Bayon Airlines flights: PP to Sihanoukville

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Bayon Airlines flights: PP to Sihanoukville

Post by Anchor Moy »

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/business/ ... lle-81984/

But direct flights only on weekends - otherwise you have to make a "small detour" through Siem Reap.
Cambodia Bayon Airlines made its inaugural flight to Sihanoukville on Sunday, more than three months after the Chinese airline opened a daily route between Phnom Penh and Siem Reap City.

According to a statement from Bayon Airlines, a subsidiary of the state-owned Aviation Industry Corporation of China, the Xian MA60 turboprop left Phnom Penh at 8:10 a.m. and arrived in Sihanoukville at 11 a.m., following a short layover in Siem Reap.

“This flight marks the start of the Cambodia Bayon Airlines summer schedule, which has daily flights between Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, and Sihanouk Ville as well as direct flights from Phnom Penh to Sihanouk Ville on weekends,” the statement says.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Re: Bayon Airlines flights: PP to Sihanoukville

Post by Sailorman »

MA60 Chinese Turboprop which is a copy of the Russian AN-24. There is something wrong with this picture, can you find it? What could possibly go wrong? Flying a copy of a crappy Russian designed airplane and made in China, the same place that makes the garbage goods sold everywhere in Cambo. Tie to that probably little or no maintenance. The MA60 is flown by a bunch of third world airlines( purchase probably subsidized by the Chinese government.) BTW/ The MA60 cannot fly in the US and Europe.

I wished for flights into Snooky, but with a real airlines. Airasia tried to come into Snooky a couple of years ago, but the powers that be (Vietnam Airlines) made the "fees" too high. Snooky to KL in less than an hour, Singapore in a little over an hour, one can only dream. Until the Air Vietnam monopoly on flights in Cambo/SKV can be broken and a real airlines fly into Snooky, its just going to be a 4 hour+ ride on the "Highway From Hell" #4.

BTW/ It was an AN-24 that plowed into a hill outside of Snookyville in 2007. They seem to make a better Russian building ornament than a real airplane and a copy can't be any better.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I just did some research and in 2013 the government of New Zealand suspended millions of dollars in tourism aid to Tonga because of the unsafe MA60 turboprops Real Tonga Airlines was flying there (a new airplane at that and a gift from the government of China.) Bayon Airlines has something like 30 of these "unsafe" planes on order. Looks like the 4 hour taxi/bus ride on the Highway From Hell isn't looking as unsafe as flying these deathtraps.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I was just hoping this would be the start of regular flights between PP and S'ville. They are only proposing weekends anyway. Guess we just wait for the first plane crash - or should we hurry up and take the plane now before it needs maintenance ?
Looks like the 4 hour taxi/bus ride on the Highway From Hell isn't looking as unsafe as flying these deathtraps.
If they could even finish the bloody railway line and reduce the trucks on the road, that would also be an improvement. Not to mention a passenger train between PP and S'ville.(Which I do not expect to see in my lifetime.)

I am a cynic by nature, but in Cambodia that looks like optimism.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I believe the railway line is up and running, but the last I read was that the dry container port manager said that containers were not being put on the trains because "The paperwork hasn't been done yet." ($$$$) Seems like the "paperwork" ($$$$) has already been done between the container truck owners and the powers that be. They could care less about the death toll on the "Highway from Hell" #4, as long as they get to line their pockets. Make the swill-on-the-hill beer manufacturer ship by rail also. Highway #4 would be a backroad in America. Obviously my road tax hasn't been going into the roads, but also into someone's pocket.

Great looking '30s look train station in PP (all closed up.)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic