I woke up thinking I was in China

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

I woke up thinking I was in China

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Sleepy eyed this morning after I woke up, I looked out from my balcony and this is what I saw..

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: I woke up thinking I was in China

Post by AndyKK »

The pandemic may have slowed down some work, but it seems like that it hasn't stopped it.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I remember waking up one morning, looking out across the vista from my balcony and noticing a brand new 40 story building just two blocks away that I swear 100% wasn't there when I went to bed.

My partner had no knowledge of ever seeing it under construction either.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

xandreu wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:08 pm I remember waking up one morning, looking out across the vista from my balcony and noticing a brand new 40 story building just two blocks away that I swear 100% wasn't there when I went to bed.

haha not so much about how quick the building's gone up but the Chinese signs that sprung up overnight.

I thought there was some law that such signage has to equally include khmer and be no bigger..
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

That's a lot of writing there. Maybe it's the the 1st page in the book of Xi Jinping thought. Keep an eye on it, it maybe change each day.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:21 pm
xandreu wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:08 pm I remember waking up one morning, looking out across the vista from my balcony and noticing a brand new 40 story building just two blocks away that I swear 100% wasn't there when I went to bed.

haha not so much about how quick the building's gone up but the Chinese signs that sprung up overnight.

I thought there was some law that such signage has to equally include khmer and be no bigger..
I know that's what you meant. I was just throwing a curveball into the thread. And yes, I always assumed there was some law regarding no Chinese text on its own without Khmer also, but maybe that only applies to store fronts? Then again, I've seen plenty of Chinese stores that don't display Khmer either so it might be another one of those optional laws that you choose to follow or not.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

clutchcargo wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:59 pm Image
I can't read any Chinese or Khmer script but this is what I've often seen installed for "topping off" ceremonies. 8)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:27 pm I can't read any Chinese or Khmer script but this is what I've often seen installed for "topping off" ceremonies. 8)
Well, there you go JB that explains it..thanks..I had to google it though coz I had no clue what it was although I guessed as much from your post.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topping_out

The building contractor follows this tradition then and presumably a Chinese company.
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by techietraveller84 »

The more lucky red banners, the less the likelihood of a premature collapse.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

techietraveller84 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:54 pm The more lucky red banners, the less the likelihood of a premature collapse.
No wonder so many buildings keep collapsing if this is what the structural engineers believe :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic