Weight Loss

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Weight Loss

Post by timmydownawell »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:56 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 pm I'm a skinny prick but I have a bit of a belly from drinking beer. Not willing to give up beer but thought I might try giving up rice, which I've been eating twice a day for ages. But I need something filling to replace it with, otherwise I get terrible headaches/early hangover effects from just a few beers. Google suggests quinoa (I wouldn't know quinoa if I fell over it) but cauliflower also came up so I'm going to try that. I don't want to lose weight, just the pudgy belly. I'm not giving up beer.

Open to suggestions.
I'm not in a too dissimilar situation to you plus I suspect I'm older.

As you know, beer (and wine) has quite a bit of sugar. And sugar is the enemy. Also, too many carbs (rice, bread, pasta) and your body converts it to sugar.

What I found helps for me, given I don't want to give up beer/wine (plus I don't have a sweet tooth), is cut out sugar and carbs as much as I can. So, no sugar in coffee and tea (you'll get used to it), no sugary drinks and fruit juices, minimal fruit, more vegetables to replace carbs (cabbage is good BTW), avoid yoghurts unless they're completely natural with no additives, avoid deep fried foods, avoid processed foods, avoid processed meats (ie sausages, salami, bacon, ham et al).
Fortunately I'm not a sweet tooth either. Not sure I need to give up a teaspoon of sugar once/twice a day in my coffee? Yeah looks like cauliflower and cabbage are the go. I don't usually do sausages/salami etc (admittedly that's mainly a budget issue there). I suppose I could switch from beer to vodka if I use a sugar-free mixer. I think rice and beer are my main enemies. And @The Judge let's not go crazy. That'a an absolute last resort.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

good refernce for a low carb diet
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/14 ... n-low-carb

I found my BP has been high so dash diet helped
https://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high ... ash-diet#1

Keto diet
Meats are perfect for keto. You can have beef, pork, lamb, wild game, and poultry of all kinds. Soy products like tofu and tempeh also work. You can also have deli meats like sausages and cold cuts. Choose items with no added sugars, starches, or breading to keep your carbs low.
Enjoy unlimited non-starchy vegetables such as leafy greens and crunchy salad veggies such as cucumber, celery, and radishes. Other favorites include cauliflower, cabbage, avocado, broccoli, and zucchini. Fresh or frozen, most vegetables that grow above-ground are keto-friendly. You can even eat a vegetarian keto diet.

Cheese, butter, and cream can all be part of a keto diet. Greek yogurt in particular, makes for a protein-rich breakfast with few carbs. Avoid flavored low-fat yogurt that is often full of added sugar.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/foods

FYI:
i had zero problem with my weight with my lifestyle and eating whatever i wanted, when ever ( never ate breakfast, only coffee)
TILL i hit around 62, than even though i was eating less, i was not burning the fats as before and the weight started creeping up
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 pm I'm a skinny prick but I have a bit of a belly from drinking beer. Not willing to give up beer but thought I might try giving up rice, which I've been eating twice a day for ages. But I need something filling to replace it with, otherwise I get terrible headaches/early hangover effects from just a few beers. Google suggests quinoa (I wouldn't know quinoa if I fell over it) but cauliflower also came up so I'm going to try that. I don't want to lose weight, just the pudgy belly. I'm not giving up beer.

Open to suggestions.
Want to lose your little beer belly and reveal your true "skinny prick" inner self?
Tried diets and all failed?
Don't want to give up the beer?

All your dreams can come true in 24 hours...
Spoiler:
Liposuction!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Fool proof weight loss, made simple.

Male >2000 calories a day.
Female > 1750 calories a day.

You will need digital weighing scales and an app called MyNetDiary where most food and it's calorific value is already logged and the calories. Once you see what food types are good and bad, calorie wise, you quickly learn to make good judgements almost on instinct.

I did it last year during my UK lockdown and lost 30lbs/14kg in 14 weeks. (The first 20 just fell off, the last 10 pounds took half the time)

https://www.mynetdiary.com/
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Despite fad diets and fad-exercise regimes, eating less and exercising more is really all there is to it. Anything else is just a distraction. Trouble is, getting into the habit of exercising more and not eating too much is often difficult to do and people quit after a relatively short time.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

There is a limit to healthy and limited carbs for me.

Last week missus made me a bento box for lunch. Inside were fish balls, steamed cabbage, carrots, boiled eggs. No meat. No fatty oils. I struggled to finish half, and then went starving the rest of the day.

My body needs meat and oil to work.

I will be G’Mab always. Just slimmer over time.
cambo swa
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cambo swa »

Cambo Dear wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:06 pm Despite fad diets and fad-exercise regimes, eating less and exercising more is really all there is to it. Anything else is just a distraction. Trouble is, getting into the habit of exercising more and not eating too much is often difficult to do and people quit after a relatively short time.
Yes, exactly. There is no way to avoid the simple calculation of calories in versus calories out (exercise). Except for liposuction (it is even available in PP?).

One of the reason men find that beer drinking weight gain is primarily located around the abdomen and man boobs is because high use of alcohol significantly lowers a man's level of testosterone and the hops used in beer contain phytoestrogens. You hormones are not so manly anymore.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Uhm, aren't bitch tits just a by-product of being fat? I know virtual teetotalers with chesticles, caused in the main by chocolate. For sure beer can give you a belly but to say it makes you less of a man is borderline blasphemy!
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Gynecomastia, or "bitch tits" affects body builders due to the use of steroids too. I had forgotten the medical term but coloquial term is very hard to forget tbh
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Cambo Dear wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 12:45 pm Uhm, aren't bitch tits just a by-product of being fat? I know virtual teetotalers with chesticles, caused in the main by chocolate. For sure beer can give you a belly but to say it makes you less of a man is borderline blasphemy!
Moobs = man boobs

I think a significant group of men are severely deficient in testosterone once they begin to approach the end of their youth; 35-45 is the time when a lot of males grow titties, paunch out in the belly, lose sex drive, their muscles turn to fat, they get depressed and by turn cranky. And some other men for one reason or another NEVER make enough test to begin with and all the above happens to them sooner.

Men, in my own non-expert opinion, should check their test levels once every year or two after they hit late thirties and if found to be low some people can improve it through dietary and exercise improvements and others will require test supplements
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic