Weight Loss

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Weight Loss

Post by Anchor Moy »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 pm I'm a skinny prick but I have a bit of a belly from drinking beer. Not willing to give up beer but thought I might try giving up rice, which I've been eating twice a day for ages. But I need something filling to replace it with, otherwise I get terrible headaches/early hangover effects from just a few beers. Google suggests quinoa (I wouldn't know quinoa if I fell over it) but cauliflower also came up so I'm going to try that. I don't want to lose weight, just the pudgy belly. I'm not giving up beer.

Open to suggestions.
I love beans. :OD:
Beans - butter beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, lentils etc. Full of calories, but full of protein and good for you. If you replace white rice with beans for a couple of meals then you'll be full but it's better for you.
Attention - this is a suggestion for skinny Timmy, not for people who want to lose weight. However, if you replace beans with meat (in a vegetarian curry or chilli dish) then it's all good I reckon. I really like them in salads too.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:41 am
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 pm I'm a skinny prick but I have a bit of a belly from drinking beer. Not willing to give up beer but thought I might try giving up rice, which I've been eating twice a day for ages. But I need something filling to replace it with, otherwise I get terrible headaches/early hangover effects from just a few beers. Google suggests quinoa (I wouldn't know quinoa if I fell over it) but cauliflower also came up so I'm going to try that. I don't want to lose weight, just the pudgy belly. I'm not giving up beer.

Open to suggestions.
I love beans. :OD:
Beans - butter beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, chickpeas, lentils etc. Full of calories, but full of protein and good for you. If you replace white rice with beans for a couple of meals then you'll be full but it's better for you.
Attention - this is a suggestion for skinny Timmy, not for people who want to lose weight. However, if you replace beans with meat (in a vegetarian curry or chilli dish) then it's all good I reckon. I really like them in salads too.
Beans have lately seemed too have gone up in price, cheapest small tin now $1
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

I followed the keto diet for a little while to cut off some excess fat especially important to cut out complex carbs like rice and potatos for awhile. Cut beer and switched to vodka bc it has 0 carbs. after a week i lost 5 lbs us now around 66kg.

Speaking of weight loss, when i moved from NYC to Thailand my weight went from about 165 us lbs to around 140 and for a moment i thought the scale i was using in Thailand was broken. I have no idea what caused the shocking weight loss. Then when i switched to Cambodia i gained some of the 25 lbs back, now im around 145. As a male that puts my body fat percentage at 7 to 10%. Normally i do at least 10 miles cycling every day with some 20 plus.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

7% is basically bodybuilding show ready... But if you cycle 15km/day could be possible. You'd still have abs popping out at 7-10% (not jist slightly protruding). 145lbs is very light, so I'm guessing you're 5'6"-5'9" max?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:34 am Beans have lately seemed too have gone up in price, cheapest small tin now $1
Console yourself with the uplifting thought that you're actually enjoying French cuisine !
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayam_Brand

Doesn't it seems rather affordable now ?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:05 pm
Cambo Dear wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:45 pm Uhm, aren't bitch tits just a by-product of being fat? I know virtual teetotalers with chesticles, caused in the main by chocolate. For sure beer can give you a belly but to say it makes you less of a man is borderline blasphemy!
Moobs = man boobs

I think a significant group of men are severely deficient in testosterone once they begin to approach the end of their youth; 35-45 is the time when a lot of males grow titties, paunch out in the belly, lose sex drive, their muscles turn to fat, they get depressed and by turn cranky. And some other men for one reason or another NEVER make enough test to begin with and all the above happens to them sooner.

Men, in my own non-expert opinion, should check their test levels once every year or two after they hit late thirties and if found to be low some people can improve it through dietary and exercise improvements and others will require test supplements
Muscle doesn't turn into fat. It's like saying my steak just turned into butter. Muscle atrophies without usage and with age. Use them or lose them.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I've heard drinking beer helps you loose weight
Spoiler:
hey it's Saturday
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I put on a few kg when Oscar's was closed and I couldn't go dancing every night.
Between getting back to dancing and having Covid, I am back down to 75 :)

Apparently my goal weight is 68, but I'll be happy if I don't lose anymore.
I think this year I need to get into some muscle toning to tighten up some of the floppy bits.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:48 pm I put on a few kg when Oscar's was closed and I couldn't go dancing every night.
Between getting back to dancing and having Covid, I am back down to 75 :)

Bikini pics please. :whip:
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

As usual, I'll certainly lose some weight over the holidays. No feasting, 16+ hour days, shitloads of work. But the weekend after NYE will be an eat and drink as much as I can affair.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic