uk passport for new born

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sloth123
Tourist

uk passport for new born

Post by sloth123 »

looking for advice from someone who has been through the process of getting there cambodian born child a passport.

what i know so far is we have to go through vfs but i cant seem to register for a appointment says i have to register my son in the uk first?

im on all his documents ie birth certificates

docs iv been told i need and have:
. birth cert with my name on both sangkat and hospital
.my birth cert and also my mums birth cert
.hospital docs and scans, medical records
. mothers birth cert and id card

is there anything else i need? and also can someone please point me in the right direction how to set up the appointment with vfs or do i need to first register on the uk.gov website?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: uk passport for new born

Post by Username Taken »

@Bubble T would be the one to talk to about that.
sloth123
Tourist

Post by sloth123 »

yea any info would be much appreciated iv tried ringing them and there help line says only open mondays but i dont see how i can book a appointment i live in siem reap so want to try have the documents needed before getting there
Typhoon28
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Typhoon28 »

Its been a few years since I did but I don't think its changed too much. You'll need to first register the birth of an overseas British citizen, this is its own process and quite simple. In addition to what you have mentioned, you'll need a collection of photos with you and your family dating back. I also had to prove that we were in the same country at the time of conception (not birth), visas and flight tickets as we were not in Cambodia at the time. Its a bit of a process, photo copying all pages of your passport etc, but its well worth it in the end.

Sent from my TECNO LD7 using Tapatalk

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I did mine entirely through the uk.gov website nearly 8 years ago - thank God I didn't have to go anywhere near the fuckwits at VFS Global. I think you still can do it entirely online, and if you can, do so.

From memory I first got my son a Cambodian passport - this was easy based on his Khmer birth certifcate, etc. I then sent that via courier to the address uk.gov provides. I'll have a fish through the documents I used when I've got a bit more time tonight, but definitely sort the Cambodian passport & uk.gov registration first.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bong Kri
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bong Kri »

Looked into the process myself recently but haven’t started it yet.

You don’t need to register the birth to get a passport. There are pages on the uk gov website that tells you everything that you need to apply. If you register the birth, it just means that there are less supporting documents needed when you process the passport application.

Everything is online. Follow this link, click the “Start now”, fill in the info for your child and it will tell you exactly what process you need to follow and links to everything.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

I know someone who has been doing the process now and has been waiting 9 months for a decision. He doesn’t know the hold up and has complained numerous tims. He has been waiting to return to the UK and has just tried getting an emergency passport to do so.
sloth123
Tourist

Post by sloth123 »

yea i looked at the gov.uk website to be fair im thinking of not going through vfs and doing it myself seems so hard to get a appointment with them i think ill wait till next week then i might try myself i got a list of everything needed from a guy yesterday whos done it twice seems pretty straight forward just a lot of photocoping and getting docs translated.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The checklist that VFS currently uses includes the following:
Colour copies of every page of mother and father passports (n.b. they will check that mother and father were in the same country at the time of conception)
House lease showing names of mother and father +CC+translation
Photos of the happy couple together before, during and after the pregnancy, all dated.
UK birth certificate of father + CC
Khmer birth certificate of mother +CC +translation
Khmer birth certificate of child +CC+translation
N.B. If any names do not exactly correlate (including spacings) you will need to get that corrected.

Not listed on the checklist but also needed:
Acknowledgement of birth issued by clinic/hospital, signed by the direcror +CC+translation
Clinic obstetric and paediatric reports, ultrasounds, receipts for payments +CC (you can let them have the originals but you may not get them back)

For the paper application you need a countersignatuire by a UK passport holder who is on the approved list of occupations and who has known the father for at least 2 years.
The photo must be of the correct dimensions and the face must be the correct size within the overall photo.
There is a list of PP-based translators but you don't have to use one of them, the translations must be done professionally and be stamped.
A card payment authorisation form needs to be signed, the amount is £88.51.

You send an email to VFS to set up an appointment. Take a friend as you cannot take your phone into VFS.
VFS will check all the docs and give you back your passports and original certificates etc.

That all gets sent off to the UK. They will charge the card and then there will be a wait of 10 weeks (subject to Covid extras).
You will likely get an email asking for further docs at some stage, check your spam box because if you don't reply within the specified time your application will be cancelled. They also may phone you.
You will likely be called for an interview in which you have a chat with a scouser at the passport office. That will be low key unless they have reason to be suspicious.
When the passport arrives, take mother or father passport to identify yourself for collection.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

sloth123 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:20 am yea i looked at the gov.uk website to be fair im thinking of not going through vfs and doing it myself seems so hard to get a appointment with them i think ill wait till next week then i might try myself i got a list of everything needed from a guy yesterday whos done it twice seems pretty straight forward just a lot of photocoping and getting docs translated.
You simply send VFS an email to request an appointment (their email is on the web pages you navigate through). They work Mon-Thur. Don't request until you are fully ready with all the docs. The wait time for the interview will be negligible.

I don't think you can not go through VFS btw.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:55 pm I did mine entirely through the uk.gov website nearly 8 years ago - thank God I didn't have to go anywhere near the fuckwits at VFS Global. I think you still can do it entirely online, and if you can, do so.

From memory I first got my son a Cambodian passport - this was easy based on his Khmer birth certifcate, etc. I then sent that via courier to the address uk.gov provides. I'll have a fish through the documents I used when I've got a bit more time tonight, but definitely sort the Cambodian passport & uk.gov registration first.
You know I hold you in the highest esteem Spigzy but I have to say I have found VFS staff to be very professional and helpful in recent times.
As you will see from my other post, the process for a UK passport application has changed since you did it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic