IS-inspired attacker shot dead after New Zealand supermarket knife rampage

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Re: IS-inspired attacker shot dead after New Zealand supermarket knife rampage

Post by Random Dude »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:40 pm
Random Dude wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:36 pm
tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:14 pm
Random Dude wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:23 pm
Apollo91881 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:12 pm

Or she may just like wearing it. Like my grandma did and plenty of women do.
That picture was from a different incident, nothing at all to do with this. A terrorist had just shot up a couple of mosques in NZ and killed 51 people, she was wearing the hijab (think that's what it's called)when she went to talk to the people for the same reason people take off their shoes when going into a Buddist temple, because respecting cultural protocols is the respectful thing to do.
Did she go to that supermarket to lay flowers, will she visit the families of those affected, will she make a statement condemning radical islam ? I doubt it.
From her press statement just after it happened, clearly condemning the ideology behind it.

"These are people who I would describe as having extremist views that have absolutely no place in New Zealand and, in fact, have no place in the world."

"And secondly, the strongest possible condemnation of the ideology of the people who did this."
Fair enough but all politicians make "cut and paste" statements after these things happen its the least they can do.
So, you were having a whinge because you thought she wasn't going to make a statement, now that she made a statement you're having a whinge because 'all politicians make statements'? Perhaps you just need a cup of tea and a lie down mate. :wink:
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

tightenupvolume1 wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:40 pm
Fair enough but all politicians make "cut and paste" statements after these things happen its the least they can do.
I think perhaps you do not recognise the real thing when you see it right in front of your eyes.

'Totally understandable.
In my observation the term "virtue signalling" almost always comes from citizens of nations that have lost, or are fast loosing, all real values of their own.
They only hear insincere bullshit from their own elected leaders so they can not understand the reigning philosophy of Au and NZ and the sincerity of our leaders when they restate them in times of crisis.

It does't really matter. The old "great western powers" are crumbling and rotting before our eyes.
- Au and NZ just have to keep pathetic, trembling, fear-ridden, victimhood (and schoolboy memes) out of our more nobally inclined lands.

:stir:
just amping it up for entertainment value and to highlight the diff between the Old World and The Future.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

goody goody do gooders should be held to account

Auckland terror attack: Authorities spent years trying to deport terrorist
00:00, Sep 05 2021
1 NEWS
Efforts to plug gaps in terrorism legislation will be sped up, following Friday’s attack in West Auckland.
Immigration authorities tried for years to deport the terrorist who was shot dead after a rampage at an Auckland supermarket, it has been revealed.

They also sought to detain Ahamed Aathill Mohamed Samsudeen while deportation was considered to keep the community safe but were prevented by the law from doing so, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said.

Ardern met with immigration officials just two months ago to express her concern that the man shot dead by police after Auckland’s Isis-inspired terrorist attack was still in New Zealand.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern wasn’t happy Ahamed Aathill Mohamed Samsudeen remained in New Zealand.
The 32-year-old arrived in New Zealand from Sri Lanka on a student visa in 2011 to study a diploma of electronics and telecommunications. He stabbed five people and injured two others in Friday's attack.

“In July this year I met with officials in person and expressed my concern that the law could allow someone to remain here who obtained their immigration status fraudulently and posed a threat to our national security,” Ardern said in the statement.

“I asked for work to be undertaken to look at whether we should amend our law, in the context of our international obligations.”

A total of seven people were injured in the attack at the Countdown in LynnMall, West Auckland.
Samsudeen’s name was revealed on Saturday evening after suppression orders were lifted, although Ardern’s statement didn’t refer to him by name.

The lifting of suppression also allowed the Government to show Immigration NZ had for years tried to deport Samsudeen, or detain him while deportation was considered, “to keep him out of the community”.

In 2012, Immigration NZ declined Samsudeen's claim for refugee status “as it was found to be lacking in credibility”, but he successfully appealed against the decision to the Immigration and Protection Tribunal.

He withdrew from his studies in 2011.

Three years later he came to the attention of police and the NZ Security Intelligence Service.

“In the course of these investigations, Immigration NZ were made aware of information that led them to believe the individual’s refugee status was fraudulently obtained. The process was started to cancel his refugee status, and with it, his right to stay in New Zealand.

“In February 2019, Immigration NZ cancelled his refugee status. He was served with deportation liability notices.

Ahamed Aathill Mohamed Samsudeen arrived in New Zealand in 2011.

Ahamed Aathill Mohamed Samsudeen arrived in New Zealand in 2011.
“In April, he appealed against his deportation to the Immigration and Protection Tribunal. He was still in prison at this time, and facing criminal charges. For a number of reasons, the deportation appeal could not proceed until after the conclusion of the criminal trial in May 2021.

“In the meantime, agencies were concerned about the risk this individual posed to the community. They also knew he may be released from prison, and that his appeal through the tribunal, which was stopping his deportation, may take some time,” Ardern said.

“Immigration NZ explored whether the Immigration Act might allow them to detain the individual while his deportation appeal was heard.

Seven people were injured in the terror attack in Auckland on Friday.

Seven people were injured in the terror attack in Auckland on Friday.
“It was incredibly disappointing and frustrating when legal advice came back to say this wasn’t an option.”

After receiving advice from Crown Law, which said Samsudeen would likely be considered a “protected person” because of the situation in Sri Lanka and his likely treatment if he were returned. Such people cannot be deported and a person can only be detained under the Immigration Act for the purpose of deportation.

Given the Crown Law advice, Immigration NZ decided it could not detain Samsudeen while he waited for his appeal.

Soon after his release from prison, police began their monitoring and surveillance of him.

“On August 26, [an] Immigration and Protection Tribunal hearing was rescheduled. At the time of the terrorist attack, the offender’s attempt to overturn the deportation decision was still ongoing.

“This has been a frustrating process. Since 2018 ministers have been seeking advice on our ability to deport this individual,” Ardern said.

“Ultimately these timelines show that Immigration New Zealand from the beginning have sought to deport this individual, and were right to do so.”
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Some people see goody good do-gooders.
I see a country that believes in the rule of law.

ffs, NZ had never encountered this (very rare) situation before and as soon as they did - they did as much as they possibly could to address the situation in both legal and policing areas.

Shit happens, it's an imperfect world.
Look at that Australian grub who murdered 50 people in the name of White.
What do-gooders are you going to blame for that?

Get used to it snowflakes, paranoics and Secret Police fans - or do you want the Secret Service to write the laws in advance of every conceivable threat, take away freedoms and privacy - and act outside the law??

Hold your nerve and steady the ship, NZ, you are on the right course.
Any panicky lurch to Starboard Right won't land us in Tahiti. I can promise you that my friends.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Sri Lanka is a new one for me. They have had some horrible terrorism within their country, but I can't recall any going overseas to kill.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Big Daikon wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:08 am Sri Lanka is a new one for me. They have had some horrible terrorism within their country, but I can't recall any going overseas to kill.
I thought he was radicalised after arrival?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

violet wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:14 am
Big Daikon wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:08 am Sri Lanka is a new one for me. They have had some horrible terrorism within their country, but I can't recall any going overseas to kill.
I thought he was radicalised after arrival?
Poor wording on my part. Thanks!
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Sri Lankan islamic Terrorism is a "thing".
basic history as i understand it.

The Sri Lankan civil war was basically about everyday rights for the Tamil Indian/Sri Lankan minority (many imported by the British as plantation workers i believe)
The civil war was particularly toxic and it came to a very bitter end. Serious war crimes from both sides.

The extremely nationalistic subsequent Sinhalese governments, spurred on by ranting toxic Buddhist monk activist leaders, have only further "oppressed" the mainly muslim Tamils.
This has allowed classic Saudi Wahhabi islamists to get a real foothold.
So for a relatively few, what was formally about a community's struggle to survive, has become a part of the Saudi Arabia's global jihad.

Australia eg, has long had to keep a very sharp lookout for the few radicals amongst their many fantastic muslim Tamil genuine refugees from Sri Lanka.

(ps, It seems radical nationalist Buddhism is becoming a bit of a "thing". Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand..
The pushback can be dangerous )
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Pictures of Buddhist monks wielding firearms made me think the whole world has gone nuts. I don't feel too wrong about that judgment.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

From the news reports he isn't the only one that is needing 24hr monitoring buy armed police ( when normal police don't carry arms in nz). I do feel frustrated and am not alone when our freedoms hinder law enforcement to protect public from such people, it's a fine line though locking someone up because they may do something.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic