
International Bacon Day or Bacon Day is an unofficial observance where people choose to celebrate by cooking with Bacon. Held on the first Saturday of September each year, Bacon day celebrations typically include social gatherings during which participants create and consume dishes containing bacon, including bacon-themed breakfasts, lunches, dinners, desserts, and drinks.
Bacon Day gatherings may also include the consumption of soy bacon or turkey bacon. [NO !]

Bacon Day was conceived in 2004 by a group of CU Boulder (Colorado) graduate students. Bacon Day in Manchester UK is celebrated by several students on the 14th January, prior to January examinations as a distraction from revision. Bucknell students are also known for their bacon day celebrations, calling themselves “Meatheads”, and gorging on as much bacon as possible.
https://www.awarenessdays.com/awareness ... -day-2021/
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Did you celebrate International Bacon Day ?

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I demand it be renamed Bacon and Eggs Day!
and Pancakes with Strawberries and Fresh Whipped Cream Day tomorrow
and on Wednesday we'll have...

Friday is always Vegemite on Toast Day (the pay envelopes don't come 'til late afternoon)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Bacon Day gatherings may also include the consumption of soy bacon or turkey bacon. [NO !]

Absolutely right.

I'm surprised the woke brigade hasn't got on their high horses with this unconscious racist bias. People excluded from this celebration include, Muslims, Jews, Hindu's and Sihks, because God really hates ham. Absolutely no vegetarians or vegans, so a lot of hostile women are excluded. Plus a sizeable number of black people that don't 'dig on swine' for whatever prejudice they hold against the humble pig.

If it ever catches on it will get 'cancelled'

p.s.

This is bacon, not that streaky fatty rubbish pictured above.

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:30 am unconscious racist bias
Unconscious!!??

Don't sell yourself short, Alf.

:mrgreen:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:30 am

Absolutely right.

I'm surprised the woke brigade hasn't got on their high horses with this unconscious racist bias. People excluded from this celebration include, Muslims, Jews, Hindu's and Sihks, because God really hates ham. Absolutely no vegetarians or vegans, so a lot of hostile women are excluded. Plus a sizeable number of black people that don't 'dig on swine' for whatever prejudice they hold against the humble pig.

If it ever catches on it will get 'cancelled'

p.s.

This is bacon, not that streaky fatty rubbish pictured above.

I was actually thinking along the same lines, and it would not be too much of a surprise if the woke brigade or anti pork eaters get on the case. If, lets say they did, can you imagine what it would do to the great British breakfast, and how would the famous fry-up turn out.
It just doesn't seem the same.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

There's a lot of shit bacon in Cambo

Had a totally underwhelming bacon and egg roll this morning from a popular breakfast cafe for take away

Sadly the bacon and egg roll contained no egg, and the bacon was as sad and dry and flavorless as you could imagine

I got more flavour off the outside of the bread roll where the cook had not cleaned her hands before or during any stage in the preparation, leaving little finger prints of fridge taste, raw meat and residual HP sauce on the equally bland seeded bun

Next time I'll stick to my regular spot
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I bought some bacon for a recipe which needed it to be fried until golden brown.

I opened the packet and found the so-called bacon was about 80% fat. I gently fried 6 rashers in a pan with no additional oil and it stewed in it's own juices until the 6 'rashers' had been reduced to about a tablespoon of actual pork. All the rest was liquified fat.

This was the brand from Thailand that is available everywhere, and it's not cheap. It is complete rubbish.

ask-the-expats-questions-answers/dry-cu ... nom%20penh

I've bumped this thread, Best Bacon in Phnom Penh. Let's see how many have survived and what's out there.
Last edited by Doc67 on Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Better to avoid or limit bacon as it's known to be carcinogenic. Same with other processed meats.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ba ... ancer-risk

Sorry to spoil the party :smileinbox: :plus1:
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:31 am
I opened the packet and found the so-called bacon was about 80% fat. I gently fried 6 rashers in a pan with no additional oil and it stewed in it's own juices until the 6 'rashers' had been reduced to about a tablespoon of actual pork. All the rest was liquified fat.

This was the brand from Thailand that is available everywhere, and it's not cheap. It is complete rubbish.
I've bought probably every brand of (streaky) bacon in Bangkok the past year and a half and they all (but one) turned out as you describe, Doc67. There wouldn't be a certain European country in the name of the Thai meat brand, would there?

I'm the kind of person who cuts fat off everything. When I'm done with some brands, I've binned probably a quarter of the weight of the package. Two days ago I was so disgusted with a kilo of a Pattaya brand, which used to be good years ago, I chucked most of it in the garbage. You'll know how I felt by reading the original thread post in your link. Well, let me paste it here:
I am not talking about the wafer thin strips of anaemic fat that pretend to be bacon which ooze a white scum when cooked.
The exception has been Sloane's Artisan, free range, naturally raised. Expensive, however. 195 baht/US$6 for 200g/less than half a pound. But often very lean and very tasty. Don't know if you can get it there. It's the kind of brand that Villa would sell, which is where I buy it.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:10 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 7:31 am

I've bought probably every brand of (streaky) bacon in Bangkok the past year and a half and they all (but one) turned out as you describe, Doc67. There wouldn't be a certain European country in the name of the Thai meat brand, would there?

I'm the kind of person who cuts fat off everything. When I'm done with some brands, I've binned probably a quarter of the weight of the package. Two days ago I was so disgusted with a kilo of a Pattaya brand, which used to be good years ago, I chucked most of it in the garbage. You'll know how I felt by reading the original thread post in your link. Well, let me paste it here:
I am not talking about the wafer thin strips of anaemic fat that pretend to be bacon which ooze a white scum when cooked.
The exception has been Sloane's Artisan, free range, naturally raised. Expensive, however. 195 baht/US$6 for 200g/less than half a pound. But often very lean and very tasty. Don't know if you can get it there. It's the kind of brand that Villa would sell, which is where I buy it.
US$6 for 200g

$30 a kilo, just to get something that isn't pure rubbish. What a joke.

$7 a kilo in the UK for the real deal.

There's not much I miss about the UK, but one thing is the ability to buy superior food, all in one place and for fraction of the price than Phnom Penh.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic