Weight Loss

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Weight Loss

Post by Chad Sexington »

For what it’s worth, I’d like to share my weight loss (diet?) experience.
I came to live in Cambodia 2 years ago weighing around 105kg.
My weight had been steady around 103-107kg for many years despite regular exercise including amongst other things, walking a minimum of 5 km every day and working out at the gym 3 times a week. Admittedly I’ve always had a big appetite and my eating habits were (still are) reckless? insofar as I eat what I like, sweets, chocolate, red meat, pastry/white bread, cheese etc. in large portions, and snacking whenever I feel like it. I rarely drink alcohol, but drink a lot of soft drinks (sprite etc.)
On arrival here in the start of the high season, I got stuck into several projects such as extending the house, erecting fences and gates, building chicken coops etc.
This was all quite demanding work due to the temperature and long hours due to the desire to get jobs completed ASAP.
I soon found that my appetite had greatly reduced, I was skipping breakfast altogether, skipping or having something light for lunch, eating my one main meal of the day, early in the evening, and my snacking “habit” disappeared completely. Surprisingly (to me) my energy levels remained very high (possibly helped by the sugary drinks I couldn’t go without)
To cut along story short(ish) I dropped from 105kg to 87kg in eight weeks, without really having to try, eating what I felt like eating, and with no ill effects. A couple of kilos crept back on during low season (too much idle time leading to snacking out of boredom) but I’m consistently under 90kg.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Not every diet works on everyone, contrary fast weight loss results in fast weight gain if you give up. As my grandpa said, you"ll have to leave the table before you are full, moderation is mother of all wisdoms. Just cut sugar, carbs, dont eat carbs and proteins in the same meal and exercise regularly and you can easy put down 2-3kg a month. Just be patient.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Coffee break
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fyi:
looking to lose weight also look at eating in a 7 hour window only
Lunch at 11, dinner at 6
and try an give yourself at least 2, ( better 3) hours before u go to sleep after ur last meal
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I'm a skinny prick but I have a bit of a belly from drinking beer. Not willing to give up beer but thought I might try giving up rice, which I've been eating twice a day for ages. But I need something filling to replace it with, otherwise I get terrible headaches/early hangover effects from just a few beers. Google suggests quinoa (I wouldn't know quinoa if I fell over it) but cauliflower also came up so I'm going to try that. I don't want to lose weight, just the pudgy belly. I'm not giving up beer.

Open to suggestions.
Last edited by timmydownawell on Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

The reality is there are many ways to change your diet in order to achieve weightloss.
Various ways of achieving weight loss get demonised as new popular ways gather pace.

The key is to find the method that works for you and is sustainable.

To write off methods because others have become popular is lacking understanding.

I have seen people in the younger generations who have no idea that weightloss is linked to calorie/kJ intake and genuinely believe the only way to lose weight is to reduce carbs. It simply is not true.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 pm I'm a skinny prick but I have a bit of a belly from drinking beer. Not willing to give up beer but thought I might try giving up rice, which I've been eating twice a day for ages. But I need something filling to replace it with, otherwise I get terrible headaches/early hangover effects from just a few beers. Google suggests quinoa (I wouldn't know quinoa if I fell over it) but cauliflower also came up so I'm going to try that. I don't want to lose weight, just the pudgy belly. I'm not giving up beer.

Open to suggestions.
What about fitness training?
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:27 pm fyi:
Lunch at 11, dinner at 6
and try an give yourself at least 2, ( better 3) hours before u go to sleep after ur last meal
No breakfast?? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It jump starts the metabolism.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:01 pm I'm a skinny prick but I have a bit of a belly from drinking beer. Not willing to give up beer but thought I might try giving up rice, which I've been eating twice a day for ages. But I need something filling to replace it with, otherwise I get terrible headaches/early hangover effects from just a few beers. Google suggests quinoa (I wouldn't know quinoa if I fell over it) but cauliflower also came up so I'm going to try that. I don't want to lose weight, just the pudgy belly. I'm not giving up beer.

Open to suggestions.
I'm not in a too dissimilar situation to you plus I suspect I'm older.

As you know, beer (and wine) has quite a bit of sugar. And sugar is the enemy. Also, too many carbs (rice, bread, pasta) and your body converts it to sugar.

What I found helps for me, given I don't want to give up beer/wine (plus I don't have a sweet tooth), is cut out sugar and carbs as much as I can. So, no sugar in coffee and tea (you'll get used to it), no sugary drinks and fruit juices, minimal fruit, more vegetables to replace carbs (cabbage is good BTW), avoid yoghurts unless they're completely natural with no additives, avoid deep fried foods, avoid processed foods, avoid processed meats (ie sausages, salami, bacon, ham et al).
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The Judge wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:24 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:27 pm fyi:
Lunch at 11, dinner at 6
No breakfast?? Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It jump starts the metabolism.
They say that but I find myself doing the same as PR in Cambodia.

In a previous, pre-covid life, whenever I was in Australia I would have 3 meals a day, then, upon return to Cambodia always revert back to 2 meals a day.

I dunno why really..maybe the heat. Certainly, I need coffee to kick start in the morning here tho.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic