Afghanistan, from a British perspective.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Afghanistan, from a British perspective.

Post by Clutch Cargo »

When I first saw the heading for topic, I wondered what time period? 8)

British nationals prepare to board an aircraft at Sherpur aerodrome during the Kabul Airlift, amid the Afghan Civil War (winter of 1928-1929).
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

bong.kuit wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:01 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:10 pm
[ignorant drivel]
:shock: :D :lol:

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." (some guy that wrote books)
I'd argue that the problem with the world is that we look at the wrong qualities in our leaders, whether we choose those leaders ourselves or they are forced upon us. We like tough leaders who will stand up for our own interests and protect us from those nasty foreigners who are forever trying to destroy us. Leaders who are prepared to send in the military at a moments notice as soon as anyone even remotely resembles a threat. Someone who can not only talk the talk but walk the walk. It's why Putin loves to be seen shirtless on the back of a horse and why Trump uses phrases like 'Rocket Man' when referring to the leader of a nuclear state.

This is fine to an extent, but when the leader of every country feels they have to act like this, it's the stuff that can, and does, lead to wars. I have always believed that the overwhelming majority of the global population, by far, no matter what the culture or what the religion, have absolutely no interest in conflict whatsoever. They don't care for war. They don't want to be thought of a threat to other nations and similarly, don't want other nations to threaten them. They are generally peaceful people who simply want the chance to do a days work to earn money to provide for themselves and their family, and live their lives in peace. It is only the very small percentage of people who thrive on conflict and the "We're better than you - don't mess with us" mentality, yet it's these that our leaders pander to.

This might all seem a bit John Lennon esq, "You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" etc... but I honestly believe that, in the same way it wouldn't be acceptable for a leader to be openly racist, openly homophobic or an open misogynist, humanity will also start to view people who war-monger as unacceptable, and only those who vow to do everything they can to keep the peace will be viewed as acceptable to lead.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Oh dear, time to move from US to UK bashing :stir:

The UK government worked hard to get 173 rescue cats and dogs out of Afghanistan but critics are asking why animals were priortized

The British Government intervened to support Paul ‘Pen’ Farthing and his 173 rescue animals’ journey from Afghanistan to the UK.

Farthing, a former Royal Marine, founder of the Nowzad animal care charity in Kabul, is now poised to leave Afghanistan with his animals.

Confirming the news on Twitter, the UK Ministry of Defence stated that British armed forced had assisted Farthing and his animals through Kabul airport, with a charter flight awaiting them that had been sponsored by the British Government.

The Telegraph reported that Ben Wallace, the UK Defence Secretary, told MPs that the mission to rescue the animals – and the attention it was receiving – was taking away resources from evacuating vulnerable people.

Wallace also used Twitter to hit back at Farthing’s supporters and condemned “bullying, falsehoods and threatening behavior” towards MoD staff saying that such views were “unacceptable.”

Tom Tugendhat, a Member of Parliament and a former army officer who served in Afghanistan, said on LBC Radio: “The difficulty is getting people into and out of the airport and we’ve just used a lot of troops to get in 200 dogs. Meanwhile, my interpreter’s family are likely to be killed.”

Full: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/afgh ... ied-2021-8
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

The crux of this sort of problem seems to lie here:

"Humans (Homo sapiens) are the most abundant and widespread species of primates, characterized by bipedality and large, complex brains enabling the development of advanced tools, culture and language. Humans are highly social beings and tend to live in complex social structures composed of many cooperating and competing groups, from families and kinship networks to political states."

In other words, humans always be doing some shit.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:22 pm Oh dear, time to move from US to UK bashing :stir:

The UK government worked hard to get 173 rescue cats and dogs out of Afghanistan but critics are asking why animals were priortized

The British Government intervened to support Paul ‘Pen’ Farthing and his 173 rescue animals’ journey from Afghanistan to the UK.

Farthing, a former Royal Marine, founder of the Nowzad animal care charity in Kabul, is now poised to leave Afghanistan with his animals.

Confirming the news on Twitter, the UK Ministry of Defence stated that British armed forced had assisted Farthing and his animals through Kabul airport, with a charter flight awaiting them that had been sponsored by the British Government.

The Telegraph reported that Ben Wallace, the UK Defence Secretary, told MPs that the mission to rescue the animals – and the attention it was receiving – was taking away resources from evacuating vulnerable people.

Wallace also used Twitter to hit back at Farthing’s supporters and condemned “bullying, falsehoods and threatening behavior” towards MoD staff saying that such views were “unacceptable.”

Tom Tugendhat, a Member of Parliament and a former army officer who served in Afghanistan, said on LBC Radio: “The difficulty is getting people into and out of the airport and we’ve just used a lot of troops to get in 200 dogs. Meanwhile, my interpreter’s family are likely to be killed.”

Full: https://www.businessinsider.com.au/afgh ... ied-2021-8
How would you like to be left at the mercy of the Taliban, Clutch?

Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:10 am How would you like to be left at the mercy of the Taliban, Clutch?

Given some of his offerings on the cute bird thread, it’s the mercy of Mrs Clutch that he covets most.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic