Cops doing the rounds

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Cops doing the rounds

Post by Sheepdog »

Just a heads up.. cops are out around TTP and other expat hotspots checking bars for boozing.. be careful! The cops seem to be losing their patience... more so than usual
Equinix
Expatriate

Re: Cops doing the rounds

Post by Equinix »

Sheepdog wrote:Just a heads up.. cops are out around TTP and other expat hotspots checking bars for boozing.. be careful! The cops seem to be losing their patience... more so than usual
Thanks for the update Image
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

There was a warning earlier that all restaurants had to close by 10.00. It seems most interpreted this as a curfew at 10.00. I was boozing in the area till 9.45.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Wednesday was panic stations on Riverside, we went full Taliban at 6pm, no booze (yes, really, NO BOOZE) and police visits were made after 7pm at a few places. Everywhere was empty!

Lat night, about 10pm, we got a group of about 20 young things showing up; either from TTP or the Bassac Lane set. They were clearly on the hunt for a new drinking den. Never seen any of them before and they were turned away. We had heard the word about TTP and Bassac Lane being told the game is up.

The police seem to be a bit more serious this time around. I suspect the blatant flouting didn't help and earlier this week people have been openly drinking outside.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:33 am Wednesday was panic stations on Riverside, we went full Taliban at 6pm, no booze (yes, really, NO BOOZE) and police visits were made after 7pm at a few places. Everywhere was empty!

Lat night, about 10pm, we got a group of about 20 young things showing up; either from TTP or the Bassac Lane set. They were clearly on the hunt for a new drinking den. Never seen any of them before and they were turned away. We had heard the word about TTP and Bassac Lane being told the game is up.

The police seem to be a bit more serious this time around. I suspect the blatant flouting didn't help and earlier this week people have been openly drinking outside.
Wow full Taliban! Women sporting burqas and such?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

canucklhead wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:16 am
Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:33 am Wednesday was panic stations on Riverside, we went full Taliban at 6pm, no booze (yes, really, NO BOOZE) and police visits were made after 7pm at a few places. Everywhere was empty!

Wow full Taliban! Women sporting burqas and such?
Yes, masks were worn by all female staff, and no booze. I went home, sod that.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Guess I should head home, then. Should be after 3 AM by now, if I could find my phone. Luckily, I dropped it, which found it.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

I think the cops have been pretty decent so far in not rounding up people or shutting places down completely in expat areas..

Though yesterday it seemed like they were getting close to it. I've seen the cops arrive a few times and have a quiet word with staff. They were much more pissed this time around! More of them also. Inspecting the tables, doing a head count etc

Getting your mugshot released to the public and your bike confiscated, along with slapping you with a fine could be a costly few drinks.

Think I'll be just boozing at home for a while!
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Little_Vicious »

Sounds like the authorities are annoyed and plan to crack down, according to the KT (for whatever that's worth). Looks like restrictions from here 'til eternity.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50924963/p ... -c-19-law/
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Little_Vicious »

Seems like they are back at it this weekend as well. According to the KT, the Blue Chili was raided.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50929186/5 ... hilli-bar/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic