Weight Loss

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Weight Loss

Post by rozzieoz »

I'm starting a positive thread about weight loss.

I am down 35kg, from 110, to 75.

I was heading for a heart attack, diabetes, and all sorts of other nasty side effects of eating too much sugar and shit.

Then I found out I was gluten intolerant and that changed everything.

No more wheat, barley or rye flour so no cakes, bread, pizza, pasta, biscuits and pastries etc etc.
Not to mention the hidden gluten in things like soy sauce.

Gluten intolerance is not just about an upset tummy, it causes tremendous aches and pains - some days I couldn't walk the soles of my feet were so sore. I was waking up feeling so old and achey, I thought I had developed arthritis.

Now things are completely different - eliminating gluten and sugar has restored my body to a 'no pain' level, while the weight loss has resulted in no back pain, despite working at the computer 14-16 hours each day.

I am actually able to go to the night market and buy clothes off the shelf, whereas before I had to purchase fabric and get someone to make my clothes. :)
Last edited by rozzieoz on Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Nasty Little Bully

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Congrats on the weight loss, how did you do it?

I lost considerable weight over a year ago bike riding and calorie counting. Just staying in “normal” BMI range

Ignore the troll, they’re loving this attention.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:52 am Congrats on the weight loss, how did you do it?

I lost considerable weight over a year ago bike riding and calorie counting. Just staying in “normal” BMI range

Ignore the troll, they’re loving this attention.
Yeah .. delete the thread and do one on weight loss.
Starve the troll by ignoring him/her (yeah could be a her)

Women are far more likely to partake in character destruction and petty sniping/gossip than men.
Men fight it out.
Women bitch about shit

So... delete this thread and post about weight loss
My mother has gradually lost all her excess weight since she's been here and is way better for it.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

That's a really great idea :)

TOPIC CHANGED !
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Weight Loss

Post by Username Taken »

I noticed this on YT last night. Might be of relevance.

What Happens If You Stop Eating Bread for 14 Days

From the video description:

Here are a few things in bread that are damaging to your health:
• Gluten
• Sugar
• Starch
• Conditioners
• Mold killers
• Phytates
• Glyphosate

What would happen if you cut out bread for 14 days:
1. Decreased bloating
2. Increased zinc, calcium, and iron
3. Your head will feel better (decreased brain fog, decreased headaches, better memory, and better attention)
4. Better mood (decreased anxiety and depression)
5. Decreased pain and inflammation
6. Increased weight loss and decreased belly fat (decreased insulin)
7. Increased energy
8. Fewer symptoms of diabetes (decreased A1C after 3 months of cutting out bread)
9. Decreased LDL and decreased oxidation in the arteries
10. Increased vitamin E and B vitamins
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cut out carbs, ( rice, bread, soft drinks, cereals, milk, pasta, sugar)
eat more meat, seafood, chicken, eggs, pork

works for me, although hard to cut the rice when living with a Cambodian family that eats it twice/day
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

My mother has reduced her weight by 20kg (3 stone in old school uk weights) in the 20 months she has been living here.
On discussing it for this thread she puts it down to more of a change of habits and life-style than anything else.

Out went fresh cream cakes, chocolate, sweets, a sedate life-style of your average septuagenarian (village hall committee + bingo twice a week) and aside from gardening, which has huge seasonal variations, she didn’t “do” much.

Here she is “Nana” to her 2 grandkids which is ironic as she is fulfilling the origins of the word by being the children’s Nanny and full time caregiver. So, she is far more active now and feels a lot fitter. Also, her “dodgy knee” has been much less of an issue and she is now having trouble trying to recall when it last played up.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:38 am I'm starting a positive thread about weight loss.
some days I couldn't walk the soles of my feet were so sore. I was waking up feeling so old and achey, I thought I had developed arthritis.)
Holy smoaks !
I was wondering and didn’t even know how to word it to ask google
I always heard old people say ‘ my feet are killing me ‘
Some days I can’t walk ( because of gout ) , but everyday my feet hurt ,
and i can’t even step on a piece of rice or it feels like pain of walking on gravel .
I always just thought🤦🏾🤷🏾‍♂️ it was punishment from being all beered up everyday .
Could it be from bread ? We never eat rice but can’t cut out bread , or beer .
Is there a test , how do you find out why ones feet are overly sensitive ?
I hope I’m not intolerant !

I know i am overweight but I am at the age I can wear stretchy pants .
Anyway I used to blame god , but these days I blame china for any and all my problems
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

This is a great thread. Lets keep it positive and on topic. The problem for a lot of us in our 50's concerning weightloss is WILLPOWER or lack of it. I understand which foods I consume are unhealthy, the issue is stopping stuffing them in my mouth. I need MIND techniques.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

The other thing that is linked to gluten intolerance, is IBS.
I actually think this is my issue, not just gluten.

I used to be someone that could and would eat anything and now I am one of those asshole "picky eaters" who can't eat sooooo many things.

I've almost cut out dairy and spicy foods as well.

I didn't change my diet to lost, I wanted to feel better.
I was getting more depressed and anxious as the weeks went on, and of course comforted myself with a nice big cake, or some other shit. When I read about gluten intolerance / IBS, so many pieces fitted.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to cut out wheat flour for a week. I'm so grateful I did!

I also moved to an apartment with 80 stairs and make a point of going down and up at least 3 or 4 times a day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic