Recent pics of flooding in Phnom Penh 2021

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Recent pics of flooding in PP 2021

Post by John Bingham »

I agree that a view of plants and trees is best. Meanwhile I am stuck instead in the concrete jungle. 8) :?

Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:48 pm
Kammekor wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:05 pm
John Bingham wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:18 pm Image
Shocking what an incredible ugly mess parts of Phnom Penh still are..... Word shanty town comes to mind.
It's Prampi Makara District, it looks quite messy from above because of all the rooftop slums and adhoc extensions. It looks much like any normal inner city area from ground level.
JB must be a bloated capitalist or aristo.
He can see the sky.
I only have a thin strip of it directly overhead.
Ha! I wish! I don't live there, I live down where the black clouds are. I have a lot of sky view at home though because I live on a corner and have a huge empty roof. The view is gradually disappearing over the years though. When I moved here the building was one of the highest in the neighborhood but a lot has sprung up since.
I find it interesting when there are posts like this, adds a bit of information too the areas where we maybe living or don't know things about.
Just looking came up with this on the area -
Prampir Makara (Khmer: ប្រាំពីរមករា, lit. 'Seventh of January') is the smallest district in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. The district is subdivided into 8 sangkats and 33 kroms. The district has an area of 2.21 km2 (0.85 sq mi). It has a population of 71,092.[1] It is the smallest district by land area but is the most densely populated district in Phnom Penh.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khan_Prampir_Makara
Always "hope" but never "expect".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It also has important facilities like the Prime Minister's Office, the Council of Ministers and the HQ of the Ministry of Defense. These are all along Russian Federation Boulevard. Otherwise O'Russei market and Olympic Stadium are also within its bounds. It is quite crammed in in some parts, there are loads of freaky looking alleyways around there. I often wander down them in daytime but at night I'd be creeped out. There's a bit of a Kowloon city vibe, but it's not as anarchic at all.

Silence, exile, and cunning.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:57 am It also has important facilities like the Prime Minister's Office, the Council of Ministers and the HQ of the Ministry of Defense. These are all along Russian Federation Boulevard. Otherwise O'Russei market and Olympic Stadium are also within its bounds. It is quite crammed in in some parts, there are loads of freaky looking alleyways around there. I often wander down them in daytime but at night I'd be creeped out. There's a bit of a Kowloon city vibe, but it's not as anarchic at all.

Thank you for this photo @JB but where is this today? I cannot identify the new buildings but this looks to be on the road and area over the old lake bed heading into Toul Kork. Correct? I'd be interested to see this older city block in its current state.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

The photo is of Kowloon ... which was in Hong Kong and no longer exists.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

@Ira, ok well thx fir being nice about it, I don't recall that kind of density anywhere here but I don't see these aerial shots much either. I was thinking yeah, there's the sand they dredged up there and there must be an old city block of Toul Kork I never noticed was so dense. From my limited Kowloon times spent waiting around for another China visa around Chunking Mansion I can't place this block in Kowloon either, it looks like something out of the movie, "DUNE".
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

bossho wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:47 am @Ira, ok well thx fir being nice about it, I don't recall that kind of density anywhere here but I don't see these aerial shots much either. I was thinking yeah, there's the sand they dredged up there and there must be an old city block of Toul Kork I never noticed was so dense. From my limited Kowloon times spent waiting around for another China visa around Chunking Mansion I can't place this block in Kowloon either, it looks like something out of the movie, "DUNE".
It all got bulldozed around 20 years ago and without googling I think it was something about British colonial rule that never managed to control the area so they walled it off and left it to it's own devices and vices.

The photo JB posted is pretty recognizable as it is the one most people use when referencing Kowloon.

Looking at the photo though I can see why people might mistake it for Phnom Penh or even SV with those new tower blocks sitting behind Kowloon.
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

bossho wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:24 am
John Bingham wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:57 am It also has important facilities like the Prime Minister's Office, the Council of Ministers and the HQ of the Ministry of Defense. These are all along Russian Federation Boulevard. Otherwise O'Russei market and Olympic Stadium are also within its bounds. It is quite crammed in in some parts, there are loads of freaky looking alleyways around there. I often wander down them in daytime but at night I'd be creeped out. There's a bit of a Kowloon city vibe, but it's not as anarchic at all.

Thank you for this photo @JB but where is this today? I cannot identify the new buildings but this looks to be on the road and area over the old lake bed heading into Toul Kork. Correct? I'd be interested to see this older city block in its current state.
It was a stone's throw from the old Kai Tak Airport, so no where near Chungking Mansion. It was a den of illegal immigrants, prostitution, drug trafficking and triad stronghold. Police did not ever want to enter and so there was a warlord feel to the place.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Recent pics of flooding in Phnom Penh 2021

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

21 mins ago - BREAKING NEWS
Bridge construction caused flooding under Choam Chao flyover

Flooding at Choam Chao flyover subway after heavy rain. CNC

The Phnom Penh Public Works and Transport Department says that the flooding under the Choam Chao flyover will not happen again when the bridge is completed.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50928943/b ... o-flyover/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Recent pics of flooding in Phnom Penh 2021

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Roads Closed
Cambodia News, Phnom Penh: Phnom Penh Capital Administration Official says that in order to prevent flooding on National Road 4 in front of the Khmer Rouge Tribunal, on September 4, 2021, the team of the Department of Public Works and Transport of Phnom Penh, in cooperation with the administration of Po Sen Chey district, have excavated Cheko Road and Royal Phnom Penh Golf Road to open a large waterway to Boeung Kob Srov. The road will be closed for one month during the works.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic