uk passport for new born

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
sloth123
Tourist

Re: uk passport for new born

Post by sloth123 »

yea i just checked you cant do yourself it does have to be through the vfs global company
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Sorry @armchairlawyer - perhaps I was harsh, but I really struggled to find a single positive in any interaction with VFS aside from the staff. On that I absolutely would agree; I've got to be one of the most patient people I know and even I had a meltdown last time trying to renew my passport there - but the staff I couldn't fault ... but the process, the process those poor ladies had to stick to ... ouch. It's almost as if Dominic Raab himself wrote them.

The reason why I say it could be possible is also for the same reason; reading everywhere that VFS is the ONLY way to renew a British passport, but I managed to renew mine completely online as the gov.uk site is really quite good. So long as the documents hit the right office, I don't think it matters that it was delivered via VFS or other method. I'll go dig through my old documents now, more soon..
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bong Kri
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bong Kri »

sloth123 wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:13 am yea i just checked you cant do yourself it does have to be through the vfs global company
Yeah, it has to be through them and that process. Its the same for a normal passport renewal too.

You also need to check the places that they accept for translations of any Khmer documents as any old place wont do. I have the list saved as a pdf. Pm me your email address and ill send it to you. I dont know how to attach it here.
Crackers
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Crackers »

I recently completed this process for my daughter's passport.

I used the forms from the UK Gov website, and once I had everyting required, I made my appointment at VFS. We received the passport about a year after our initial application - the UK passport office made it clear that there were severe delays during Covid lockdowns.

VFS were excellent and professional - they made the process much easier than it might have been. All said, given the Covid nightmare, it was all fairly straighforward.

Crackers
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

From an old post I wrote guiding someone else who had the same question. This was in 2019 and I haven't checked whether the links still work or if anything has changed:
Passport application is done via VFS. I feel it's really important to point out (due to misinformation I regularly see being spread) it makes no difference if you are legally married. You'll have to provide a copy of your birth certificate, your son's birth certificates (the hospital issued one and the government one), all medical records from the pregnancy and birth, photos of you, the mother and the kid together (they don't want or accept photos of you and the mother prior to the birth, they want photos of all three of you), your parents birth certificate, your wife's passport, her ID, her birth certificate (just the government one is fine), a cover letter, passport photos of the kid and a counter signatory. If you can't provide all of the requested docs, explain why in the cover letter, they are humans and will get in touch. The lady who called me (my wife didn't have a passport to include) was cool and said "you can't provide what you don't have" and talked me through everything. The relevant forms can be found online, I can dig them up for you if you're having trouble finding them. You fill them in, make an appointment with VFS, and hand in the form and all the aforementioned documentation. You also need to make sure all Khmer docs are translated by an approved translation company, and that the company stamps the translations.

When the UK passport office have processed your application and are satisfied with the docs, you will be called back to VFS to do a quick video interview with someone in England from the passport office. This interview is purely to make sure that you are you. They don't ask personal questions about your relationship with the child's mother, they don't ask you to bring proof of anything, they just ask you about your past (where you lived as a child, where you went to school etc) to make sure it matches their records. They also asked a bit about the kid to make sure the info I gave matched the medical records we sent. At the end of the interview they will tell you that they are approving the passport and that you'll get it within a couple of weeks (when it arrives you go back to VFS to collect it)."

Additionally, this is the official table of supporting docs: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _10.16.pdf
And these are the official instructions:https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/ov ... d/cambodia
And this is the actual application form:https://assets.publishing.service.gov. ... rm_010.pdf
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Had a dig around, seems I did indeed do the first passport via VFS, so apologies for suggesting it could be done online - I think a renewal can however as I did my own entirely outside VFS.

For sprog passport #1 I used:
1. Passport application form (gov.uk)
2. Payment instruction form (gov.uk)
3. Scan - National ID of wife
4. A freeform letter explaining why I signed the form instead of my son (he was 2yo, can't sign)
5. Scan - My son's Khmer passport (all pages)
6. Scan - My passport (all pages)
7. Scan - Wife's passport (all pages)
8. Scan - Son's birth certificate
9. Scan - My birth certificate
10. Scan - Wife's' birth certificate
11. Scan - Marriage certificate
12. Scan - Hospital antenatal records (yeah, really ... I got an email back from passport office insisting this was inclded; luckily I had it ..)
13. Scan - Copy of house rental agreement
14. Photos of my son from birth-to-(application)-date with me/wife

Good luck!
EnglishPassport
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by EnglishPassport »

:thumb:
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:47 am The checklist that VFS currently uses includes the following:
Colour copies of every page of mother and father passports (n.b. they will check that mother and father were in the same country at the time of conception)
House lease showing names of mother and father +CC+translation
Photos of the happy couple together before, during and after the pregnancy, all dated.
UK birth certificate of father + CC
Khmer birth certificate of mother +CC +translation
Khmer birth certificate of child +CC+translation
N.B. If any names do not exactly correlate (including spacings) you will need to get that corrected.

Not listed on the checklist but also needed:
Acknowledgement of birth issued by clinic/hospital, signed by the direcror +CC+translation
Clinic obstetric and paediatric reports, ultrasounds, receipts for payments +CC (you can let them have the originals but you may not get them back)

For the paper application you need a countersignatuire by a UK passport holder who is on the approved list of occupations and who has known the father for at least 2 years.
The photo must be of the correct dimensions and the face must be the correct size within the overall photo.
There is a list of PP-based translators but you don't have to use one of them, the translations must be done professionally and be stamped.
A card payment authorisation form needs to be signed, the amount is £88.51.

You send an email to VFS to set up an appointment. Take a friend as you cannot take your phone into VFS.
VFS will check all the docs and give you back your passports and original certificates etc.

That all gets sent off to the UK. They will charge the card and then there will be a wait of 10 weeks (subject to Covid extras).
You will likely get an email asking for further docs at some stage, check your spam box because if you don't reply within the specified time your application will be cancelled. They also may phone you.
You will likely be called for an interview in which you have a chat with a scouser at the passport office. That will be low key unless they have reason to be suspicious.
When the passport arrives, take mother or father passport to identify yourself for collection.
Hi there can you contact me on my telegram. I saw your post about getting British passport for a child. My baby’s daddy and I both not having a clue who to hire for translation and all that. My number +8558510307
If you are able to help I will be sure to send a gift your way many thanks 😊
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

EnglishPassport wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:32 am :thumb:
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:47 am The checklist that VFS currently uses includes the following:
Colour copies of every page of mother and father passports (n.b. they will check that mother and father were in the same country at the time of conception)
Photos of the happy couple together before, during and after the pregnancy, all dated.
N.B. If any names do not exactly correlate (including spacings) you will need to get that corrected.

Acknowledgement of birth issued by clinic/hospital, signed by the direcror +CC+translation
Clinic obstetric and paediatric reports, ultrasounds, receipts for payments +CC (you can let them have the originals but you may not get them back)

For the paper application you need a countersignatuire by a UK passport holder who is on the approved list of occupations and who has known the father for at least 2 years.
The photo must be of the correct dimensions and the face must be the correct size within the overall photo.
There is a list of PP-based translators but you don't have to use one of them, the translations must be done professionally and be stamped.

You send an email to VFS to set up an appointment. Take a friend as you cannot take your phone into VFS.
VFS will check all the docs and give you back your passports and original certificates etc.

That all gets sent off to the UK. They will charge the card and then there will be a wait of 10 weeks (subject to Covid extras).
You will likely get an email asking for further docs at some stage, check your spam box because if you don't reply within the specified time your application will be cancelled. They also may phone you.
You will likely be called for an interview in which you have a chat with a scouser at the passport office. That will be low key unless they have reason to be suspicious.
When the passport arrives, take mother or father passport to identify yourself for collection.
Hi there can you contact me on my telegram. I saw your post about getting British passport for a child. My baby’s daddy and I both not having a clue who to hire for translation and all that. My number +8558510307
I prefer to simply reply here. You can use anyone with a stamp for translation - $10 per page is a reasonable fee (more if a lot of writing on the page). I have used a shop on 110 between 19 and Norodom. Yellow frontage, double frontage, south side.

Update to the above - certain non-UK passport holders can now be the counter-signatory, eg USA.
You can now take your phone into VFS but nothing else electronic.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

There's a thing on the internet called "Google". If you type something like "translation services Phnom Penh" it will help you. Where do I get my gift from?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Pyramid are the guys I used sinice being here, no idea if they are still running. But was down by Phnom Penh Centre, near Naga.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic